What's new

Blood?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Usually pretty good, but yeh, I'll cut myself if I have a bump on my skin like a pimple etc. Sometimes I find if I am to aggresive on xtg on my upperlip, I'll cut a corner of the hole where the hairs comes out of.... if that makes sense.

I had been doing really well, but I got quiiiite the weeper (I think) this past weekend... just kept going for about 10-15 mins it seemed...

Finally got it covered, and bought a styptic.

Almost never. Yesterday I shaved with a cartridge, and drew blood (so much for cartridges being safer than DE blades).
But I cannot remember the last time before that.

[ the cartridge shave was for the sake of science, and something I don't do that often ]

I haven't drawn serious blood since I began wet shaving. But carelessness like nicks happen just about whenever I use a new blade.

Been over a year since I've seen blood from my Fatip. My Gillette E injector got me a month ago, while shaving my mustache, but that was total inexperience since it hadn't been shaved in years. My shavette got me good just last week.

Two shaves in with a "real" straight and no blood yet. JINX...

Well, no fourpeat. Normally I only do one ATG pass on the back of my neck, but I decided to start with a WTG pass first this time, and discovered that my arm won't do that because geometry and physics. On the first stroke downward from the bottom of my ear, the blade went straight down to the point where it couldn't anymore, and then it slipped sideways and gave me a nice little slice on the side of my neck. It bled ever so slightly, but didn't stop for about ten minutes.

I was down to only the odd weeper every few shaves, using my favorite blades, and doing WTG, XTG, and WTG cleanup pass. The last couple weeks I changed to ATG for my third pass, and I probably get a weeper every time, or every second time. Trying a new brand means 2 or 3 weepers on average, unless it's a sweet blade that is going to be a favorite, lol!

I was down to only the odd weeper every few shaves, using my favorite blades, and doing WTG, XTG, and WTG cleanup pass. The last couple weeks I changed to ATG for my third pass, and I probably get a weeper every time, or every second time. Trying a new brand means 2 or 3 weepers on average, unless it's a sweet blade that is going to be a favorite, lol!

Wow! That is a lot! Are you sure that you are using the right razor / blade combination for your skin?

Yesterday the shave gods demanded a blood sacrifice i lopped the head off an ingrown hair on my neck with my gillette old type. Guess it was coming after only weepers occasionally the first 3 months of DE shaving

With my normal rotation of razors I'd say twice a month, usually when I'm in a rush. When trying new razors it happens more often and unless the frequency slows within the first month of use I go back to my trusty R41 and Weber PH.

I am surprised at how many weepers and nicks occur, based on what I read here!
Once every two or three weeks is still a lot, in my opinion.

I routinely blood let. Figure opening up some passages will bring the blood pressure down a couple notches :wink2:

Seriously though, I change variables all the time and I often cut myself. I don't mind the slice and dice look though. Makes me look tough.

If I just used a GSB and did 2 pass shaves I would go months without a weeper, but that would be routine and boring. I'm trying lots of blades, as well as as striving for smoother results. If a Shark gives me 2 little weepers ATG, no surprise since it isn't sharp enough to pass muster for me.

Shavettes and true straights are the only razors that ever give me more than a weeper, and the dreaded cut happens a couple times a year, always when proper attention, and focus is not given. Usually mind is wandering, thinking about somehting else, or got complacent. Then the edge of the blade sinks in, Yowza!

This.

I don't have a straight but have been experimenting with shavettes. I've learned to take my time and haven't had any cuts lately. The positive side of this is that the shave never becomes mechanical (so far). A shavette (or a straight, I assume) forces you to be present to the experience. You have to divorce yourself from the day.

This.

I don't have a straight but have been experimenting with shavettes. I've learned to take my time and haven't had any cuts lately. The positive side of this is that the shave never becomes mechanical (so far). A shavette (or a straight, I assume) forces you to be present to the experience. You have to divorce yourself from the day.

THIS!

This is precisely one of the biggest reasons I favour DE shaving over carts and straights over DE (I'm only trying out a shavette, not a regular) - you need to really concentrate on the task at hand, and when you do, things definitely turn out better.

Find white t shirt
Baking

Eyes liked stunned out cigarettes

I'm a terrible bleeder, and always have been. I've nicked/cut myself only once or twice over the years, but I'll almost always get a couple of weepers on my neck if I go ATG or XTG. They're usually pretty small, appearing to be small blood spots in the pore, which disappear after a rinse. I get fewer weepers with a DE than I did when I was using a cart, but I still haven't eliminated them entirely, despite trying different razor/blade combos and focusing on technique.

I had a barbershop shave last year, and the barber expressed surprise at how easily my skin bled. My brothers have always complained about having weeper-prone skin as well, and I'm told my late grandfather sulked about bleeding during shaving almost up until the day he passed away.

Doubtless, some of my blood loss could, and in future will be mitigated by improved technique and by finding products better suited to my skin, but I do think my skin is a little more fragile than average. When, from time to time, I watch shaving vids on YouTube, I more than often think that if I was to replicate their shave on my face, my skin would be in tatters.

I can't say I never nick myself shaving and draw blood, but I must admit it is fairly infrequent. About once a month. I don't believe I am especially skilled, just curious how often the rest of you draw blood while shaving.

After beginning my journey with straights, I would only cut myself on days ending in the letter "Y". Other than that, I'm pretty good to go now. Perhaps only 2 small nicks a week.

Frank

DE, very rarely these days. That being written, I've recently made the move to straights. I was trying a tricky XTG maneuver and made a shallow but long (about 1 inch) vertical slice by my jaw line. I didn't have the skin pulled as tight as I should and my attention drifted.

Top Bottom