What's new

Beretta 92fs

Good morning. First post here, and actually registered because of this thread.

Beretta is well loved in my house.

LOTS of good information has been presented, thus far. A couple points I’ll address:
1. If you’re not comfortable with safety lever manipulation, conversion to “G”, or Decock Only, is now easy. It’s $60 in parts, and there are plenty of videos showing disassembly. Beretta M9 | 92/96 G Conversion Kit - https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-g-lever-kit/
2. Improving the DA trigger pull is as simple as replacing the OEM 20# hammer spring with a lighter spring. 16# is common, but 14# isn’t out of the norm and shouldn’t compromise reliability. If it’s in the budget, the Trigger Job In A Bag from Langdon Tactical Technology is worth its weight in gold.
3. Mec-Gar magazines are phenomenal and increase capacity without sacrificing reliability.
4. Replace your recoil spring every 5000 rounds.
When you can, get some quality training.

Enjoy your new blaster. You’ve made an excellent choice.
Regards,
Jeremy

Attachments

• AE4449E7-7AF8-44D3-B5B9-72A16E7355E9.jpeg
    AE4449E7-7AF8-44D3-B5B9-72A16E7355E9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Yup, training. Any thing you are going to bet your life on you should train with until operating it is instinctual double or single action.

In a crisis shooting situation, you will immediately revert to the lowest level of your training. If your training is weak or non-existent, well, you likely will not survive…

I own 2, 92F’s and carried one for years, one is still a house gun with attached 150 lumen LED, and grip switch. For home defense you can’t beat the attached light. In the middle of the night when you grab your pistol you don’t want to be fumbling around looking for a flashlight.

The 92F is bullet proof. Buy the best training you can afford. Nothing beats a professional standing over your shoulder critiquing/perfecting your every move, what you learn will probably save your life, should you ever need it.

Years ago, when cheap plastic helmets were flooding in from overseas and selling for $10. Bell helmets that sold for considerably more, ran an ad campaign full page adds in magazines and motorcycle papers with a picture of a Bell Helmet, all it said was,

“Have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet. If you think your head is worth a little more, buy a Bell.”

The 92fs can be a very nice DAO, all you have to do is file off the SA hammer notch. DA/SA was the wunder concept of the '80s-'90s (late '70s if you insist), and its largely a hold-out design that sells more because of the reputation of the platforms rather than any practical advantage.

Sigs are muuuuch better DAO. Berettas are too.

Both are superlative SAs, but that's a whole other discussion.😁

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The Beretta is a beautiful pistol. Sadly, it was the length of reach from the pistol’s blackstrap, to placing my short, stubby trigger finger completely extended, with the tip of my finger pad, barely on the trigger.

with absolutely no bend in the knuckle and attempting to pull the 15 pound trigger and heavy hammer spring completely rearward, those design mechanics in the frame of the pistol which creates it’s extraordinary length of pull was my problem.

It created a 30 pound pull for me, from a 15 pound trigger. Even if the trigger was upgraded with different springs, what would the pull have been? 8 pounds realistically? Because the long reach from blackstrap to trigger for me anyway, still would double that 8 pound upgraded trigger to a still perceived 16 pounds for me and my stubby short finger with extended knuckle.

There just wasn’t any slack left or bend in my finger, in order to make a accurate, and controlled first double action shot.

Subsequent shots in single action were amazing, but that beautiful piece of machinery, just didn’t fit my hand enough to be confident carrying it as a potential self defense weapon.

Many other wonder 9’s from the 80’s with double action triggers had this same design in their frames which made long heavy trigger pulls, even heavier for women or men with smaller hands and short fingers.

I’m sure it’s why I prefer striker fired or single action pistols for self defense.
The first shot is that important for me, to makes sure I am carrying something that totally works for me.

