What's new

Did the blade inventory, what do you think about these....

I just got home from a daylong business trip and had nothing better to do, so I inventoried my blades.

Among the ones I routinely use, there are a bunch of random blades that came with sample packs or the razors I bought.

Some of them I remember using. E.g.:

Rapira Chrome - as I recall it was pretty horrible, dull and scratchy.
Bolzano Superinox - would draw blood at a slightest provocation. Perhaps I should try it in my post-war Tech.
Bic Chromium - from what I remember a good blade, somewhere along the lines of Feather.
Personna Blue - if I recall correctly, my face did not agree with it. I have issues with some stainless blades, like Astra SS. But this was years ago, perhaps I should try it again.

Now, what do you say about these:

Derby Extra - as I recall reading, they are not sharp and generally meh. I have a 5-pack that I never opened.
Shark Super Chrome - ?
Chrome Diamante - ?
Muhle - I have a single blade that came with R41. Should I risk it ?
Baili - I have a single green Baili blade. Anyone tried it ?

P.S. I must have have purchased blades more often than I recall doing, as I have more in the box than I expected. 370 Astra SP, 191 Feather, 94 Derby Premium (these I just didn't use all that often, but still I am pretty sure I used up more than 6...). So at least 4 years' worth.

Last edited:
I just got home from a daylong business trip and had nothing better to do, so I inventoried my blades.

Among the ones I routinely use, there are a bunch of random blades that came with sample packs or the razors I bought.

Bolzano Superinox - would draw blood at a slightest provocation. Perhaps I should try it in my post-war Tech.
Bic Chromium - from what I remember a good blade, somewhere along the lines of Feather.
Personna Blue - if I recall correctly, my face did not agree with it. I have issues with some stainless blades, like Astra SS. But this was years ago, perhaps I should try it again.

Derby Extra - as I recall reading, they are not sharp and generally meh. I have a 5-pack that I never opened.
Shark Super Chrome - ?
Chrome Diamante - ?

P.S. I must have have purchased blades more often than I recall doing, as I have more in the box than I expected. 370 Astra SP, 191 Feather, 94 Derby Premium (these I just didn't use all that often, but still I am pretty sure I used up more than 6...). So at least 4 years' worth.
I see this as a chance to go back and try some blades that may work for you now. We change as we get better at shaving. I found this out. I have come to realize that I can now use pretty much any blade anymore and get good shaves from them. If I were you I would give them a shot.

Shark Super Chrome - ?
Chrome Diamante - ?

You have over 650 blades. That would be between from 26 up to 40 years of blades according to my current usage. So try all you have... You never know.

You have over 650 blades. That would be between from 26 up to 40 years of blades according to my current usage. So try all you have... You never know.
704 to be exact. That's not counting what's already loaded in the razors, and a coulple opened packs with a few blades in each that I keep with some razors. I don't stretch the blades that long. Typically I replace them after 4-5 shaves, and I shave every day. So that's "only" about 8-9 years worth... but there are other blades that I want to try. Right after getting into wet shaving, I pretty much stuck with what worked for me and stocked up on Astras and Feathers. Also have the remnants of my 1st sample pack, plus that Derby Premium purchase because I wanted to try them and was too cheap to pay $4 for the sample of 5 when I could have a 100 of them for $9. But there are other blades I want to try - Gillette Silver Blues, Nacets, Wizamets etc. Blades are cheap, life is short...

PS Good thing I bought 200 Feathers when they were half the current price. Talk about inflation. Wow.

704 to be exact. That's not counting what's already loaded in the razors, and a coulple opened packs with a few blades in each that I keep with some razors. I don't stretch the blades that long. Typically I replace them after 4-5 shaves, and I shave every day. So that's "only" about 8-9 years worth... but there are other blades that I want to try. Right after getting into wet shaving, I pretty much stuck with what worked for me and stocked up on Astras and Feathers. Also have the remnants of my 1st sample pack, plus that Derby Premium purchase because I wanted to try them and was too cheap to pay $4 for the sample of 5 when I could have a 100 of them for $9. But there are other blades I want to try - Gillette Silver Blues, Nacets, Wizamets etc. Blades are cheap, life is short...

PS Good thing I bought 200 Feathers when they were half the current price. Talk about inflation. Wow.
I am trying Feather blade only this month and it should be my second attempt in last 5 years. Shame on me... 😂 😂 I am finding it a fantastic sharp and smooth blade even at 17th shave that I had with it.

It’s indeed a fantastic blade, especially in a mild razor. Also may want to consider Bic, from what I recall they were close to Feathers in sharpness but are now quite a bit cheaper. The longevity is pretty good too.

Shark Super Chrome - ?
Chrome Diamante - ?

Derby extra like shaving with a rusty butter knife.

Lots of great info on blades around here and blades are not expensive to try. I've enjoyed exploring the Chinese options discussed around here and am presently interested in the Dorcos, also because of discussion here.

Which ones are you looking at? I have Dorco New Cutting Edge Tech. and Titan and Dorco HQ Tech. ST300 on hand if you're interested.

Which ones are you looking at? I have Dorco New Cutting Edge Tech. and Titan and Dorco HQ Tech. ST300 on hand if you're interested.
Not sure actually, something from the newer Vietnam production. But I don't know what the differences are between the ST300, the Primes and the Titans.

Not sure actually, something from the newer Vietnam production. But I don't know what the differences are between the ST300, the Primes and the Titans.

I just rechecked my stash. I have a tuck of Prime Platinum too. Shoot me a PM/DM with your address and I can send a few of each your way. They didn't really work out for me.

There is a thread here on the Dorco blades that tries to sort out the variations. I believe the ST300's and Prime Platinum's I have are from the newer Vietnam production.

Here's a PSA announcement regarding B & B's Great Blade Exchange:

If anyone has blades they no longer want, please consider shipping tucks or packages of 100's to the Great Blade Exchange. Send me a PM asking how to donate to the GBE & I'll send you my mailing information. If you want to send more than 2 - 5 tucks, those donations will also be accepted & appreciated.
We rely on the kindness of members to keep the GBE stocked & current with new in-the-market blades.
During our PM conversation I'll let you know if any brands in the GBE have sufficient inventory where additional donations of that brand of blade are not currently needed.
Thank you!!!!

We will now return to your regularly scheduled program.

My inventory:
Bic Chrome Platinum 52, plus 1 in the King C Gillette razor (shaving)
King C. Gillette 6, plus 1 in the Van der Hagen razor (buffing)

IME, the first shave with Personna Blue is nothing special. I think it takes one shave to get the comfort coating worn off or smoothed away or something. Second shave should be very nice and they seem to stay sharp for several more shaves. You should try it again and I think you'll enjoy subsequent shaves with the blade.

Shark Super Chrome - ?
Chrome Diamante - ?

I hated the Bolzano. It had micro burrs, and left me looking for the moisturizer seconds after the shave. Derby Extra, I liked it several years ago in a Maggard razor. I didn't like it in the Vikings Blade Emperor. I've got a couple left, I should toss one in the Maggard, and see if it works better.

Top Bottom