What's new

Does Cost Matter?

Does cost matter with razors?

I came across a video of a Scottish man naming his six favorite stainless steel razors. ("My Top 6 Stainless Steel Razors" by Kevy Shaves.) He prefaced it by saying there were a number of very expensive razors on the list, and his No. 6 was something called a Carbon CX which, sure enough, when I looked it up, turned out to cost US$280.

But then his No. 1 choice was the Rockwell 6S. I only have the 2C, but it struck me that his No. 1 was a pretty accessible, mainstream choice.

So my newbie question for today is, is there any correspondence between cost and goodness where razors are concerned? I know there are some that are very finely made, but does that equate to performance?

I'm not saying this is true. I know very little. I have very close to zero experience. But so far I prefer my $5.99* eBay-special Gillette Tech to my $135 Rex Envoy.

I just wonder whether DE razors might be one of those things were higher cost doesn't necessarily correlate with being better. Interested to hear what more experienced wet shavers (and more seasoned razor acquirers--is that a word?) think.

MtB

*A travel kit with the stubby handle. I did add RE's replica ball-end handle for $25. So $31 all in.

Attachments

• tech.jpg
    tech.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I think cost matters, but it is just one of many variables. The materials of titanium or stainless steel cost more and this gives the razor a much longer life expectancy, since zamak can corrode in a few years. Better tolerances can add to the cost and can make variables like blade alignment more consistent. Then there is the added cost of polishing and coating of some razors with gold or rhodium…. So lots of variables to consider But spending more does not necessarily make for a better shave

A good example of cost/performance is the Rockwell. You have the 2C, and I have the 6C, which thus far is the best razor I ever used. (C = chrome, S = stainless steel). One can spend 2x more for the 6S, or even more for a colored 6S. Yes, the razor will last longer because of better materials. But it seems that about 2/3 of thise that have used both the 6C and 6S prefer the less expensive 6C since the shiny chrome finish has more glide (I would imagine glide also has a lot to do with the shave soap used). So the 6C might be better but the 6S will theoretically last longer. However, since I got mine direct from Rockwell, it includes a lifetime warranty. So value wise the 6C seems better (if you like shiny things). 2C and if you need more aggressive plates, Rockwell sells the plates separately.

Attachments

• 44454811-99CE-48F9-ADA0-67D6C67294C2.jpeg
    44454811-99CE-48F9-ADA0-67D6C67294C2.jpeg
    623.8 KB · Views: 20

I came across a video of a Scottish man naming his six favorite stainless steel razors. ("My Top 6 Stainless Steel Razors" by Kevy Shaves.) He prefaced it by saying there were a number of very expensive razors on the list, and his No. 6 was something called a Carbon CX which, sure enough, when I looked it up, turned out to cost US$280.

But then his No. 1 choice was the Rockwell 6S. I only have the 2C, but it struck me that his No. 1 was a pretty accessible, mainstream choice.

So my newbie question for today is, is there any correspondence between cost and goodness where razors are concerned? I know there are some that are very finely made, but does that equate to performance?

I'm not saying this is true. I know very little. I have very close to zero experience. But so far I prefer my $5.99* eBay-special Gillette Tech to my $135 Rex Envoy.

I just wonder whether DE razors might be one of those things were higher cost doesn't necessarily correlate with being better. Interested to hear what more experienced wet shavers (and more seasoned razor acquirers--is that a word?) think.

MtB

*A travel kit with the stubby handle. I did add RE's replica ball-end handle for $25. So $31 all in.
I agree fully with @brucered. Cost does not equate performance. You can have a $10 Vintage Gillette Tech that will last you a lifetime no problem. In most cases the build quality/material is what drives the cost. A casted razor will in most cases be a more affordable razor. However, most of those are made out of zamak and then plated and if the plating is compromised they will rust. Now if you find a cast brass razor like the Fatips, they are still plated, but they will not rust if the plating is damaged/worn. Many of the vintage razors are also made out of brass.

