What's new

Review of the My-Blades Silver blade

Based on this topic I decided to review both blades made by this company. A while ago I reviewed the Premium blade: My-Blade Premium Blade Review. Yesterday I gave the My-Blade Silver a try. I have a thick and curly beard usually I use a blade like the Astra SP, Permasharp or the Feathers the My-Blades Premium isn't a blade I would use or recommend to anyone because IMHO it's a bad and expensive blade. Is the Silver blade better?

Let's move on! I used exactly the same setup as the previous time except this time I used the Palmolive Classic shaving cream:

Razor: Merkur Progress (used the 5th setting for all the passes; WTG, XTG and ATG)
Blade: My-Blades Silver
Brush: Semogue 820
Shaving cream: Palmolive Classic
Bowl: my cheap copper bowl
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Whiskey woods
Preshave: a hot shower as always

1st pass - WTG:
After the shower I made the lather in my bowl, the Palmolive Classic reminds me of my old man who used it since the day I can remember. I loaded the Progress with the Silver blade and dialed in the highest setting and start to shave. I'm going to be very honest because it was very rough. I was disappointed but I kinda expected the blade to perform like this. It felt like a blade that's even worse than a Derby Extra, I had the feeling that the blade isn't sharp enough like the Astra SP, Permasharp or the Feather. This is the blade that you should never recommend to a beginner since there are many better blades on the market.

2st pass - XTG:
I was so glad I finished the WTG pass now it was time for the XTG pass. Like always rinse and re-apply the lather and start shaving! Now the blade was pulling it really felt like a dull blade. I have a hard time believing that there is anyone on this planet that would love this blade. To me this blade is horrible. I never thought I would experience this again but I had some razor burns. I have been DE shaving since 2012 and the only times when I had razor burns was when I used the Derby Extra razor when I shaved for the first time with a DE blade. On my second shave I used an Astra SP and I didn't have any razor burn at all. This says a lot about the Silver blade, this blade is not sharp enough.

3st pass - ATG:
Now I was wondering why I was sacrificing my face for these review. I had some razor burns but I still went for an ATG. I dialed the Progress to the lowest setting. The blade does what it needs to do but it's not super sharp like the blades I usually use. I always attempt to go for a BBS I had a rough time on the stache area, neck and jawline. I had some nicks on my neck and jawline. Thank God I was done. I wish I still had the Proraso Green AS which works great against razor burns. I rinsed my face and applied the AS on my face.

Aftermath:
So what happened next? I had some razor burns on my face and my face felt weird, I did get a BBS but it wasn't worth using this blade. The next day I had rash on my face, it's 12 years ago since I got razor rash because I used a horrible blade (Derby Extra). This was God telling me that this blade is a bad blade and why you shouldn't use them too.

Platinum vs Silver:
The Platinum is a better blade compared to the Silver but the Platinum is a horrible blade and pretty expensive. The Platinum razor shaves like a bad Derby Extra blade while the Silver shaves worse than a bad Derby Extra blade. I know how it goes on these boards, you read about a product and then you hear that voice in your head telling you to order it, you feel the butterflies in your stomach as if you're in love and you're scared that you'll be missing out on a great product. Let me tell you one thing: DONT. Just don't buy any My-Blades blades, don't even THINK about it this time!!! They're not worth the money, you can get so many better blades for the money you'll spend on these blades.

The Silver blades cost €13.90 for 100 blades. You can buy 100 Astra SP's for less and the Astra SP is a superior blade compared to both My-Blade Platinum and Silver blades. The main problem I have with the My-Blade company and their blades is their claims. Let's look at this:

1700079270171.png

I have a really hard time to believe these claims.

Extra hard blade? The Platinum blade is harder I felt I needed less pressure to bend the Silver blade compared to the Platinum blade.
German steel? As in the Made-In-Solingen steel?
Extra Sharp? The Platinum blade is sharper, the Silver shaves like a dull Derby Extra.
Made for professional? Professional what? Most people never heard of this blade at all. My barber uses Permasharps like most barbers here.

