What's new

Blood?

I have s pretty big rotation and catch the scar on my chin occasionally with my more aggressive razors... once in a while it's a nick but usually a weeper. Never any cuts or major nicks. Once I've had a weeper or minor nick on my scar i have a hard time keeping it from recurring.

Weepers are there about once or twice a week, nicks about once a month or less, and actual cuts never.

I haven't had a nick or a gash in I can't remember how long. I will get a weeper maybe once a month and it's always in the same spot on my neck. The hair there grows in spirals!

have gone entirely over to straights after 20 years on DEs and not a cut in years, other day I went back to my DE being in a tearing hurry—gave my self a full blade length cut on my upper lip—worse than anything I'd managed with the straights. meh... pride cometh etc etc...

I get weepers now and again, but have only nicked myself once since I began wet shaving. I've been lucky so far....

I've got two bumps on either side of my head, right behind each ear, where I routinely nick myself. They're little bumps like tiny naked warts you can't see with the naked eye, not big sprawling hills like an Adams apple or the twin hills at the back and base of the neck. I have gotten a few major weepers (if I understand the difference, a weeper is when the razor takes off some of the skin and exposes tons of tiny capillaries that basically weep blood forever and don't want to stop, whereas a nick is a tiny cut, correct me if I'm wrong), mostly in the blind spot covering most of the back of my head, but not in the last few days. I think I'm getting the hang of it (he says before shaving possibly a tad hungover tomorrow morning and turning his head into a giant blood sweating weeper monster) .

I don't have aggressive razors regardless of blade (although I did learn to take more care with Feathers).
I find that when I do get a weeper (not often), it is usually from rushing or if I have not used a razor in quite some time, adjusting to a slightly different angle.

if I understand the difference, a weeper is when the razor takes off some of the skin and exposes tons of tiny capillaries that basically weep blood forever and don't want to stop, whereas a nick is a tiny cut, correct me if I'm wrong

You may be right and I may be wrong here, but the way I understand it is, a nick is when you slice of a little piece of skin (what you're calling a weeper) and a weeper is those little bits of blood that are little more than irritation. Like when you go for am atg pass and end up with blood on your chin, but tall cut and the blood stops with a cold water splash.

Hmm... Now I want to know. Seems like you're probably right, and probably just being polite by not saying so directly.

While we're at it, what does DFS mean? I'm sure it is closely related to BBS, which I've deduced must mean something like "baby bottom smooth," but I can't figure out DFS.

I have never cut myself shaving with a DE/SE. Like others have said, the only time i actually bleed (very little) is when i do an extra ATG pass (adams apple area). Cold water solves that real quick.

In over 2 years of shaving the traditional way, i just make sure to pay attention when i shave. I never rush.

5 shaves in with my straight razor. Nics on every shave so far but the last shave was the funniest. It had gone really well even did ATG on my neck without out an issue. Then doing under my nose I got up close to the mirror so I could really see what I was doing, tapped the mirror with the handle and put a nic right under my nose. If it hadn't have been for that silly mistake it would have been perfect.

Live and learn.

Depends a lot on the razor. If it is a DE that I've been using for a while and I'm comfortable with, almost never. Once I get the feel of a razor it becomes instinctive and I can do it with my eyes closed (almost). When I switch to a different razor though, there is a period of getting used to it that usually involves a couple weepers here and there for a week or so.

SE's and injectors, very rarely will I ever get a weeper.

Shavettes, every few days it seems, lately. That's probably because I'm trying to rush, and not taking the time or care I should be.

Shavettes and true straights are the only razors that ever give me more than a weeper, and the dreaded cut happens a couple times a year, always when proper attention, and focus is not given. Usually mind is wandering, thinking about somehting else, or got complacent. Then the edge of the blade sinks in, Yowza!

proxy.php

This thread (and particularly turtle's post) had me thinking -

Has anyone here cut himself so badly that the blood won't stop? - had to put on a dressing (or I hope not - stitches)?

P.S. - I would be glad if everyone responds with a negative on that one.

Nothing that a little alum block or stypic pen wouldn't stop...

Top Bottom