This brings us to the CNC machined razors and this is where you will encounter the higher priced razors. There are several materials like aluminum (cheapest), brass, stainless steel and titanium (most expensive). There might be other materials available as well. These will be made with CNC machine precision so you have less variability between razor to razor whereas in a casted scenario one razor might be fine, but when you buy another of the same kind it is slightly different. This is due to tolerances that they are able to keep. Of course there are a wide range within the CNC machined razors as the price range. You have everything from the RazoRock Stainless/Aluminum razors to the Blackland Razors and many others. There is a wide range of prices within the CNC machined ones and you would have to investigate which ones that provide the best value for you.

Last edited:
For me, cost is a factor.
But my face matters first with a balance of cost.
I can get a great shave with my Parker 94R .
I can also get a great shave with Outlaw Evo.
But has the great "brucered" stated ...Better build quality, durability, tighter tolerance may also come into play..some may notice, some may not be able to tell..

Again, Skills matter...for performance ( consistent)
BFX

Of course, sometimes people just want nice things, and I certainly understand that.

And then there are other issues, sometimes. On my website over the years we've had sales of photographic prints ranging in price anywhere from $20 to $600. Back in the teens these sales were very successful--we had a sale of small dye transfers (an esoteric, difficult, and rare printing process) in which we sold 736 prints at (IIRC) ~$110 each (80% went to the artist, 20% to me). But one time, a reader called me up who was very unhappy. Our then-current print sale featured a medium-sized print that cost about $175, and this reader explained that he couldn't buy it because it was too cheap. He explained that he lived in a $4 million house, and he had a lot of artwork on the walls, but not one single piece of artwork in his entire house had cost less than $5,000. He had been very principled as he put his collection together and worked very hard to keep the quality high. He told me he loved our print, but he was just not willing to hang a piece of artwork in his home that cost only $175.

"Oh, I can take care of that, no problem!" I said. "I'll gladly sell you one for $5,000!"

"No, no, I'm not doing that," he said. I gave him a pretty good pep talk about how it's the art that's important, not the price, and that if he loved it, then that was its value to him. But the bottom line was, he didn't buy a print. And he was very unhappy about it. But having such an inexpensive print hanging on his wall would have made it stick out like a sore thumb, in his mind.

Maybe that's why I don't covet a Blackland or a Wolfman! I'm more the type of guy who likes being a good craftsman with inexpensive, ordinary tools. I have to admit, the idea of using a Tech appeals to me for that reason.

MtB

"Does cost matter?" For me, the answer is "yes, up to a point." Every modern brass and stainless steel razor I have tried are very high quality tools rhat should last a lifetime with even basic care.

However, there is a point for me at which a razor's performance is mostly maximized, and more expensive just means better "fit and finish" rather than better shave quality.

For example, I can compare the Blackbird wit the Merica. The Blackbird ($200 US) is more than double the price of the Merica ($90 US), but does it shave more than 2 times better? Not for me; they are pretty close in performance. The Blackbird is maybe 1-2% more efficient. In other words, the extra 1-2% in efficiency more than doubles the price. Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying anything bad about the Blackbird; It's a very high quality razor with excellent fit and finish. I'm just saying that there are dimishing returns for me in terms of cost and performance.

MtB

And away we go. 🙂

My answer: nope*

* just my opinion, ymmv

Though you claim to be a n00b, you have very wisely concluded that a vintage Tech is a fine razor (my favorite) and may be all you really need.

Edit:

Of course, that's no fun, and you can get a very nice machined stainless steel razor from Razorock. A mere 65 bucks will get you a Game Changer that will easily outlive you.