The next statement is very confusing:
1700079780436.png

So these blades are made with German steel in Pakistan? What about the electronic furnace they mentioned on their website which they own? How did they ship the blades from Pakistan to Germany? You can't use a diesel ship or an airplane because .. you know... environment... You see these claims are super ridiculous. I have a hard reason to believe them, why would a professional barber use an inferior blade? It's hard to beat the blade manufacturers who have been in the game for decades.

The verdict:
I would recommend NONE of their blade to ANYONE! Sure this might sound harsh well I can be this harsh because I paid for their razors. I didn't get anything free so I'm going to be honest (even if I got anything for free I still would be honest about it). The other issue like I have mentioned before is their claims about the green bull****. To me this sounds like an another company that wants to milk out the followers of the climate change cult. I would give them the credits IF the razors are good but they aren't.

If I had to rate these blades I would give them both a 1 out of 10. Not worth the money, inferior blades, pricey, there are better options available out there. I have no idea what I should do with the remaining blades, I might PIF them if you're reading this and you still want to try them then send me a PM I'll send you a pack of My-Blades Premium (10 blades) and My-Blades SIlver (10 blades).

@euro, I've enjoyed reading your thorough reviews of both My Blade blades. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of each blade. If you would consider donating some to the Great Blade Exchange for others to try, I would be happy to add them to the GBE inventory. Send me a PM & I'll send you the mailing information.

Based on this topic I decided to review both blades made by this company. A while ago I reviewed the Premium blade: My-Blade Premium Blade Review. Yesterday I gave the My-Blade Silver a try. I have a thick and curly beard usually I use a blade like the Astra SP, Permasharp or the Feathers the My-Blades Premium isn't a blade I would use or recommend to anyone because IMHO it's a bad and expensive blade. Is the Silver blade better?

Let's move on! I used exactly the same setup as the previous time except this time I used the Palmolive Classic shaving cream:

Razor: Merkur Progress (used the 5th setting for all the passes; WTG, XTG and ATG)
Blade: My-Blades Silver
Brush: Semogue 820
Shaving cream: Palmolive Classic
Bowl: my cheap copper bowl
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Whiskey woods
Preshave: a hot shower as always

1st pass - WTG:
After the shower I made the lather in my bowl, the Palmolive Classic reminds me of my old man who used it since the day I can remember. I loaded the Progress with the Silver blade and dialed in the highest setting and start to shave. I'm going to be very honest because it was very rough. I was disappointed but I kinda expected the blade to perform like this. It felt like a blade that's even worse than a Derby Extra, I had the feeling that the blade isn't sharp enough like the Astra SP, Permasharp or the Feather. This is the blade that you should never recommend to a beginner since there are many better blades on the market.

2st pass - XTG:
I was so glad I finished the WTG pass now it was time for the XTG pass. Like always rinse and re-apply the lather and start shaving! Now the blade was pulling it really felt like a dull blade. I have a hard time believing that there is anyone on this planet that would love this blade. To me this blade is horrible. I never thought I would experience this again but I had some razor burns. I have been DE shaving since 2012 and the only times when I had razor burns was when I used the Derby Extra razor when I shaved for the first time with a DE blade. On my second shave I used an Astra SP and I didn't have any razor burn at all. This says a lot about the Silver blade, this blade is not sharp enough.

3st pass - ATG:
Now I was wondering why I was sacrificing my face for these review. I had some razor burns but I still went for an ATG. I dialed the Progress to the lowest setting. The blade does what it needs to do but it's not super sharp like the blades I usually use. I always attempt to go for a BBS I had a rough time on the stache area, neck and jawline. I had some nicks on my neck and jawline. Thank God I was done. I wish I still had the Proraso Green AS which works great against razor burns. I rinsed my face and applied the AS on my face.

Aftermath:
So what happened next? I had some razor burns on my face and my face felt weird, I did get a BBS but it wasn't worth using this blade. The next day I had rash on my face, it's 12 years ago since I got razor rash because I used a horrible blade (Derby Extra). This was God telling me that this blade is a bad blade and why you shouldn't use them too.

