What's new

Are large watches here to stay?

I've got fairly large hands, but my wrists are moderately slim. Anything bigger than 40mm looks ridiculous on me. And like someone else observed on another thread, I'm an old geezer and I can wear whatever makes me feel good! :001_rolle

i have also noticed the seeming influx of gargantuan watches recently. the only ones i think can pull it off well are some of the g-shocks. otherwise you're just copying this guy...

proxy.php

Of course, he wears the clock so *you* can know the time, so those around him don't need watches. I suppose if you average it out the size isn't so bad.

I think large watches are going to be with us for a while. If you look at the new Rolex DeepSea (Sea Dweller) it is much larger than the model it replaced. Rolex is fairly conservative (yes they do offer some rather tacky Presidentials with diamonds and rubies) but generally they have been slow to go large... With Rolex now offering a watch that is this large I think it's safe to say that larger watches will be around a while.

I recently purchased my dream watch, a GMT Master, and tried on the DeepSea. It was massive. Had it not been $9,500 bucks I probably would have bought it over the GMT Master though.... Maybe someday.

For what it's worth that is my 2 cents.

Matt

i don't think large watches 'll last; i personally don't like the look of them;

the biggest one i have is 42mm and that's as large as i would go; to be honest i'm looking at a smaller one now:)

frankly i find the 50-60mm watches to look rude

I'd say it all depends on the person if a larger watch looks good or not. I've got a little better than a 7.5" wrist, and 40mm doesn't look big. Just picked up a 38.7mm citizen yesterday to upgrade from a 38mm invicta that I've been beating on for a year... the thinner case (8mm vs 13mm) makes it seem like a smaller watch, even before picking them up.

The only big watch I wear is my g-shock g100... 47mm x 15mm :blink: and that's really just when I'm biking and don't want to knock around a good watch.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes, as long as there are flashy douchebags around. I often feel that the larger the watch, the worse the personality. Panerai is my benchmark for this phenomenon.* It's one thing to wear a gigantic, insanely luminous diving watch for diving, quite another to wear it out to STK. :001_rolle

*exceptions to this rule include Omega Speedmaster wearers (but definitely does not extend to the Seamaster) and perhaps a few Breitling models. I used to include IWC pilot watches, but sadly the douches have discovered the brand.

:lol:

Once big watches become too commonplace, the hot thing will be smaller watches; it'll be kind of cyclical, but with a few more niche options for those swimming against the current

i seen a masive invicta diver today. i think it was like a 52 or so mm face HUGE

proxy.php

Last edited:
I prefer watches in the 34.5-40mm range and agree that few people can carry off a 46+mm watch. That said, I also remember jacket collars out to the tips of shoulders and completely absent. Fashions come and go. However, one watch dealer told me that some of the drive to larger watches was the ageing population with ageing eyes-the larger faces are, all other things equal, easier to read.

Now I'm not a big time watch guy. In fact I own two. A G-Shock for work and a Wenger as my "dress" watch. The thing is though, I've noticed over the last few years that watch faces seem to have become huge. I don't really pay close attention to watch trends so it may go back further than that. But anyway, my question is, are we going to look back ten years from now and cringe at the size of the watches people are wearing, (they look a bit gaudy to me right now but to each his or her own) or does this mark some type of permanent shift, as permanent as fashion can be that is.

I got so frustrated with the large watches that I ordered this one: http://www.hammacher.com/Product/78658?source=FROOGLE. It's somewhat utilitarian, but I just love it because of its size.

I like watches in the 40-44mm range. I would never go above 44mm.

These may be considered "large" but they fit my wrist well. I think anything in 48-50+ mm range is too big and will likely not remain that commonplace.

I have a 7" wrist and I am comfortable with not much thought up to 42mm diameter, I can go up to 44mm depending on the case design.

Hope not.

I'm a 36mm-38mm kind of guy.

If large watches go out of fashion, I am not sure that it necessarily means smaller watches will go back in style. I hardly see kids today wearing watches - they just check the time on their ipods and cell phones.

I can't stand huge watches. They seem to have taken over standard size watches. I can't go into target and find a normal sized watch anymore.

I no longer wear a watch, since the watch my dad used to wear gave up the ghost.

Does anyone else have issues with their wrists swelling? One reason I don't like to wear a watch is that I have to constantly adjust it. If I don't adjust it about 10 times a day, it will wind up cutting off the circulation to my hand or flopping about nearly enough to rotate the face onto the side of my wrist.

I definitely hope they're not here to stay, but I think they'll be around for a while. Not only do they look ridiculous, but many of the people I see wearing them don't have the watches correctly sized, so they flop around on their wrists and slide halfway up their forearms. Considering that most stores that sell watches will size them for free, I see no reason to not have it sized to your wrist. Who knows, maybe they bought the big, gaudy things at a flea market.

Asking whether big watches are here to stay is a bit like asking whether rampant, crass consumerism is here to stay, or "Will some people ever realise that sleeves stop at THE ARM and not the knuckle?" or......."Is canned goo here to stay?"

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Big watches will be passe in 10 years. It's the nature of fashion. We look for change. We try to make a statement with our clothes and accessories. If we just wanted to be able to tell the time we would have a chip implanted in our brains. Or check the cel phone. In the dark, you can't see much of a dress watch. Maybe the hands and cardinal dots if they are luminous but that's it. No alarm, usually. It doesn't light up. You can't make a phone call with it, navigate by its internal GPS with it, or do (accurate) arithmetic with it. A $15 digital is more practical and more accurate, with more features. A dress watch is jewelry, and while classic jewelry designs will always be with us as familiar relics of yesteryear and will always be acceptable, THE fashion will change, often simply for the sake of change. But the classic looks always make a resurgence sooner or later. Look at lapels. Look at ties. Shoes. The time tested look always comes back, only to be eclipsed after a few years with the latest thing.

But don't throw away your big watchzilla timepiece a few years from now when plain but understatedly elegant 36mm faces are back in vogue. It will be stylish again some day.

Top Bottom