What's new

Are large watches here to stay?

I decided to dig out a 20 year old 34mm Tag that I wore back in college. I felt as though I was wearing a girls slim line watch. With 2 exceptions, every watch I own is at least 40mm with my 2 favorites being 44 and 46mm respectively. Are large watches here to stay...... nah, we are fickle and go small again..... I just hope not soon.

Michael

The same is true for me as well. Only in the past few years have I had a decent selection of 40-44mm watches to select from.

I've got about an 8" wrist, and I still don't like big watches. In 20 years they will be in the 'holy crap....I used to wear that?'-bin along with parachute pants, mullets and everything goth.:laugh:

Size should be dictated by the purpose of the watch.

42mm is max ....see the Omega Speedmaster Professional for example. A perfect size for a chronograph....lasted since 1950's

40mm....Rolex Submariner....lasted since 1950's

36mm....Rolex Datejust....lasted since 1930's?/1940's

33mm....Patek Phillippe Calatrava....forever!

My personal opinion is that a dress style watch should be no larger than 36mm and true tool watches like chronographs and divers should not exceed 42mm. These are the tasteful ranges. Any watch that exceeds 46mm is flat out tacky and absurd.

I like watches best in the 38-42mm range. Most I can afford seem to be bigger or smaller though, at least in the styles I like.

I really hope the large watches are not here to stay. I am a little guy and those watches look like a flavor flave clocks on me. I love the look of the B&B watch, but it's just far too large for me.

The other week I tried on the newest, biggest and baddest G-Shock. the GX-56. Its twice the volume of a std DW5600E! Built like a tank with I'd guess a 26mm strap. Its bloody huge, but somehow doesn't look stupid on my 7.5" wrist.

I wear a standard size mens watch and can't see putting on something any bigger. I did when I was in high school many many years ago. I had a different watch for every day of the month. Now I have only a few watches that I wear and nothing with major "BLING" factor. Just something decent that I like and is not the size of a hub cap.

I really hope the large watches are not here to stay. I am a little guy and those watches look like a flavor flave clocks on me. I love the look of the B&B watch, but it's just far too large for me.

Seiko 5s are classically sized (although now made in Singapore) and very well made. I have a couple of them and love them.

Since this is shaving forum, I wonder if there's a style correlation.

I wear a 38mm Hamilton and have my eye on a 33mm vintage watch on ebay. I shave with a couple of Gillettes from the 60s.

A friend of mine goes for the 42mm+ size watches and shaves with a Edwin Jagger.

I think they've gained in size as all Americans have gained in size. A great big fat wrist looks more normal with a great big fat watch! Yay, super-size me!

I don't like the modern style of giant watches at all. Anything larger than 40mm looks weird on my wrist, at least in my opinion.

I have smaller watches (a Limes Cartouche and a Poljot Strela) that I use as "dressy watches, but I have to admit I prefer my larger watches (Seiko Sumo, Kobold Spirit of America). And when wear the smaller watches they feel small.

Styles come and go. My grandfather saved his wide tie from the 1930's until they came back in style in the 1970's.
I don't believe that watches are any different so, if we apply the same math, it will only be about another 10 years before they start to shrink! :eek:)

Last edited:
Trends may come and go, but i see no reason to get caught up in that. I would not purchase a large watch just because its the flavor of the day...I'd buy a watch that will look great 30 years from now

If you have an 8 inch wrist instead of an average 7", you need a watch that's 8/7 the size to maintain proportion. That's 14% bigger.

Yeah, that explains it all.

attachment.php

Edit> Whether a watch looks too big does depend on the strap. This Citizen came with a black leather strap that left the watch looking unbalanced even before it was put on.
Changing it for a chunky steel bracelet made it look much better.
I think this is the largest I could go without it looking funny. It's 42mm excluding buttons. My wrist is 7cm, but I have big hands.
$Citizen_Eco-Drive_R0010868.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom