What's new

Help establish shave rating criteria?

Well as long as it’s subjective, this is how I rate my shaves.

RatingConsistencyQualityComfortEffectiveness
10Carbon CopyCleanGlideFestBBS+ / Marble
9Significantly consistentRed spotsButtery smoothBBS
8Highly consistentMultiple weepersSmoothBBS-
7Very consistentNickComfortableDFS
6ConsistentCutTuggyDFS-
5Somewhat consistentMultiple cutsHarshCCS
4Fairly consistentDivotPullingCCS-
3Getting consistentMultiple divotsUncomfortableSAS
2Not consistentSweeneyStop shaving!SAS-
1FreewheelingSweeneysStop shaving!No shave
This seems about right.

What did you use today? And rate it from 1-10.

Yet we have no objective standards for what constitutes a "10". Or any other number. It's all subjective. What if there is a definitive set of targets to meet in order to claim a 10? Or an 8? Would this maybe provide a standard to work for? Let me demonstrate what I mean.

A rating of "1" You remember starting to shave, but don't remember the trip to the hospital or know why the nurse is asking if your tetanus shots are up to date.

Has anyone ever claimed a 1?

"10" Say...90% or better BBS? No nicks, weepers. No irritation. Just a bit of tingle to let you know the alum and AS is working.

The tough part is supplying the criteria for 2 thru 9.

A "9" is perhaps no more than one weeper or one patch of irritation?

If I draw blood, I don't feel right claiming a 10, after all.

An "8" is two cuts or a larger area of irritation.

And so on and so forth.

Or am I being overly pedantic? Or is it that I find New Years Day to be the most boring of days off? Boring, grey...and cold?
Going thru a lot of blades (16 different ones) that I got for Christmas. First test was 2 shaves (different soaps) with a sample of each blade. If I needed to moisturize my face, the blade was considered to be a failure. 5 failed.
Since then, I've been doing a VS b. Winner goes to the next round.
At this point it's kind of the balance between close shave and comfortable shave. I'm over 60 so comfortable is more important.

Unfortunately, I've hit a problem in the plan.
I've been going thru blades, and Derby Extra got knocked out on round 1 with my Emperor blade (needs immediate skin conditioner).
I remembered it being decent on my Maggard M1/v3 standard.
I pulled it out and put a Derby in. It was a lot better in the M1... not great, but it didn't need immediate moisturizer either.
The razor is as much a variable as anything else.

I hate to throw this out there, because it adds an exponential level of complication, but there is a spiritual dimension at play here too. Anything over an 8 has to leave me in a zen-like state... relaxed and revitalized in my mind and attitude, in addition to all the already mentioned criteria. A perfect shave that just didn't impart a distinct sense of peace and wellbeing simply can't be a 9 or 10. Today's shave, for example, while technically okay, left me wide eyed and rather fearful - I've never tried a Feather before and the experience was like dancing with the devil rather than angels singing, LOL!

Top Bottom