What's new

Balin's Brushes, Blades and Assorted Baloney!

I have been thinking about keeping a journal for a while, but have not got around to it mainly because I have been using the GRUME threads to document my daily shaves. I am not in GRUME this month due to a Brush Acquisition Disorder that I am having trouble shaking, lol.

Today's Shave:

New RFB Thin Handle
Simpsons Classic 2 Best
Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Tabac Soap and Splash
Proraso Blue Preshave
IMG_20231002_154430.jpg

It was a nice comfy shave with no nicks or weepers!

I recently picked up a Shavemac Finest 22/44 which I am really enjoying. I do have a 24/48 on order, which should arrive at the end of the month 😁.

This week I'm focusing on these 3 brushes to see how the compare to each other. Lol, I would like to think I'll be objective but I can't guarantee!

IMG_20231002_161340.jpg

Today was Duke 3 Best vs Shavemac Finest!
IMG_20231003_164138.jpg

Summary: They are very similar in face feel with the Shavemac being softer.

The Shavemac is a 22/44 that actually measures 22.5/44.
The Duke 3 is a 23/46 that actually measures 25/47.

I would put the density of the 2 brushes at par, which sort of surprised me.
Backbone, lather creation, heat retention are all pretty equal.

I think a better comparison will be between the Duke 3 and my newly ordered Shavemac 24/48.

I do think the Shavemac Finest is a better value though due to its lower price point.

Tomorrow is Classic 2 vs Shavemac finest!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Balin /Andrew, I'm also glad you started a journal. I've been neglecting mine a bit lately but I'm trying to remedy that.

I agree.... the Journals and Diaries have been very helpful to me along the journey.

Brushes: I really only need one because I shave every other day when I'm on top of my game... or every few days if I let things slip. Any brush I use will be dry before its next use. I thinned out the herd a while back but still rotate 4 brushes for my main shave and rotate two others for applying pre-shaves. I have 4 boars that only get used for DecemBOAR month, truth be told. None of them are totally broken-in yet but all of them still work well.

Why do we buy so many, as @Mr. Shavington asked? I have no idea. Unfortunately or perhaps that is an exaggeration, why do I have so multiple items in all the major shaving categories? At this point... it's because I enjoy them. I hate to admit it, but I enjoy the buying process itself... the research, placing the order, tracking the shipment, etc. Then there is the enjoyment I get from using them. Every brush, razor, blade, soap, etc. is a little bit different.

Using what I want on a whim still works for me. I don't have a strict rotation for anything except the brushes. When I contemplate my next shave, I think.... hmmmm, I haven't used X for a while. I think I'll use that today. Or.... since I bought so many razors within just a few months and still have a few I haven't used, I think... Ok, Kim.. Time to learn how to use that one.

That's a good question!

Brushes are my favourite part of the shave! The brush not only feels great on the face but they also deliver the scent of the soap. I also really like the natural fibers, especially badger even though it going out of vogue.
I agree. I bet you’re a brush sniffer (like me) too, when they still retain the scent of the soap after they’ve dried.

I think another part of the attraction for me is the way they look. Not only the nice handles but even more the knots. A badger knot in my mind resembles those bizarre dragon blood trees they have in Yemen, but anyway I love the look of a bloomed badger knot.

660B7F49-C995-434A-B762-7F2742DB8B51.jpeg

Perhaps it’s also that brushes seem more reasonable to buy because they are cheaper than razors. But they’re more organic, more tactile, more luxurious, and less cold and inanimate than a metal razor.

And the variety is important. Different feels but also different looks. Two-band hair looks good even though it is not my favourite for shaving with. And those German style round bulbs with the way the white tips stack on to of each other to create a white ball. Or a really bloomed fan that has a high loft and looks enormous and soft. i can happily look at shaving brushes all day long.

So I’m looking forward to following this journal and getting to vicariously enjoy your brushes.