Platinum vs Silver:
The Platinum is a better blade compared to the Silver but the Platinum is a horrible blade and pretty expensive. The Platinum razor shaves like a bad Derby Extra blade while the Silver shaves worse than a bad Derby Extra blade. I know how it goes on these boards, you read about a product and then you hear that voice in your head telling you to order it, you feel the butterflies in your stomach as if you're in love and you're scared that you'll be missing out on a great product. Let me tell you one thing: DONT. Just don't buy any My-Blades blades, don't even THINK about it this time!!! They're not worth the money, you can get so many better blades for the money you'll spend on these blades.

The Silver blades cost €13.90 for 100 blades. You can buy 100 Astra SP's for less and the Astra SP is a superior blade compared to both My-Blade Platinum and Silver blades. The main problem I have with the My-Blade company and their blades is their claims. Let's look at this:

View attachment 1748978

I have a really hard time to believe these claims.

Extra hard blade? The Platinum blade is harder I felt I needed less pressure to bend the Silver blade compared to the Platinum blade.
German steel? As in the Made-In-Solingen steel?
Extra Sharp? The Platinum blade is sharper, the Silver shaves like a dull Derby Extra.
Made for professional? Professional what? Most people never heard of this blade at all. My barber uses Permasharps like most barbers here.

The next statement is very confusing:
View attachment 1748980

So these blades are made with German steel in Pakistan? What about the electronic furnace they mentioned on their website which they own? How did they ship the blades from Pakistan to Germany? You can't use a diesel ship or an airplane because .. you know... environment... You see these claims are super ridiculous. I have a hard reason to believe them, why would a professional barber use an inferior blade? It's hard to beat the blade manufacturers who have been in the game for decades.

The verdict:
I would recommend NONE of their blade to ANYONE! Sure this might sound harsh well I can be this harsh because I paid for their razors. I didn't get anything free so I'm going to be honest (even if I got anything for free I still would be honest about it). The other issue like I have mentioned before is their claims about the green bull****. To me this sounds like an another company that wants to milk out the followers of the climate change cult. I would give them the credits IF the razors are good but they aren't.

If I had to rate these blades I would give them both a 1 out of 10. Not worth the money, inferior blades, pricey, there are better options available out there. I have no idea what I should do with the remaining blades, I might PIF them if you're reading this and you still want to try them then send me a PM I'll send you a pack of My-Blades Premium (10 blades) and My-Blades SIlver (10 blades).
Euro
your review was very extensive and detailed. I have also tried both blades and have had the exact opposite results from you. I found the Platinum blades to be smooth and relatively sharp. I found that they work best in an aggressive razor. My results with the platinum in a milder razor were more closely associated with your results. As to the Silver, I found t to be much sharper than the Platinum but just as smooth. I used the Platinum in the Ares, Rockwell T2 SS and Blackbird and my shaves were flawless. I used my regular selection of software, pre, during and post shave. I had a BBS with each one. I absolutely do no doubt your results. But as has always been said, shaving is totally subjective and YMMV.
i believe everyone should at least try the blades and decide for themselves. I know that individual tucks are available in Europe and maybe in the US soon.

I LOVE this part of your review…. made me LOL
Platinum vs Silver:
The Platinum is a better blade compared to the Silver but the Platinum is a horrible blade and pretty expensive. The Platinum razor shaves like a bad Derby Extra blade while the Silver shaves worse than a bad Derby Extra blade.
Maybe you just aren’t a seasoned aficionado of Pakistani razor blades made from space rockets and fighter jets! 😜

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good, honest, and very well-done review. Thanks for taking a hit for the Team.

Thanks for the review--sounds like something to avoid. However, the Derby Extra blades work for some of us. ;)
The fact that the Derby blades work for some is exactly why the user should take the reviews with a grain of salt. All of wet shaving is YMMV. It is certainly your choice whether to blindly follow anyone's review, including mine, or try it for yourself.