:)

The only times I fired a Beretta was in USAF Officer qualifications, and that was only once a year for a few years in reserves about 25 years ago. My first semi auto was a Browning HP then a couple of Colt Gold Cups, so really did not care for the da/sa of the Beretta. I do remember shooting a nice tight group with it though, accurate it was, but just did not feel right to me. Now my only non 1911 type is a little Sig P365 with manual safety, It has a nice trigger, better than the micro 9 Sig P938, a 1911 type also, so basically the same manual of arms as my big single actions, but no hammer.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I'm interested in the M9, and I've read through this thread a few times but I am still a little confused.

As far as DA+SA mode is concerned, I've only owned one pistol, an HK USP 40, and regretfully sold it. I only fired a few rounds through it, but I found the DA+SA mode failrly intuitive after a few minutes of handling it.

Is there something weird or unusual specific to the M9 that is different from other DA+SA mode pistols?

Am I correct, that the most noteworthy issue is the safety puts the hammer forward when activated, and this might happen accidentally (because of it's location on the slide, and/or not paying attention, and/or not using a proper grip) when pulling the slide?

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the "problem" correctly. Thanks.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I'm interested in the M9, and I've read through this thread a few times but I am still a little confused.

As far as DA+SA mode is concerned, I've only owned one pistol, an HK USP 40, and regretfully sold it. I only fired a few rounds through it, but I found the DA+SA mode failrly intuitive after a few minutes of handling it.

Is there something weird or unusual specific to the M9 that is different from other DA+SA mode pistols?

Am I correct, that the most noteworthy issue is the safety puts the hammer forward when activated, and this might happen accidentally (because of it's location on the slide, and/or not paying attention, and/or not using a proper grip) when pulling the slide?

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the "problem" correctly. Thanks.

You could line 10 people up and ask them what they think about any certain brand, style or type of pistol and you will get 10 completely different opinions.

It’s as personal and individual a choice or preference as is shaving with a brand of DE razor blades.

I am more of a striker fired guy when it comes to the style and preference of operating system I personally prefer in my combat pistols.

However, it just so happens the very first 9mm pistol I ever purchased with my own hard earned money, was a Beretta 92FS. Which is the civilian designation and name for your M9. :)

At the time the movies Die Hard and Lethal Weapon were all the rage, and both of those sexy guys Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson ran around handling their bad guy business with that beautiful sexy pistol.

I wanted to be just like them, but with a fro. :)

While I was pretty young and still didn’t know a whole lot about firearms, I will tell you of my experience with it’s double action/single action hammer and operating system.

Just remember, my review is only my own and there are and will be countless others forth coming that will be completely different, but no less true and accurate from their individual perspectives. And this entailes the good and the bad or the positive and or negative.

I loved the smooth slick action of the Beretta 92FS. I lived in a tough neighborhood at the time and many a night if I heard a bump in the night that needed investigation, I could pick up that pistol and rack a round into the chamber so slick, so smooth so easy and so quiet, I couldn’t even hear it myself. And I was the one holding and racking the pistol!
There is only one word that can describe that kind of smooth, quality action.

“Butter”. :). And did I mention how sexy looking it is? Oh yeah, I did.

It handled and pointed like a dream, a dream I tell ya. Balanced perfectly, pointed naturally, sleek, refined, ergonomic. Loved it’s safety / de cocker lever where you could totally disengage the firing pin rendering it totally safe with the flip of my thumb.

What’s not to love right?

Until I fired the damn thing for the first time.

My love affair was broken from the beginning first shot, only because of it’s double action first pull. All these years later, I realize it wasn’t all the Berettas fault. I had short, stubby fingers on a small, fat stubby ham hock for hands.

The Beretta 92FS has a manufactured 15 pound pull in double action. The reach and length of trigger pull for the front pad of my trigger finger was so far, the pad of my finger, barely reached the flat surface face of the trigger.

The resulting leverage and inertia needed for me to pull that first shot in double action, changed the trigger weight pull for me, from 15 pounds to around 25 pounds. My first shot in double action, you could see the front slide and barrel, literally shaking and vibrating as the barely tip of my short, stubby finger, attempted to bring that heavy trigger to the rear to disengage the sear.

