What's new

Am I Out of My Mind? Seriously, Am I?

I think I might be going a little crazy. I'm wondering about it. And a little worried about myself.

I thought I'd switch to old-fashioned DE razor blades to see if I can save a little money, having only slim hopes that I could adjust to it. But then I got very interested in all the reviews and videos and so forth. A recent post here talked about "immersion mode"—yup, that. I agonized over the Rockwell 6C vs. the 2C for several days. To save money, I ordered a Rockwell 2C. I saw several posts in various places saying the 2C worked well with Nacets, so I bought a little 5-pack (what's the word for that?) of those.

My Rockwell arrived. I totally love it. First of all, I could readily tell the difference between the 1 side and the 3 side, which I didn't think I was going to be able to. The 3 plate (it comes with only one plate, the 1+3) is perfect. And I could actually tell the difference between the Rockwell blades and the Nacets, which also surprised me. The Nacets are just fine. Nothing to complain about.

So I got all enthused, because the shave is just great and my face actually feels BETTER after shaving than before! That's a first. I actually found myself looking forward to shaving, which I honestly think is the very first time in my life I have ever said such a preposterous thing.

So I have NO COMPLAINTS, you're getting that part? Love the razor, everything works well, totally satisfied.

So here's the crazy part. I have now bought five razors.

FIVE.

What the...?!? Who need FIVE razors?!?

Piffle. Amateur! Five razors???
Hey, pal, I started here with one razor and now have twelve. TWELVE. Now, I'm no math whiz, but I think 12 is more than five, right??!!
Huh? Amiright??

1) Van Der Hagen TTO
2) Edwin Jagger DE89
3) Rockwell 6C
4) Razorock Game Changer 68-P
5) Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji
6) 1940's Gillette Super Speed
7) 1952 Gillette Super Speed
8) 1953 Gillette Super Speed
9) 1955 Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip
10) 1957 Gillette Super Speed Regular Flare Tip
11) 1960 Gillette Super Speed Regular Flare Tip
12) Leaf Twig (just got it today)

So you got a lot of catching up to do, buddy boy!
Get crackin'! There are razors galore out there with your name on them. Call your financial advisor and insist he somehow, some way get more money into your account(s)! There are razors to buy! Blades! Soaps! Brushes! Creams! What do people expect you to shave with ... a sharpened stone???
If I can do it, you can too. I'm thinking you're worth at least 50 razors, maybe more.
Trust me.
You'll thank me later.

;)

If you think that the bunch of us here are going to tell you that owning 5 razors is crazy, then you are at the wrong place. LOL

My only word of advice, do take your time getting to know one good razor loaded with one good brand of blade as part of your learning experience. The desire to try all these new razors and potentially in combination with all sorts of blades will, unfortunately, keep adding variables to your shave (as opposed to digging into the nuances of mastering you technique using one set-up at a time).

Like most people on this forum, I enjoy having different razors for different occasions and do enjoy using different blades to match my moods and to pair with the needs of different razors. 100%. That said, my best advice to someone who is relatively new to wet shaving would be to really try to dial-in one's technique using a single setup until one feels they have achieved a degree of mastery prior to changing things up.

Don't look for "the magic blade" or the "magic razor," but instead build the skills that would allow you to get good results from almost any blade/razor combination. As you build your technique, there are many razors/blades that you can use to scaffold your skills--and razor-wise you now have some great ones to try out in time--as shaving with a very "different" style of razor can certainly add to one's skill set. Just be prudent about adding so many variables that your options don't overwhelm your progress initially.

Congratulations on the gear you've chosen to add. You have made some very nice choices and I hope you enjoy them all.

Bill
Thanks Bill (and others). I think I should take that advice. Things didn't go well with the Envoy, which I had to try tonight...I had some problems with the new shaving cream (it came out of the wrong end of the tube--there was a hole in the tube--and the cream was sticky, such that it was difficult to rinse out of the blade, and it even stuck to the blade--I had to remove it with my fingers under running water after the shave was over). I picked a blade at random and got cut up a bit. Moreover the Envoy seemed dangerous and my face didn't feel good afterward. I immediately ordered some face balm!

