What's new

Balin's Brushes, Blades and Assorted Baloney!

SOTD:
Lush Kalamazoo face and beard wash
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
WR1 .67 OC
GSB 4 šŸŒŸ
Shavemac D01 22/46
1000005326.jpg

Ratings 4/5 Comfortable DFS

A nice comfy shave! I am not looking forward to the Shark Chrome tomorrow. I may have handed out tucks, to @Guido75 , @lasta and @cranewarrior with less than altruistic intentions šŸ¤£. Its not a favourite of mine šŸ¤«.

Since we are talking about weight loss lately, I thought I would add my experiences. I lost 100lbs from Feb 2021 to September 2021. Unfortunately 50+ have come back in the last 2 and half years, so I am now back to tracking calories and making sure I get my daily walks in. The dogs are enjoying it, but the tracking calories is taking a bit to become a habit again. This has to be the last time I have to drop this kind of weight again. I need to weigh myself daily going forward and not look at the scale as the enemy šŸ¤£. The plan this time is to stick to whole foods and limit take out and portion size!!

Cheers.
Ā 
Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
WR1 .67 OC
GSB 4 šŸŒŸ
Shavemac D01 22/46
View attachment 1817719
Ratings 4/5 Comfortable DFS

A nice comfy shave! I am not looking forward to the Shark Chrome tomorrow. I may have handed out tucks, to @Guido75 , @lasta and @cranewarrior with less than altruistic intentions šŸ¤£. Its not a favourite of mine šŸ¤«.

Since we are talking about weight loss lately, I thought I would add my experiences. I lost 100lbs from Feb 2021 to September 2021. Unfortunately 50+ have come back in the last 2 and half years, so I am now back to tracking calories and making sure I get my daily walks in. The dogs are enjoying it, but the tracking calories is taking a bit to become a habit again. This has to be the last time I have to drop this kind of weight again. I need to weigh myself daily going forward and not look at the scale as the enemy šŸ¤£. The plan this time is to stick to whole foods and limit take out and portion size!!

Cheers.
I understand your "pain"... I can gain weight at the drop of a hat... I lost 80 pounds since mid January of 2022. I started wet shaving that year in February... parallel paths, if you will. I'm up 4 pounds from my lowest weight but I never did stabilize at that weight.... I still don't know where I should be for a final weight. I want to be a thin old man... I think an additional 13 pounds will get me there and I'm determined to lose those final pounds over the next few months.

I don't consider what I'm doing to be a "diet" but more of a life change... I know which foods are good for me, which work the best to reduce my joint and back pain. If I still with those, I feel so much better. The weight loss comes along as a side benefit.

I'm with you... I think, at 70, I have another large weight loss program in me. I feel so uncomfortable at a heavier weight. I have after a shower, usually in the buff.... I enjoyed looking in the mirror over this past couple years now... and seeing myself getting slimmer. The scale is my friend. It helps keep my honest...
Ā 
Congrats to both @Balin and @Phoenixkh. You guys are doing things that are not easy, but then what fun would they be if they didn't challenge you? I've been watching what I eat and how much for quite a while. Sometimes I fall off and gain some weight but I always get back after it. I just have to remember that it gets harder as you get older. Kim, you and I are the same age and I know what you feel like in the morning etc. I work out and just go about my day. Staying active out here in the middle of nowhere can be a bit difficult as I am a lot happier in warm weather as opposed to winter. Anyway good for both of ya.
Cheers!

cheers-fireworks.gif
Ā 
Congrats to both @Balin and @Phoenixkh. You guys are doing things that are not easy, but then what fun would they be if they didn't challenge you? I've been watching what I eat and how much for quite a while. Sometimes I fall off and gain some weight but I always get back after it. I just have to remember that it gets harder as you get older. Kim, you and I are the same age and I know what you feel like in the morning etc. I work out and just go about my day. Staying active out here in the middle of nowhere can be a bit difficult as I am a lot happier in warm weather as opposed to winter. Anyway good for both of ya.
Cheers!

View attachment 1817761
Thanks man! I appreciate it!
Ā 
I need to loose weight too. Or fat to be more exact. Ever since coming back from a holiday in February my belly fat seems to have ganged up on me together with my love handles. And karate training isnā€™t cutting it in the weight loss division. But itā€™s probably much more an age thing. Before karate I did other martial arts and those training seemed more intense.