Last edited:
Cost doesn’t matter. Technique matters. With good technique, a great shave can be had with any razor. Save your money and work on technique. My $4.50 Yuma is the best DE in my den. My free 1949 Tech shaves like a dream. I bought an unused 1978 Superadjustable for $10. I bought a SuperSpeed new in 1973 for $1.99. I’ve never spent more than $17 for a razor, a 1966 Slim. These are all great razors that will provide great shaves for life.
It’s the technique that matters.

It really depends on a lot of factors. If you compare $10-$30 modern razors vs $200 or more expensive ones, then the difference in both quality and performance in 99.99% of the time would be like comparing an Iphone 4 vs Iphone 13 Pro, but that doesn't necessarily mean that expensive razors are magical and that you can randomly pick one and be fully satisfied.

Now, if we compare a $100-$150 razor to a say $250-$300, the difference is going to be even smaller in terms of both quality and shaving performence. Then again, $100 razors can still fall into the expensive cathegory for some shavers.

Another thing that comes to mind is what the end goal of the user is. If he just wants to get a good shave with the possibility to save money in the process, then there are lots of modern razors for $30-$60, which can fit into that category without a problem.

People like me, who own a lot of somewhat expensive razors and still keep buying them one after another are not exactly the best place for you to ask for an advice, because for us shaving means way more than it does for the average men and we're beyond the point of saving money or just wanting to get a good shave.

MtB

For me the price doesn't matter, as they told you before, the "technique" counts, the "foam" counts, especially at the beginning
But I can tell you that... for me the razor must first be "efficient" unfortunately many "gillette tech" type razors do not satisfy me and for me they are too delicate
A merkur progress set to 5 would be different, although this is not expensive, it satisfies me.
However, there are razors out there for all tastes and budgets, like any hobby many expenses are not necessary

Check RazoRock if you want something good that doesn't brake the bank, their SS razors have reasonable prices and they shave very well ( Lupo DC ); if I could only have one. I do have some expensive old and new ones....and they aren't better.
I have to sheepishly admit that I've already bought, um, two. I got a little carried away when I first discovered this whole wet shaving thing, and all the videos, and the community....

I haven't even used the GC .84 yet. (I'm trying to learn to shave first. To give it a shot.)

MtB

Like anything else in life, cost doesn't really matter, but it feels good to love the tools you're using. And usually we love expensive tools a bit more.
Very true. In a much earlier life, I was a carpenter, and I bonded with an old hammer I had casually taken from my childhood home. After using it for eons it began to weaken, and I went to great lengths to reinforce the attachment of the head and repair the handle, etc. I was accustomed to its balance and feel, and liked it, and the new ones I tried felt foreign and unfamiliar. I didn't want to change.

It made me wish that I had started out with a much better hammer in the first place. Lesson learned.

MtB

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Better performance - No
Better build quality - Yes, sometimes. ie) stainless or titanium is more durable than pot metal or plastic
@brucered stated ot perfectly early on in the thread. I have an aluminum British tech that I purchased for $3 USD in a shave shop here in Denver. It is really the only razor I would ever need. My whiskers and technique are perfectly suited to mild razors paired with a sharp blade. Being made of aluminum means I don't need to worry about corrosion (I believe that is true, if someone knows otherwise let me know).

I also own a Timeless SS .68sb. Again, a mild razor that I pair with sharp blades and I get amazing shaves with it. Coming in at $245 USD it wasn't cheap, but it will last my lifetime +++. And I love it.

Early on I owned a Gamechanger with both the .84 and .68 plates. Again, I had great shaves with this razor and it would have lasted a lifetime ++.

As you can see above, a wide variety of razors are available in a wide range of cost. Does cost matter? As @brucered stated sometimes. I reckon that a good old Merkur 34c would likely last this old man the rest of his life, zamak head and all. If not I could shell out another $35 for a second go if needed.

As a sub note, what's the over/under on @Mike the Beginner eventually falling into the straight razor rabbit hole in due time? I'd wager it's going to happen. We're here for you when it does, Mike. I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to more. Happy shaves!

Top Bottom