What's new

Am I Out of My Mind? Seriously, Am I?

I think I might be going a little crazy. I'm wondering about it. And a little worried about myself.

I thought I'd switch to old-fashioned DE razor blades to see if I can save a little money, having only slim hopes that I could adjust to it. But then I got very interested in all the reviews and videos and so forth. A recent post here talked about "immersion mode"—yup, that. I agonized over the Rockwell 6C vs. the 2C for several days. To save money, I ordered a Rockwell 2C. I saw several posts in various places saying the 2C worked well with Nacets, so I bought a little 5-pack (what's the word for that?) of those.

My Rockwell arrived. I totally love it. First of all, I could readily tell the difference between the 1 side and the 3 side, which I didn't think I was going to be able to. The 3 plate (it comes with only one plate, the 1+3) is perfect. And I could actually tell the difference between the Rockwell blades and the Nacets, which also surprised me. The Nacets are just fine. Nothing to complain about.

So I got all enthused, because the shave is just great and my face actually feels BETTER after shaving than before! That's a first. I actually found myself looking forward to shaving, which I honestly think is the very first time in my life I have ever said such a preposterous thing.

So I have NO COMPLAINTS, you're getting that part? Love the razor, everything works well, totally satisfied.

So here's the crazy part. I have now bought five razors.

FIVE.

What the...?!? Who need FIVE razors?!?

I'm now the proud owner of the Rockwell 2C, a Rex Envoy ($135 new, with free shipping—Kent of Inglewood), a RazoRock Game Changer .84, a RazoRock Hawk v3, and a vintage Gillette Tech with the replica handle from Razor Emporium.

I'd show you a picture of them, except NONE OF THEM BUT THE ROCKWELL ARE HERE YET. And, I bought the Rex Envoy before the Rockwell 2C had even arrived on my front porch.

That's right—I bought four razors before the one before had even gotten here.

I'm losing my nut, friends. Off my gourd. Round the bend! Cobwebs in the attic. Lost all sense.

Worse, I'm actually thinking about keeping all five. Eight days ago I could hardly imagine needing more than one razor. Heck, I've been using my Mach 3 handle since Bill Clinton was President (and does it ever look like it). But for some reason it just seems like...I don't know...an interesting to get to know all five of them. For some unknown reason.

Probably because I have gone Looney Toons for good. Crazy as a shot-at rat.

Does anyone else in history or on the globe own as many as FIVE razors?!? Tell me I'm not crazy....

Kind regards,
MtB

Look what arrived as I was writing this:

Attachments

• my envoy.jpg
    my envoy.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 32
It's the start of a "new" era......if you have the money to spend......keep at it.....the sky is the limit....... otherwise.....quit getting stuff.
It's a contagious disease........I am waiting for UPS tomorrow....I have no regrets.

Welcome, Mike. You’re in good company here. I have 30 razors and 12 brushes. Yeah, madness, isn’t it? I know there are others out here who have many more that. I use them all and like them all. I have an Envoy and am a big fan of it. Am also a Tech owner-lover. Enjoy yourself! BTW, the packets of blades are called tucks. There’s lots to learn on the forums here. Have fun!
PS I’m not crazy, nor are you. I prefer the term enthusiast!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to the forum. If you wanted to find shavers with waaaaaaaaaaay more than 5 razors you've come to the right spot.

But do stop shopping for a little while, get comfortable with your new razors and ask some specific questions based on your experiences over the next few weeks - or preferably months. Get 100 razors if you want, but not all this week.

Welcome to B&B look there are so many Razors on the Market you have 5 which you can rotate just like I have 10 Shave soaps and 6 brushes and 3 Razors which I rotate so say that your crazy nope your perfectly fine for wet shave !

Does anyone else in history or on the globe own as many as FIVE razors?!? Tell me I'm not crazy....

On the contrary, by B&B standards you are quite crazy. You only own 5 razors!

Seriously though, although many of us own more than that, most of us took years to build up those collections. Take your time, enjoy what you have. You have a future full of great shaves stretching out in front of you!

Welcome to the forum. If you wanted to find shavers with waaaaaaaaaaay more than 5 razors you've come to the right spot.

But do stop shopping for a little while, get comfortable with your new razors and ask some specific questions based on your experiences over the next few weeks - or preferably months. Get 100 razors if you want, but not all this week.
Good advice, I will take it. ☺️

If you think that the bunch of us here are going to tell you that owning 5 razors is crazy, then you are at the wrong place. LOL

My only word of advice, do take your time getting to know one good razor loaded with one good brand of blade as part of your learning experience. The desire to try all these new razors and potentially in combination with all sorts of blades will, unfortunately, keep adding variables to your shave (as opposed to digging into the nuances of mastering you technique using one set-up at a time).

Like most people on this forum, I enjoy having different razors for different occasions and do enjoy using different blades to match my moods and to pair with the needs of different razors. 100%. That said, my best advice to someone who is relatively new to wet shaving would be to really try to dial-in one's technique using a single setup until one feels they have achieved a degree of mastery prior to changing things up.

Don't look for "the magic blade" or the "magic razor," but instead build the skills that would allow you to get good results from almost any blade/razor combination. As you build your technique, there are many razors/blades that you can use to scaffold your skills--and razor-wise you now have some great ones to try out in time--as shaving with a very "different" style of razor can certainly add to one's skill set. Just be prudent about adding so many variables that your options don't overwhelm your progress initially.

Congratulations on the gear you've chosen to add. You have made some very nice choices and I hope you enjoy them all.

Bill

No, you’re not crazy. But speaking from experience, I would recommend spending some lengthy time with each razor. It can take some time to dial in what make me each razor unique and most effective. For myself, I went a bit crazy with soaps and splashes. I discovered the world of artisans and went a bit nuts. If you do that, again, same recommendation. Spend some time dialing in each soap base. Welcome to ‘out-of-our-minds town’ brother.

Welcome to the club. Big Nurse will be by shortly to check your meds. You’ll fit in just fine.

I have a Rockwell 6C and a Rex Envoy along with a Yates ‘Merica, a 1948 Gillette Super Speed, a 1967 Gillette TTO adjustable slim and a Leaf Twig. I find my go to razor for new blades is the Rex. I hardly use my Rockwell. It’s a fine razor but I prefer my Rex. I also just acquired a Fatip Grande.

There’s a world of soaps and brushes out there as well. You can spend a ton of money or just keep it simple. I don’t think I’ll try many other razors. Welcome to the club. You’re in like company.

Top Bottom