I should probably be disciplined and stick with the Rockwell / 3 plate / Nacet for a good month at least, until I start to get comfortable with it. I don't consider that I've given the Envoy a fair shot, so I'll keep it to try again when I improve my skills a bit. (I'm a pool player so I know about the value of persistence in improving skills). I can use the time to experiment with foams (soaps?). I don't own a brush yet.

Appreciate the welcomes, too. New world for me, completely. This came about because I am trying to learn to enjoy the things I have to do anyway—shaving has always been a miserable thing for me, all my life, so I thought I'd try to get a handle on it (no pun intended). Better late than never.

MtB

Thanks Bill (and others). I think I should take that advice. Things didn't go well with the Envoy, which I had to try tonight...I had some problems with the new shaving cream (it came out of the wrong end of the tube--there was a hole in the tube--and the cream was sticky, such that it was difficult to rinse out of the blade, and it even stuck to the blade--I had to remove it with my fingers under running water after the shave was over). I picked a blade at random and got cut up a bit. Moreover the Envoy seemed dangerous and my face didn't feel good afterward. I immediately ordered some face balm!

I should probably be disciplined and stick with the Rockwell / 3 plate / Nacet for a good month at least, until I start to get comfortable with it. I don't consider that I've given the Envoy a fair shot, so I'll keep it to try again when I improve my skills a bit. (I'm a pool player so I know about the value of persistence in improving skills). I can use the time to experiment with foams (soaps?). I don't own a brush yet.

Appreciate the welcomes, too. New world for me, completely. This came about because I am trying to learn to enjoy the things I have to do anyway—shaving has always been a miserable thing for me, all my life, so I thought I'd try to get a handle on it (no pun intended). Better late than never.

MtB

The wet shaving journey should be a lot of fun. Experimenting is part of the experience. But...yeah, mixing new soaps/creams with unfamiliar blades and unfamiliar razors when you are just starting out can lead to mixed results.

Your appreciation of blades and razors may evolve considerably as your techniques improve, especially true when talking about so called "agressive" combinations. But not to worry, you have the rest of your life to enjoy the skills you build up now.

If it were I to suggest a path, I would not jump from one cream/soap to another in the short term, just as I would not mix up the blades and razors. Rather, I'd stick with "educated guesses" on all these items and stick with them until you conclude that you have nothing particular to learn from the set up (which is not to suggest that "learning" will cease, as that will be ongoing).

As a pool player, I doubt you'd suggest to a newbie to get a bunch of sticks when starting out--and to keep changing them up--without taking the time to dial one in.

Learn your face. See what slightly different shaving angles do to your shave and how different areas of your face may do better with different angles and approaches. Also see how the grain of you beard grows. This will help you plan how to attack the growth, or--if you have sensitive areas--how to avoid/minimize irritation and nicks.

I recently (after being a long-time wet-shaver) acquired my first slant razor, just in time for Slantember. Even feeling like a "veteran," I learned some new things as a result. It keeps things fun, but one doesn't want to cut one's face off either. LOL.

In time you may come to love the Envoy. Who knows?

The Gillette Tech ought to be a good option for the "next" razor to try (once the Rockwell has been fully explored).

As to brushes, I'm strongly in the camp that Italian Master Barbers have it right when utilize boar bristle as their brushes of choice. One can get an excellent boar brush for about $10 (or so) and "premium" brushes (or should we mostly say "handles"?) are rarely more than $40. Boar does require some breaking in; however, they continue to get better and better and the bristle tips split.

I am also a huge fan of Cella. As with Italian boar brushes (which unsurprisingly pairs beautifully with Italian-made Cella for making lather) there is phenomenal value with Cella. Inexpensive luxury.

I'm sure you have a lot of fun with this. And, heck yeah, why not make something that you "have to do" anyway into a very pleasurable experience? With you on that.

Bill

...Or high-end stereo, or racing bicycles, or planes, or boats...I know one guy who has had close to 70 cars in his life. I'm on my 7th, and I'm 66!

I'm feeling buyer's remorse right now. I really did get into this because I was sick of paying the "cartridge tax." On the other hand, the Envoy did give me the closest shave I've ever had in my entire life. I kinda always wondered what "close shave" meant....