I think I want to loose at least 11lbs to get back to my usual weight of 165lbs. I donā€™t like going to the gym so I looked around on the net and I want to experiment with Navy Seal burpees and see if those have an effect.

Havenā€™t found the discipline yet to do it diligently, but I already felt that there might just be what I need for me.
Ā 

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I need to loose weight too. Or fat to be more exact. Ever since coming back from a holiday in February my belly fat seems to have ganged up on me together with my love handles. And karate training isnā€™t cutting it in the weight loss division. But itā€™s probably much more an age thing. Before karate I did other martial arts and those training seemed more intense.

I think I want to loose at least 11lbs to get back to my usual weight of 165lbs. I donā€™t like going to the gym so I looked around on the net and I want to experiment with Navy Seal burpees and see if those have an effect.

Havenā€™t found the discipline yet to do it diligently, but I already felt that there might just be what I need for me.
I was raised on US comfort food... loaded with bad carbs. I still love that stuff, but in my early 40s, I started gaining weight if I ate it... For me, carbs are more addicting than any shaving rabbit hole. Abstinence is the only way I can avoid the pitfall.
Ā 
SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
WR1 .74 OC
Shark Chrome 1 šŸ¦ˆ
OG Shavemac D01 22/46
1000005336.jpg

Rating 4/5 Comfortable DFS

I decided to use my original Shavemac D01 22/46 today after using my new on yesterday. I may be a bit nuts but this brush felt a bit denser and had a bit more backbone than the new one. All of the measurements are the same. I am going to have to do a 2 brush shave to put it to rest šŸ¤£.

I usually test blades in WR1 .67 but I thought the Shark might need a bigger blade gap to get the results I was looking for. The shark was not as uncomfortable as I remembered. We will see how it performs tomorrow.

Cheers!
Ā 
SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
WR1 .74 OC
Shark Chrome 2 šŸ¦ˆ
Classic 2 Super
1000005350.jpg

Rating 5/5 Comfortable BBS

I was really surprised by today's shave. BBS result with minimal Alum or Aftershave feedback. The Shark performed well. I went back through last years log and I had used this blade with my WR2 1.15 and my notes said it was tuggy with high alum feedback. With this razor it wasn't tuggy, but it still wasn't as smooth as other blades, and it provided almost no alum feed back. I may try a fresh one in the WR2 1.15 on Friday.

With all the new Shavemacs I have acquired lately I have not used my Classic 2 in a while. I really like these small to medium sized knots in the 22-24mm range. They just hold the perfect amount of water after a light shake for an amazing lather. My Classic 2 and Chubby 1 Supers have the same stats but I think the Classic 2 is just a smidge softer but equally as dense. It could be from more use or as Simpsons often get dinged for a batch variance. I did notice a bit of a difference between my 2 Shavemac D01 22s so I am leaning more towards longer use.

Its a long weekend so I should have time for a couple of 2 brush shaves so I do not have to rely on 24 hour old memory.

I am still patiently awating the arrival of my WR3, Alpha Shaveworks Carbon handle and 2 Murphy and MacNeill soaps. I signed up for GRUME next month to keep @Guido75 honest šŸ¤£.

Cheers!
Ā 
SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Tabac
Tabac Splash
WR1 .74 OC
Shark Chrome 3 šŸ¦ˆ
Chubby 2 Super
1000005359.jpg

Rating 4/5 Comfortable DFS

Yesterday must have been a fluke with this blade, because today everything felt the same except there were a few rough spots at the end of the shave. I probably could have done a touch up pass but I was pressed for time as I had to run to the vets.

My poor dog, Betty, managed to slice off a part of her right hind toe pad last Thursday so today was bandage change day. The vet wants to do some laser therapy to promote healing because it cannot be sutured together. She is a bit of knuckle head šŸ¤£. We had a new vet today and she was surprised that Betty wasn't even limping. This fru fru poodle is tougher than she looks šŸ¤£.

Is nice to have a long weekend for Good Friday tomorrow.

Cheers!
Ā 
Auto corrupt decided I donā€™t use words such as ā€œpupper.ā€ grumble, grumbleā€¦
Its true!! Its taken my predictive word suggestions 3 years to accept pupper or puppers without auto corrupting!! šŸ˜†
I hope Betty heals up quickly, Andrew. Give her a pat for me.
Thanks Eric! Its been a week since she injured herself so its not bugging her much but because its her toe and her activity level and bandage, it has not scabbed over yet. She is a trooper!
Ā 
Top Bottom