What's new

A Toggle from Dad.

I’m a young wet shaving enthusiast collector of all vintage Gillette’s and today… is a very special day for me. My dad didn’t pass down this razor for me… he found and bought a F-4 Toggle for me and I still can’t believe it. No I don’t have dads money… I’m a married independent man and my dad isn’t rich, he’s just a special man who loves his boys… I count myself very blessed. He doesn’t do things like this often and I was absolutely blown away! I wanted to share this special moment with my fellow B&B’rs and to wish you the best in your journey of collecting and wetshaving.

I’ll post photos below. I’ve soaked it several times in very hot water and dawn because it was pretty plugged up. The cosmetic condition is actually what I’d consider very good. It’s not mechanically perfect. The dial clicker is seized up and I’m hoping it frees as I soak it more. The toggle mechanism does work flawlessly. I’ve lightly scrubbed it clean. Any tips on getting this clicker free?

I’m still having to convince myself I own one of these now…
BE7E0BCE-89BE-4918-90D9-2B81A5267102.jpeg

Attachments

• D411422A-39BC-45EA-AEDD-1C2DFCA2AF01.jpeg
    D411422A-39BC-45EA-AEDD-1C2DFCA2AF01.jpeg
    937.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 9E932CB7-F999-4AFB-807F-63A09FEA0C8A.jpeg
    9E932CB7-F999-4AFB-807F-63A09FEA0C8A.jpeg
    904.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 5C9C5618-A63D-45C9-99F5-EE7E23C8C317.jpeg
    5C9C5618-A63D-45C9-99F5-EE7E23C8C317.jpeg
    829.6 KB · Views: 39
Wow fantastic for you! Dad, if you're reading, I want a Darwin!
Long soak in a an ultrasonic with some dish soap and hot water is my recommendation to get that dial moving. Don't force too hard, but try some back and forth pressure on it.
Haha! Thanks for the tip. The dial moves but with significant pressure and there’s no audible click…. yet (hopefully)

That's for sure a great gift and an item you can cherish for many years.

That being said depending on your success with cleaning it yourself think about having it sent to a company that does "tune-up" services.

You don't need to get it replated with new gold, but maybe it could be a good idea that someone with the correct knowledge can take it apart, clean it and make it work properly, so you can enjoy it to the fullest for many years 👍🏼

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Awesome gift!

Anytime I’ve had Gillette adjustables seize up, I soak them in hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap, and while submerged in it simply ‘work‘ the adjustment dial back and forth, back and forth … just keep twisting and eventually it will work freely.

If this is unsuccessful, reach out to Chris at Back Roads Gold and see what he thinks.

Enjoy that legacy gift from Dad and the journey ahead.

That's for sure a great gift and an item you can cherish for many years.

That being said depending on your success with cleaning it yourself think about having it sent to a company that does "tune-up" services.

You don't need to get it replated with new gold, but maybe it could be a good idea that someone with the correct knowledge can take it apart, clean it and make it work properly, so you can enjoy it to the fullest for many years 👍🏼
I was thinking the same thing. I thought about sending it to Matt at RE since I’m not sure if Captain Murphy is still able to take on any more projects. I know Chris at BRG doesn’t too much care for working with them of which I understand! And thanks for the tip as well. I vote +1 on sending it to someone who can thoroughly check it out. I think it deserves that.

Awesome gift!

Anytime I’ve had Gillette adjustables seize up, I soak them in hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap, and while submerged in it simply ‘work‘ the adjustment dial back and forth, back and forth … just keep twisting and eventually it will work freely.

If this is unsuccessful, reach out to Chris at Back Roads Gold and see what he thinks.

Enjoy that legacy gift from Dad and the journey ahead.
Thanks for the tip! If it doesn’t free up soon I’ll definitely send it off to a pro.

Haha! Thanks for the tip. The dial moves but with significant pressure and there’s no audible click…. yet (hopefully)
My toggle, which was fully restored, also has a tigrht dial and no click.

Other toggle owners can chime in here, but I'm not sure that it isn't expected that the dial will be tight and I don't think they are supposed to have a click at each number.

I could be wrong, but it may be that your toggle's function isn't that far away from ideal.

My toggle, which was fully restored, also has a tigrht dial and no click.

Other toggle owners can chime in here, but I'm not sure that it isn't expected that the dial will be tight and I don't think they are supposed to have a click at each number.

I could be wrong, but it may be that your toggle's function isn't that far away from ideal.
Interesting… maybe so.

Congratulations! That is a really nice specimen. If mine, I would definitely leave its original finish intact as it looks great already, with the visible signs of wear give it character and personality.

I agree with the repeated soakings and the ultrasonic cleaning suggestions. A jewelry cleaning cloth to wipe it after each use too.

Top Bottom