MtB

As a pool player, I doubt you'd suggest to a newbie to get a bunch of sticks when starting out--and to keep changing them up--without taking the time to dial one in.
Very true, but on the other hand, it's important to start with a cue that's straight and has a newish tip that's been shaped properly, and chalk. As with a lot of things, you can be minimalist with equipment, but poor quality equipment that works against you isn't going to help.

But this isn't a cue sports forum, and I have a hair trigger on that topic!

MtB

I think I might be going a little crazy. I'm wondering about it. And a little worried about myself.

I thought I'd switch to old-fashioned DE razor blades to see if I can save a little money, having only slim hopes that I could adjust to it. But then I got very interested in all the reviews and videos and so forth. A recent post here talked about "immersion mode"—yup, that. I agonized over the Rockwell 6C vs. the 2C for several days. To save money, I ordered a Rockwell 2C. I saw several posts in various places saying the 2C worked well with Nacets, so I bought a little 5-pack (what's the word for that?) of those.

My Rockwell arrived. I totally love it. First of all, I could readily tell the difference between the 1 side and the 3 side, which I didn't think I was going to be able to. The 3 plate (it comes with only one plate, the 1+3) is perfect. And I could actually tell the difference between the Rockwell blades and the Nacets, which also surprised me. The Nacets are just fine. Nothing to complain about.

So I got all enthused, because the shave is just great and my face actually feels BETTER after shaving than before! That's a first. I actually found myself looking forward to shaving, which I honestly think is the very first time in my life I have ever said such a preposterous thing.

So I have NO COMPLAINTS, you're getting that part? Love the razor, everything works well, totally satisfied.

So here's the crazy part. I have now bought five razors.

FIVE.

What the...?!? Who need FIVE razors?!?

I'm now the proud owner of the Rockwell 2C, a Rex Envoy ($135 new, with free shipping—Kent of Inglewood), a RazoRock Game Changer .84, a RazoRock Hawk v3, and a vintage Gillette Tech with the replica handle from Razor Emporium.

I'd show you a picture of them, except NONE OF THEM BUT THE ROCKWELL ARE HERE YET. And, I bought the Rex Envoy before the Rockwell 2C had even arrived on my front porch.

That's right—I bought four razors before the one before had even gotten here.

I'm losing my nut, friends. Off my gourd. Round the bend! Cobwebs in the attic. Lost all sense.

Worse, I'm actually thinking about keeping all five. Eight days ago I could hardly imagine needing more than one razor. Heck, I've been using my Mach 3 handle since Bill Clinton was President (and does it ever look like it). But for some reason it just seems like...I don't know...an interesting to get to know all five of them. For some unknown reason.

Probably because I have gone Looney Toons for good. Crazy as a shot-at rat.

Does anyone else in history or on the globe own as many as FIVE razors?!? Tell me I'm not crazy....

Kind regards,
MtB

Look what arrived as I was writing this:

There is difference between WANTS, and NEEDS.

My buddy who is well off drive Hybred RAV4, it is functional.

Another friend is Car guy, he has Porsche, Rolls Royce, Raptor by Ford, and about 6 other cars.

I can not tell you you need 12 Razors to be happy, just what you need, or want.

but poor quality equipment that works against you isn't going to help.

And on that note, before you dial back your spending you really should consider getting a brush and a cream / soap that is designed for traditional wet shaving. I understand the quality of some of the over-the-counter foams and gels in the USA is better than what we typically get here, but I think you will still notice the difference.

As previously suggested, a good boar brush doesn't have to be expensive (although look up how to use / break them in). There are also perfectly decent, cheap synthetic brushes available from the likes of Razorock, Stirling, Yaqi, etc. You can spend a good bit on "artisan" soaps that have become popular in the past few years, but if you look at what's popular here you will also find plenty of good value, strong performing options.

Then, as suggested, stick with the same gear for a while why you learn the intricacies of making lather and using a razor.

As some members have stated.
I would suggest sticking with one razor in your current collection that works best for you. Skills - Experience first...
Over all Shaving Process / post shave recovery , Face Mapping & Density, Focus, Skills, Technique, No bad habits, Patience, Goal, Set Limits -Guidelines (ie 3 passes), Consistency, & Enjoyment.
Then once you are there....sure go for more tools later...