CE0DF9B6-6DFC-4D8E-9297-C67E5C98DC65.jpeg

8A0BF19E-8D6C-4EBF-A95C-EE11B4EAEA21.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree. I bet you’re a brush sniffer (like me) too, when they still retain the scent of the soap after they’ve dried.

I think another part of the attraction for me is the way they look. Not only the nice handles but even more the knots. A badger knot in my mind resembles those bizarre dragon blood trees they have in Yemen, but anyway I love the look of a bloomed badger knot.

View attachment 1727622

Perhaps it’s also that brushes seem more reasonable to buy because they are cheaper than razors. But they’re more organic, more tactile, more luxurious, and less cold and inanimate than a metal razor.

And the variety is important. Different feels but also different looks. Two-band hair looks good even though it is not my favourite for shaving with. And those German style round bulbs with the way the white tips stack on to of each other to create a white ball. Or a really bloomed fan that has a high loft and looks enormous and soft. i can happily look at shaving brushes all day long.

So I’m looking forward to following this journal and getting to vicariously enjoy your brushes.

View attachment 1727624

View attachment 1727625
I can't believe you outed me as a 'brush sniffer', lol how did you know :lol:! That's how I pick my brushes for a shave! If there is no scent its time to use it. Ok, well, not every time, but it has happened once or twice :lol:!

I agree with you that the brush is luxurious part of the shave. Its difficult to describe the visceral enjoyment I derive from brushes. Its the time where I am truly in the moment just thinking of the simple act of creating lather and enjoying the process!

@Phoenixkh /Kim, I currently have 29 Brushes. They consist of 1 Synth, 1 Horse, 1 Mistura, 5 Boar and 21 Badgers ( with 3 more badgers on the way, lol ). I don't count my starter brushes, a Wilkinson Sword Synth and GBS Pure Badger, because they have turned into keyboard dusters.

I am currently in a Shavemac rabbit hole! Its similar to the Wolfman process. Researching knots, lofts, handle types, and handle materials to create a unique brush made just for you! You may get something you were not expecting but then you can go through the process again 😄!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I can't believe you outed me as a 'brush sniffer', lol how did you know :lol:! That's how I pick my brushes for a shave! If there is no scent its time to use it. Ok, well, not every time, but it has happened once or twice :lol:!

I agree with you that the brush is luxurious part of the shave. Its difficult to describe the visceral enjoyment I derive from brushes. Its the time where I am truly in the moment just thinking of the simple act of creating lather and enjoying the process!

@Phoenixkh /Kim, I currently have 29 Brushes. They consist of 1 Synth, 1 Horse, 1 Mistura, 5 Boar and 21 Badgers ( with 3 more badgers on the way, lol ). I don't count my starter brushes, a Wilkinson Sword Synth and GBS Pure Badger, because they have turned into keyboard dusters.

I am currently in a Shavemac rabbit hole! Its similar to the Wolfman process. Researching knots, lofts, handle types, and handle materials to create a unique brush made just for you! You may get something you were not expecting but then you can go through the process again 😄!
I only have two ShaveMac knots. Rudy Vey installed them in some fine handles I loved but whose knots didn't suit me. I really like their Two-band Silvertip knots. I'm sure their other knots would suit me as well but I like a little more scrub than some people. Not DO1 type scrub, I don't think... that's why Rudy suggested the Two-band Silvertips. I like their handles as well. I have looked at their site a few times...OK.. more than a few.

My standard against which I measure my other brushes are my 3 SV Manchurians.... I love them. I did have 23 brushes at one point but I've sold a few and given a bunch away. I gave my wife my two synths that remained after the herd was culled.

Edit: I do love the Mozingo knot Brett installed in a Rudy Vey Persian cobalt blue handle. It's pretty big at 28mm.. and his 28mm knots bloom like crazy. It's a fine addition to my now smallish brush collection. ;)

I only have two ShaveMac knots. Rudy Vey installed them in some fine handles I loved but whose knots didn't suit me. I really like their Two-band Silvertip knots. I'm sure their other knots would suit me as well but I like a little more scrub than some people. Not DO1 type scrub, I don't think... that's why Rudy suggested the Two-band Silvertips. I like their handles as well. I have looked at their site a few times...OK.. more than a few.