Euro
your review was very extensive and detailed. I have also tried both blades and have had the exact opposite results from you. I found the Platinum blades to be smooth and relatively sharp. I found that they work best in an aggressive razor. My results with the platinum in a milder razor were more closely associated with your results. As to the Silver, I found t to be much sharper than the Platinum but just as smooth. I used the Platinum in the Ares, Rockwell T2 SS and Blackbird and my shaves were flawless. I used my regular selection of software, pre, during and post shave. I had a BBS with each one. I absolutely do no doubt your results. But as has always been said, shaving is totally subjective and YMMV.
i believe everyone should at least try the blades and decide for themselves. I know that individual tucks are available in Europe and maybe in the US soon.
Maybe I'm used to sharper blades like the Feathers? I'm even considering trying out the Derby Extra again to see how it goes. One other thing I didn't like about the company which I didn't mention in their review is their shipping fee to the US. It's just way too much, you might be lucky but if you aren't then you'll have to pay import tax which will make it even more expensive.

I was checking the shipping fees from Holland to the US and with a 500 gram letterbox it's 12 euro. That's not much sometimes I pay 9 euro when I order something locally. I think My-Blades should do more promotion, they don't have a Facebook page their site looks unfinished and IMHO they really should focus on the American market. It's just a guess but I think the American market is bigger than the European market.

I too got a BBS with this blade but the shave went really rough, if I use a Feather blade in any razor then it goes very smoothly (same with the Astra SP's and Permasharps). Sure they're sharp but my face doesn't like them, and the way how they're marketing these blades is just ridiculous. IMHO if you really cared about the environment then you shouldn't be on the internet to begin with. They should be honest about their practice, I get it they're new and they're competing against companies who have been making these blades for decades but TBH if they made a superior product then anyone would be talking about them. I mean if you read topics here on a daily basis you'll always see certain brands being mentioned, that is for a reason.

@euro, I've enjoyed reading your thorough reviews of both My Blade blades. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of each blade. If you would consider donating some to the Great Blade Exchange for others to try, I would be happy to add them to the GBE inventory. Send me a PM & I'll send you the mailing information.
I got your PM and replied back, I'll be going to the post office this Saturday. I'll add some extra Astra SP's, Permasharps and Feathers.

The fact that the Derby blades work for some is exactly why the user should take the reviews with a grain of salt. All of wet shaving is YMMV. It is certainly your choice whether to blindly follow anyone's review, including mine, or try it for yourself.
That is so true. What works for me might not work for you, I'm even surprised to see positive reviews about the Derby Extra blade. Thank God for sample packs.

Maybe I'm used to sharper blades like the Feathers? I'm even considering trying out the Derby Extra again to see how it goes. One other thing I didn't like about the company which I didn't mention in their review is their shipping fee to the US. It's just way too much, you might be lucky but if you aren't then you'll have to pay import tax which will make it even more expensive.

I was checking the shipping fees from Holland to the US and with a 500 gram letterbox it's 12 euro. That's not much sometimes I pay 9 euro when I order something locally. I think My-Blades should do more promotion, they don't have a Facebook page their site looks unfinished and IMHO they really should focus on the American market. It's just a guess but I think the American market is bigger than the European market.

I too got a BBS with this blade but the shave went really rough, if I use a Feather blade in any razor then it goes very smoothly (same with the Astra SP's and Permasharps). Sure they're sharp but my face doesn't like them, and the way how they're marketing these blades is just ridiculous. IMHO if you really cared about the environment then you shouldn't be on the internet to begin with. They should be honest about their practice, I get it they're new and they're competing against companies who have been making these blades for decades but TBH if they made a superior product then anyone would be talking about them. I mean if you read topics here on a daily basis you'll always see certain brands being mentioned, that is for a reason.

I got your PM and replied back, I'll be going to the post office this Saturday. I'll add some extra Astra SP's, Permasharps and Feathers.

That is so true. What works for me might not work for you, I'm even surprised to see positive reviews about the Derby Extra blade. Thank God for sample packs.
Euro
You are correct when you say they could have done a much better job promo their product. I know they are trying. They are also reaching out to US companies to carry their products. We’ll see what comes of that. If they can’t find someone, then I agree they will be too expensive.
With all that said. I do like the blades.

Thanks to a generous donor, the Great Blade Exchange now has My-Blades Silver & Platinum in its inventory. Click the link in my signature to learn more about the GBE & how to try the My-Blades.
IMG_6262.jpg

Top Bottom