But choice you our smart path and good luck...
BFX

You're not the only one with a host of razors, so don't think you're crazy. I just got back into shaving with a DE safety razor after using cartridge razors for the last five years or so. I still had four or five DE razors from when I used to shave with them, but I started buying more. In addition to my original herd of DE safety razors, I now have about 4 vintage Gillettes (two from my birth year) and 4 newer DE razors from various companies. I also have many different shave soaps, blades, balms, and after shaves, etc. I went down the rabbit hole and and am enjoying the trip.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I thought I'd switch to old-fashioned DE razor blades to see if I can save a little money

First I read the title. Intrigued I clicked on it and began to read. Then I read the above quote. Immediately, before even reading a second word after, I knew this was about spending more money and saving little.

Enjoy the ride. You’re in good crazy company.

MtB
Sorry for the bad experiences with the Envoy. It is a great razor. I’d get some soap and a brush. A Simpson Trafalgar synthetic is very reasonable, Sterling soap is a great choice and also priced very reasonably. I’ve had luck Shave Nation and Razor Emporium. Some here don’t like Razor Emporium from past grievances. I’ve have no issue with them. I feel the Envoy will be one of your best razors. The number three plate on the Rockwell is a tad less aggressive than the Rex. I have both and I feel the Rex shaves more smoothly than the Rockwell. Everyone is different but I have a few more months of experience than you do. Stick to it. It’s going to work out in the end.

Welcome to B&B! The best looking bunch on the internet!

You certainly jumped into it before you even jumped in. Like many have said before. Slow down a bit. You have the razor you need at the moment. The Rockwell with plate 3 seems to have treated you right the first time you tried it. Stick with it for a while.

You said you got a tuck of Nacets. Great blade to start with. I would probably get some more Nacets to keep you for a bit longer. You will save the most in the long run if you buy a 100-pack, but maybe you do not want to commit to that yet. Up to you. You can also pick up a sample pack of blades for very little money that will give you a number of tucks of different blades that you can try. Sticking with one blade however does have the benefits of cutting down on the variables in the beginning.

You would want to start using some shaving cream/soap and a brush. It will help you greatly through this journey. Safe bets are Proraso Red/Green shave soap or any of the Proraso shave creams. The creams will be easier to lather, but the soaps are not difficult either. There are many many alternatives here. The Proraso or Cella like mentioned above are good solid lines of products and quite affordable.

As for a brush I personally recommend to get a synthetic brush. Very easy to lather with and very low maintenance. Any of the synthetic brushes from ItalianBarber or Maggard or similar will work very well. You should not have to spend more than max $15 dollars on a brush.

Once you figure out what you like and don't just make adjustments to what you are doing. Many good guides etc etc here on B&B. Ask questions and we are very willing to help out a fellow wet shaver.
-Boris

Last edited:
And on that note, before you dial back your spending you really should consider getting a brush and a cream / soap that is designed for traditional wet shaving.
Thanks. I ordered a brush and a bowl last night--let's see, you will want to know--see the pic. Plus some soap called Arko that I saw a few reviews of. My tube of Pacific Shaving Co. Natural that arrived yesterday was defective—the tube was slit at the bottom—but today I got a call from the owner of the company, Stan Ades, and had a pleasant conversation with him. He suspected a box cutter might have sliced the bottom of the tube as a box was being opened somewhere along the line, and that seems likely. He's sending a replacement.

By the way, what is "buffing"? I've encountered that term but don't know what it means.

MtB

Attachments

• brush and bowl.jpg
    brush and bowl.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Stick to it. It’s going to work out in the end.
Thank you cajunrph! I will try. I like to try new things—recently I taught myself to type 20 wpm with the Dvorak keyboard on a Kinesis Advantage 2, no less. That was an adventure--it took me months. I might not keep this up forever, but I like my chances of sticking with it until I manage to demystify it to my satisfaction. The chance to enjoy shaving, at long last, would be sufficient reward.

I had a pretty strong dislike reaction to the Envoy, but I recognize it's probably down to a whole lot of operator error and inexperience. I won't pick it up again soon, but I'll keep it to try later once I'm more comfortable with all this.

MtB

Top Bottom