What's new

Are large watches here to stay?

I am little surprised by the number of women who wear large watches. Watches that make a Timex Weekender look toddler sized. Seems that the trend is towards hummer sized watches for both sexes. Giant sized doesn't make sense for a traditional automatic/quartz watch, but for the upcoming internet connected watches that function as a 2nd or 3rd screen (depending on how you count), a large watch will make sense then.

If you have an 8 inch wrist instead of an average 7", you need a watch that's 8/7 the size to maintain proportion. That's 14% bigger.

Yeah, that explains it all.

Edit> Whether a watch looks too big does depend on the strap. This Citizen came with a black leather strap that left the watch looking unbalanced even before it was put on.
Changing it for a chunky steel bracelet made it look much better.
I think this is the largest I could go without it looking funny. It's 42mm excluding buttons. My wrist is 7cm, but I have big hands.
View attachment 340888

I think 42mm looks about right on your wrist, and I wouldn't go any higher, but you're absolutely right that not all wrists are created equal. I wear anything from about 36-46 on my ~8" wrist. I think if the lugs reach over the edge of your wrist, its probably too big......if it looks like you can remove it from your wrist and whack it with a hockey stick, its definitely too big.

Apart from the obvious case diameter, the height also plays a role as there are some obnoxiously tall watches out there.

I'm a "big" old Guy with thick wrist and bad eyes. Got to have a big watch with big numbers on a Ranger wrist strap...anything else is way too small!

I can't stand huge watches. THey just scream insecurity. I like a nice thin simple watch with a leather strap. It'sfor me to see what time it is, not for me to try to make people envious.

but you're absolutely right that not all wrists are created equal

I really agree with this statement, it really depends on your wrists. I wear a 42mm and i can get away with something maybe a little bit bigger, but personally I don't think I would. Here is me in my 42mm.
$photo (12).jpg
But then again my gf is wearing my old watch which is a 40mm and she has tiny wrists, but she likes how it looks on her. Like a lot of things its YMMV. If you like it who am I to tell you not to wear it.

Top Bottom