Follow up shots in single action were great, but as I continued my shooting practice sessions, the more I shot double action the more fatigued my trigger finger became And my first shots always failed miserably in the accuracy department. Shots constantly jerked wide and missed their mark.

Remember, I was very young and very inexperienced, not just with the pistol but with shooting and pistol know how in general. I sold that Beretta and bought a new on the block at that time, a spacey aged, alien pistol, that all the famous gun magazine writers at the time was ranting about how awful it was and it was considered to be a blasphemy in firearms production.

It was the Glock 19. I never looked back. It’s been 38 years since my younger days then owning that Beretta.

In that time span, I have married, bred and raised children, spent a lifetime working with and shooting all manner, calibers and brands of pistol’s. Have spent a lifetime working in LE and have been shot at by people with guns and sadly have had to shoot at a few people with guns.

In saying all this, I can tell you, even though I was young and inexperienced with the DA function on that 92FS, I still to this day, wouldn’t prefer a DA/SA pistol. My oldest son has the HK USP Compact in .40 and he swears by it, so it is truly an individual ymmv kind of thing.

I have recently fell in love with the 1911 single action after 40 years carrying, using and training many, many young people to also carry and use Glocks. But I’m getting to be pretty good with a cocked and locked single action pistol. :)

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
You could line 10 people up and ask them what they think about any certain brand, style or type of pistol and you will get 10 completely different opinions.

It’s as personal and individual a choice or preference as is shaving with a brand of DE razor blades.

I am more of a striker fired guy when it comes to the style and preference of operating system I personally prefer in my combat pistols.

However, it just so happens the very first 9mm pistol I ever purchased with my own hard earned money, was a Beretta 92FS. Which is the civilian designation and name for your M9. :)

At the time the movies Die Hard and Lethal Weapon were all the rage, and both of those sexy guys Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson ran around handling their bad guy business with that beautiful sexy pistol.

I wanted to be just like them, but with a fro. :)

While I was pretty young and still didn’t know a whole lot about firearms, I will tell you of my experience with it’s double action/single action hammer and operating system.

Just remember, my review is only my own and there are and will be countless others forth coming that will be completely different, but no less true and accurate from their individual perspectives. And this entailes the good and the bad or the positive and or negative.

I loved the smooth slick action of the Beretta 92FS. I lived in a tough neighborhood at the time and many a night if I heard a bump in the night that needed investigation, I could pick up that pistol and rack a round into the chamber so slick, so smooth so easy and so quiet, I couldn’t even hear it myself. And I was the one holding and racking the pistol!
There is only one word that can describe that kind of smooth, quality action.

“Butter”. :). And did I mention how sexy looking it is? Oh yeah, I did.

It handled and pointed like a dream, a dream I tell ya. Balanced perfectly, pointed naturally, sleek, refined, ergonomic. Loved it’s safety / de cocker lever where you could totally disengage the firing pin rendering it totally safe with the flip of my thumb.

What’s not to love right?

Until I fired the damn thing for the first time.

My love affair was broken from the beginning first shot, only because of it’s double action first pull. All these years later, I realize it wasn’t all the Berettas fault. I had short, stubby fingers on a small, fat stubby ham hock for hands.

The Beretta 92FS has a manufactured 15 pound pull in double action. The reach and length of trigger pull for the front pad of my trigger finger was so far, the pad of my finger, barely reached the flat surface face of the trigger.

The resulting leverage and inertia needed for me to pull that first shot in double action, changed the trigger weight pull for me, from 15 pounds to around 25 pounds. My first shot in double action, you could see the front slide and barrel, literally shaking and vibrating as the barely tip of my short, stubby finger, attempted to bring that heavy trigger to the rear to disengage the sear.

Follow up shots in single action were great, but as I continued my shooting practice sessions, the more I shot double action the more fatigued my trigger finger became And my first shots always failed miserably in the accuracy department. Shots constantly jerked wide and missed their mark.

