What's new

Anyone carry a ‘pocket piece’ coin?

I am not a coin collecter but do have a general interest in coins. I’m also the annoying guy that still pays almos anything in cash using good old coins and bills.

I also have a self created tradition of carrying a ‘pocket piece’ or ‘lucky coin’ if you will. It’s basically nothing more than carrying an interesting in coin in the pocket every day. It can be modern coinage or some old silver. Doesn’t really matter.

The ‘fun’ part to me is making sure I carry it every day and taking care to not lose it. I also like to monitor how it wears over time with keys and regular change in the same pocket. Last but not least I find it fascinating to carry something really old that was used by people in actual trade. If only these coins could talk… I’m currently carrying a bronze 1927 Danish 5 Øre coin.

Anyone else carry a ‘pocket piece’? And what coin is it?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Interesting idea. I have too much crap in pockets already, so don't really need anything else. I try not lose my keys and when I don't, that's a win for the day. But I'll give you this - examining an old coin you've been carrying around waiting in line somewhere is preferable to staring at your cellphone constantly and fiddling with a old coin with your fingers is preferable to the obnoxious fidget toys that everyone seems to have these days.

I carry a couple of old British coins. This one’s about the same size as a U.S. silver dollar.

Attachments

• IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4151 2.jpg
    IMG_4151 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7

Legion

Staff member
I used to carry a US Morgan dollar, but it was getting worn pretty quickly, which was a shame, so I stopped. It still sits on my desk at home.

My wedding ring was made from a silver half dollar. Does that count?

I have carried one die in my pocket since I got my license. My late Uncle gave it to me for luck...no idea why but...

I averaged 20 to 25,000 km on my bike a year. Canada so "riding" season is not much more then 6 months. Never went down so maybe he was right.

It now stays with me out of habit.
Also have a key from the first house I bought, at 19.

Be well
Jay

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I had a flipping coin I carried around for a while in the 70s.
Busty nude (heads) and rear shot (tails). About the size of a quarter in brass.
Couldn't show a pic here but I'm sure you can imagine.
My girlfriend probably chucked it as I have no idea whatever happened to it.

I have carried one die in my pocket since I got my license. My late Uncle gave it to me for luck...no idea why but...

I averaged 20 to 25,000 km on my bike a year. Canada so "riding" season is not much more then 6 months. Never went down so maybe he was right.

Be well
Jay
Anything that reminds you about safety before getting on a bike has magical properties. Smart man, your uncle!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I also have a self created tradition of carrying a ... ‘lucky coin’ ... It can be modern coinage or some old silver. Doesn’t really matter.

Curious that you find the "luck" in the act of carrying rather than in a specific coin. Most people who attach luck to carrying a trinket would do it the other way round, and consider the luck "lost" if they swapped out the lucky item out for a different one.

1690833873563.png

I've carried an old English sixpence in my wallet for many years. Started from experimenting with using it as a plectrum, a la Brian May, and even though I've got a few of them now I still keep the same one in my wallet.

Be well
Jay
Holy Smokes, that's a lot of riding! How do you manage the hours dedicated to riding? I get in about 2,000 to 3,000 miles per year, a combination of outdoor and indoor (stationary bike) riding

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
No, but we have a Kennedy half dollar on the kitchen window sill. We use it for difficult questions like martinis or old fashioneds. I ask my wife which she prefers, she says she doesn't know, and one (or both) says, "Let's ask Jack."

Holy Smokes, that's a lot of riding! How do you manage the hours dedicated to riding? I get in about 2,000 to 3,000 miles per year, a combination of outdoor and indoor (stationary bike) riding
It was a Harley Davidson and I commuted 1.5 hours each way!

Jay

Wife gave me a coin on our honeymoon 15 years ago. Rose on one side, an appropriate sentiment on the other. When I leave the house, if she's not with me, it is.

Top Bottom