What's new

Are large watches here to stay?

Watches didn't suddenly get large it has been gradually happening since the 1980s. probably in 30 years or so watches will be strictly viewed as jewelry and most won't wear them. people will wear a device similar to a cell phone, blue tooth with heads up display and it will rule their lives.

Watches didn't suddenly get large it has been gradually happening since the 1980s. probably in 30 years or so watches will be strictly viewed as jewelry and most won't wear them. people will wear a device similar to a cell phone, blue tooth with heads up display and it will rule their lives.

Already the Japanese market is in trouble. Young people use their cell phones as watches and wrist watch sales have fallen. Seiko and Citizen have moved more upscale worldwide to deal with this. Just as you say, they are offering them as jewelry, upscale items rather than utilitarian. It is ironic that this is basically a return to the pocket watch-please set your time back 100 years, but do it electronically!:wink2:

I read an article about the movie "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps." The costume designer (who also did the original movie) said that business casual has taken over there. Expensive watches have replaced fine suits as the status symbol, so she focused a lot on watches in dressing the actors. Take a look at the first few pages of the Wall Street Journal and you will see a dozen ads for very expensive watches where clothing ads once dominated. I suspect the size is a way for some to attract attention to the item. As with so many things, it's frustrating to the true hobbyist when fashion inflates the market. The good news is that if you like these, you will be able to pick one up used after the next crash. I suppose looking at a watch looks more adult than pulling out your cell phone to check the time like a teenager.

I keep finding some very attractive watches online, but cringe when I see how large they are. I have relatively thin wrists, and I don't want to look goofy, no matter how much I love the watch. Nuts. :blink:

Dave

Oversized watches really bug me. The other trend that bothers me is ill-fitting watches. I've seen so many guys the last few years sporting Breitlings with the bracelet all loose and floppy around their wrists. It's as if they can't be bothered to have a link or two removed so it will fit properly. It just looks so sloppy.

Men's Watch Sizes

33-34mm=small
35-36mm=standard
37-38mm=large
39-40mm=extra large
over 40mm=ridiculous
over 50mm=freakish

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks,
Mike

Men's Watch Sizes

33-34mm=small
35-36mm=standard
37-38mm=large
39-40mm=extra large
over 40mm=ridiculous
over 50mm=freakish

Thanks,
Mike

I think for current times (not fashion) you'd be hardpressed to find very much selection in the small or standard sizes you mention. My breitling colt is 41.5 mm and I think it's small to good size. I would like a 46mm breitling/panerai when money permits. I do agree though that ill fitting band/bracelets are tacky and stupid, and also agree that the super huge watches are terrible looking too. Body/wrist size does make a difference though. I think a 5'10" 180lb person wearing a 50+mm watch is just as silly looking as a 6'6" guy wearing a 35mm watch. I also think some of the watches such as some of the breitling "diamond works" watches are just hideous looking in general. Everything in moderation...

Ross

I just re-discovered my omega automatic bumper watch from somewhere in the 1930s to 1950s. Its very petite compared to everything that I almost mistook for a women's watch. I started wearing it again a couple weeks ago and its a beautiful timepiece.

Men's Watch Sizes

33-34mm=small
35-36mm=standard
37-38mm=large
39-40mm=extra large
over 40mm=ridiculous
over 50mm=freakish

Thanks,
Mike

+1. I notice big watches on small people who want to get noticed when the bluetooth earring just isn't cutting it anymore. I'll pass.

We have a guy at work who we call "The Watch"...and it's sad because he's a nice looking guy, otherwise dresses very well, and is in good shape....but the wall clock strapped to his wrist makes him look like a clown.

God, I hope the huge watch thing, which is definitely a capricious fad, fades SOON. The nice thing about being a guy has always been that we are mostly fashion-proof. A man's watch, at least a high-quality one, should ALWAYS be in style. I, for one, am not gullible enough to buy into the "this season's trends" mindset.

Men's Watch Sizes

33-34mm=small
35-36mm=standard
37-38mm=large
39-40mm=extra large
over 40mm=ridiculous
over 50mm=freakish

Thanks,
Mike

Your little sizing chart here is fairly mis-guided... Do you actually own watches of various sizes or did you just measure your Timex Ironman and label it "standard"?

60mm, rocks:)
proxy.php

It all depends on what size wrist's do you have, personally my 42mm is the smallest I'd go for a watch. Currently the biggest I own is my GShock GW3000B which is listed at 49.8 but doesn't seem that big, maybe 46. Otherwise I have a 44mm Orient CEZ05003B and a Seiko Monster.

Personally I have rather larger wrists and usually bust my co-workers balls who got me into watches every time he get's a new watch, since after he sizes them for himself I can't even get them past my knuckles.

Top Bottom