Remember, I was very young and very inexperienced, not just with the pistol but with shooting and pistol know how in general. I sold that Beretta and bought a new on the block at that time, a spacey aged, alien pistol, that all the famous gun magazine writers at the time was ranting about how awful it was and it was considered to be a blasphemy in firearms production.

It was the Glock 19. I never looked back. It’s been 38 years since my younger days then owning that Beretta.

In that time span, I have married, bred and raised children, spent a lifetime working with and shooting all manner, calibers and brands of pistol’s. Have spent a lifetime working in LE and have been shot at by people with guns and sadly have had to shoot at a few people with guns.

In saying all this, I can tell you, even though I was young and inexperienced with the DA function on that 92FS, I still to this day, wouldn’t prefer a DA/SA pistol. My oldest son has the HK USP Compact in .40 and he swears by it, so it is truly an individual ymmv kind of thing.

I have recently fell in love with the 1911 single action after 40 years carrying, using and training many, many young people to also carry and use Glocks. But I’m getting to be pretty good with a cocked and locked single action pistol. :)
Thanks for the info. No matter how many times I tell myself its called a 92FS whenever I see one I think M9. I'm really curious to know how this pistol feels in the hand. I've been told by a few people that I have "surgeon's hands," aka long thin fingers. I'm planning on going shooting tomorrow and I really hope the range has them available for rental.

I have the Brigadier version and installed the Langdon Tactical "Trigger Job in a Bag" as

j5m1v8g​

mentioned above. The trigger job takes the stock mediocre trigger to top notch. I'd say this trigger is better than my CZ Shadow 2. It brings the DA trigger pull down to 7 lbs, and the SA down to 3. The double action is buttery smooth, and the SA is crisp as can be. And the reset is super short. I also installed some Lok Grips. Definitely one of my favorites that I own.

It created a 30 pound pull for me, from a 15 pound trigger. Even if the trigger was upgraded with different springs, what would the pull have been? 8 pounds realistically? Because the long reach from blackstrap to trigger for me anyway, still would double that 8 pound upgraded trigger to a still perceived 16 pounds for me and my stubby short finger with extended knuckle.

I’m sure it’s why I prefer striker fired or single action pistols for self defense.
The first shot is that important for me, to makes sure I am carrying something that totally works for me.

:)
For personal defense, unless I am out in woods hunting, I have always used pistols with double action, at least on the first round. My very first one was a Colt Detective followed by a Beratta 84. Even nowadays that my EDC is a striker fired pistol, it's a Beretta APX Carry, that practically speaking is like a double action.
I used to carry a Glock for a wile, a Beretta APX Centurion, a Kimber, all single action but eventually went back to DA/SA.

Regarding the 92, keep in mind that you can mount a Wilson Combat short reach trigger. Ultra thin grips help as well.
As far as the pull weight, the 92 is one of the easiest to fine tune. This evening I have just finished preparing an M9 for my son.

IMG_9858.jpeg

Double action:

IMG_9853.jpeg

Single action:

IMG_9854.jpeg

OkieStubble

For personal defense, unless I am out in woods hunting, I have always used pistols with double action, at least on the first round. My very first one was a Colt Detective followed by a Beratta 84. Even nowadays that my EDC is a striker fired pistol, it's a Beretta APX Carry, that practically speaking is like a double action.
I used to carry a Glock for a wile, a Beretta APX Centurion, a Kimber, all single action but eventually went back to DA/SA.

Regarding the 92, keep in mind that you can mount a Wilson Combat short reach trigger. Ultra thin grips help as well.
As far as the pull weight, the 92 is one of the easiest to fine tune. This evening I have just finished preparing an M9 for my son.

View attachment 1785938

Double action:

View attachment 1785939

Single action:

View attachment 1785940

Very handsome Beretta and 6 and a half pound DA pull is not bad at all! :)

Top Bottom