My standard against which I measure my other brushes are my 3 SV Manchurians.... I love them. I did have 23 brushes at one point but I've sold a few and given a bunch away. I gave my wife my two synths that remained after the herd was culled.

Edit: I do love the Mozingo knot Brett installed in a Rudy Vey Persian cobalt blue handle. It's pretty big at 28mm.. and his 28mm knots bloom like crazy. It's a fine addition to my now smallish brush collection. ;)
I have a 2 band Shavemac set in a Rudy handle also its a great knot 26/50. My favourite Shavemac knot is a D01 Silvertip ( 3 band ). I have 3 of these, a 22/46 Fan, 22/46 Flat Top and a 24/50 fan. I just ordered a 24/48 2 band Unique knot from Shavemac to see if it is softer/different than their usual 2-band. I have been toying with the idea of a D01 2-band Flat top, but have been hesitant in pulling the trigger. I have one Simpsons Manchurian that can be a bit too much for me. I really only use it when I have skipped a day shaving.

I don't have any of the 2 band artisan brushes like Declaration Grooming, Mozingo, Varlet or Elite Razors. I do have a Paladin though and it is awesome. Being in Canada, it makes it difficult getting brushes made in the USA due to export restrictions. I have had my Rudy Vey shipped to my brother in law in North Carolina but its a bit of a hassle to have him then turn around to ship it to me. Next time I do visit him I will make sure there is a US made brush there for me to pick up 😃.

I have a 2 band Shavemac set in a Rudy handle also its a great knot 26/50. My favourite Shavemac knot is a D01 Silvertip ( 3 band ). I have 3 of these, a 22/46 Fan, 22/46 Flat Top and a 24/50 fan. I just ordered a 24/48 2 band Unique knot from Shavemac to see if it is softer/different than their usual 2-band. I have been toying with the idea of a D01 2-band Flat top, but have been hesitant in pulling the trigger. I have one Simpsons Manchurian that can be a bit too much for me. I really only use it when I have skipped a day shaving.

I don't have any of the 2 band artisan brushes like Declaration Grooming, Mozingo, Varlet or Elite Razors. I do have a Paladin though and it is awesome. Being in Canada, it makes it difficult getting brushes made in the USA due to export restrictions. I have had my Rudy Vey shipped to my brother in law in North Carolina but its a bit of a hassle to have him then turn around to ship it to me. Next time I do visit him I will make sure there is a US made brush there for me to pick up 😃.
I don’t know anything about the Shavemac ‘unique’ knot. I presume you can’t choose it via the configurator. How did you get it, if you don’t mind me asking? I trust you’ll let us know what it’s like once you have used it.

I don’t know anything about the Shavemac ‘unique’ knot. I presume you can’t choose it via the configurator. How did you get it, if you don’t mind me asking? I trust you’ll let us know what it’s like once you have used it.
I emailed Bernd first and asked if he had any available and how I should indicate it on the Configurator. He just mentioned to add it in the comment. There isn't much info here on Unique knots but a few other communities have some discussion on them.

Some discussion revolved around that the knots are in between 2 band silvertip and D01 2 band. Others have posted that there really is no difference from the 2 band silvertip except for the aesthetic of a longer white tip. I don't know how that is going to play out in practice but I thought I would give it a try 😀.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I should have added... one of the ShaveMacs is 28mm bulb and the other a 26mm bulb. I like that extra 2mm. It's just a tad more luxurious. The 28mm fit in Bob from Elite Razor's 26mm handle. I bought Bob's Premium Manchurian knot. It was just a bit too soft for me so for people who love that totally soft feel, it would be perfect. It wasn't floppy at all. I needed a bit more scrub to make it brush I'd reach for on a regular basis. I use it every other shave for applying my pre-shave. It isn't totally broken in but any improvement now will be slight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom