What's new

Does Cost Matter?

When I first started there were very few expensive razors on the market. Everything was dominated by Merkur and vintage Gillette models. There were a few expensive collector items but most people were using common razors available for $40 or much less. A little later EJ and Muhle came on the scene, and then a bit after that there were a few companies selling more expensive CNC'd razors.

The proliferation of all these boutique brands of expensive CNC'd razors are a relatively new thing in this hobby in my view and completely unnecessary to get a good shave. Nothing wrong with $$$ stuff if that's what you want to buy but both new people and long time DE shavers should not start thinking they need this stuff.

Hype with any product is cyclical and plenty of folks will fall victim to FOMO off a couple of glowing reviews or stealth-sponsored content on YouTube or whatever.

A lot of these companies, IMHO, are just following the money when it comes to deciding what path to take. Wetshaving is way more popular now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. With that popularity, you get more high-end customers willing to shell out more for a particular item.

It wouldn't make a lot of sense for a company today to try to beat Merkur/EJ/Muhle at their own game as they have to establish brand awareness and trust in the market first which takes time. The company would also have to invest a lot up front if they want their own factory for casting razor parts. Even if they use a third party, they will have to pay for tooling to be made. Also, their $50-60 razor will be knocked off by an Ali Express vendor in no time.

My 2 cents.

I think cost matters, but it is just one of many variables.

A good example of cost/performance is the Rockwell. You have the 2C, and I have the 6C, which thus far is the best razor I ever used.
I'm brand new at this so my opinion carries little weight, but while I like my Tech best, the Rockwell is the better and more useful razor. Although I only have the 2C, I would say a 6C is probably the best starter razor. There seems to be general agreement that the R3, R4, and R5 plates are the most useful, and even though I find the R3 works fine for me, I'd like to have the R4 and R5 to experience them.

It's just that after using the 2C / R3 plate, I imagined that better razors would be better. So I had to buy some to try them. I found out that I like the Rockwell better than the 3 more expensive razors I bought. But how would I have known that if I didn't try them?

MtB

When I first started there were very few expensive razors on the market. Everything was dominated by Merkur and vintage Gillette models. There were a few expensive collector items but most people were using common razors available for $40 or much less. A little later EJ and Muhle came on the scene, and then a bit after that there were a few companies selling more expensive CNC'd razors.

The proliferation of all these boutique brands of expensive CNC'd razors are a relatively new thing in this hobby in my view and completely unnecessary to get a good shave. Nothing wrong with $$$ stuff if that's what you want to buy but both new people and long time DE shavers should not start thinking they need this stuff.

Hype with any product is cyclical and plenty of folks will fall victim to FOMO off a couple of glowing reviews or stealth-sponsored content on YouTube or whatever.

A lot of these companies, IMHO, are just following the money when it comes to deciding what path to take. Wetshaving is way more popular now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. With that popularity, you get more high-end customers willing to shell out more for a particular item.

It wouldn't make a lot of sense for a company today to try to beat Merkur/EJ/Muhle at their own game as they have to establish brand awareness and trust in the market first which takes time. The company would also have to invest a lot up front if they want their own factory for casting razor parts. Even if they use a third party, they will have to pay for tooling to be made. Also, their $50-60 razor will be knocked off by an Ali Express vendor in no time.

My 2 cents.
Let's not forget that much of the current DE craze (at least in the US) started with a well-placed TV commercial for a Chinese razor.

Difficult to say to anyone this is perfect for you.😢

I do not know anything about your personal.

Skin

Beard

How your bead growns

How think your beard is

All factors in find out what MIGHT WORK FOR YOU.

Still say finding perfect combo for anyone, is trail, and error.

Think the key is Right Razor, and Blade combo.

We are all different, back in USMC Boot Camp, we all used Same Issued Shave Gear. Some Recruits suffer every shave, got cut n nicks.

Yes, cost matters if you want more refined product.
No, if you want a good shave.

My new favorite is 23 € DSC AX-SE (with 3 plates). Next to it is 5€ Yaqi OC and 5€ Mellon zamack. I have some SS Yaqi heads for ca 50€. But I get better shaves from zamack heads.

My favrortite shavette is generic A77 shavette for 5€. I have also more expensive Focus Slim and Feather SR. Very good razors. But the higher cost does not show in shave quality.

The Micro Touch One commercials with Rick Harrison from Pawn Stars. It was mail-order at first, then became available at Walmart and some other department stores. Then came the Art of Shaving kiosks at Macy's (at least around here). Walmart has kept a cheap DE in stock, just in case.

I have really enjoyed reading all the replies to this post. There are so many different ways to reply that I just wanted to interject a couple of thoughts.

I bought a Muhle R41 Zamak head for $25 added a spare handle and loved the shave. I then bought the R41 GS, the SS version, for $150. It was heavier but other than that I couldn’t tell any difference in the shave. For me the higher priced SS didn’t add anything to improve the shave. I’m sure there are others that wouldn’t agree.

I recently read on one of the forums someone commenting on this same subject and said that Tiger Woods could use a cheap set of clubs and still shoot a great round of golf. Now the person who said this has his own definition of a great round of golf. I doubt Tiger would agree.

I believe there are many definitions of what a great shave is. There is one thing I would suggest to the OP. Whether an inexpensive or expensive razor look for how long that razor has survived the test of time. If people keep buying it it’s probably a pretty good razor.

One thing I would add to my above post. Where as my R41 Zamak vs the SS showed very little difference, my Timeless .95 OC SS vs the Ti are very different. The Ti proved to be much more nimble with an increased degree of softness I didn’t feel in the SS.

I recently read on one of the forums someone commenting on this same subject and said that Tiger Woods could use a cheap set of clubs and still shoot a great round of golf. Now the person who said this has his own definition of a great round of golf. I doubt Tiger would agree.

I think he was merely trying to point out that a very skilful person would still be able to perform well even with much more basic and inexpensive equipment just like an amateur won't get very far even if he's using the best tools. Of course, a professionalist will still be in a slight disadvantage by using cheaper tools/equipment, but the point here is about the skill.

While skill is very important even in shaving, I think a lot of people are using it in competitive way just to show to others how great they are. This isn't football, soccer, tennis or whatever and we're not competing for gold medals and titles here, but I guess it's in our nature to compete for everything and anything at anytime we see fit just to prove a point of how good we are at something.

I think he was merely trying to point out that a very skilful person would still be able to perform well even with much more basic and inexpensive equipment just like an amateur won't get very far even if he's using the best tools. Of course, a professionalist will still be in a slight disadvantage by using cheaper tools/equipment, but the point here is about the skill.

While skill is very important even in shaving, I think a lot of people are using it in competitive way just to show to others how great they are. This isn't football, soccer, tennis or whatever and we're not competing for gold medals and titles here, but I guess it's in our nature to compete for everything and anything at anytime we see fit just to prove a point of how good we are at something.
I understand your point. I was trying to point out to the OP, who said he was very inexperience, that as he gains experience his view of performance will likely change. As you say an amateur won’t get very far even using the best equipment, but as his skill improves the better equipment will generally help improve his skill at a faster pace.

I understand your point. I was trying to point out to the OP, who said he was very inexperience, that as he gains experience his view of performance will likely change. As you say an amateur won’t get very far even using the best equipment, but as his skill improves the better equipment will generally help improve his skill at a faster pace.

That would be my recommendation as well. It took me years of shaving with vintage and inexpensive modern razors at the beginning to end up using most high end razors at the market. I've met quite a few people who just skipped the inexpensive razors and just bought most high end razors on the market within a few months.

I really don't understand the point of doing that, because it took me years of experience and practice and trying new razors to come up with what I like and I dislike and seeing folks who just got into wet shaving spending a few thousand dollars for razors is an overkill, but then again that's my take on this and if they like what they are doing, then good for them. It's their money, time and life after all.

IMO yes to a slight degree. It has more to do with the type of shave you like and the razors available for that type of shave. Clearly, there are different costs based on the material used and the process used to machine/cast the razor.

What makes the biggest difference for a good shave is how the razors are made. Razors made with a CNC machine are typically much better than razors made by casting. The CNC machines allow much more precision and very tight tolerances. I recommend CNC razors of any material over cast produced razors.

Once you pick a CNC machined razor, there are variances in the CNC process and skill of the manufacturer. Within this, there are HUGE variances in pricing. If you want a "collectors item" type razor, you will pay through the nose. While they typically offer good shaves, you can get great shaves from razors without a huge price tag.

For example some of my favorite razors are:

These razors are the highest quality machining and precision for under $100
Karve Overlander Brass $90
TRC Stainless Steel $80
Henson AL 13 $80

Also, RazoRock offers a HUGE variety of well machined stainless steel razors from mild to wild an under $100

The razors mentioned are premium quality razors and offer a very premium shave experience.

It is possible to get a good or bad shaving razor at any price point. Cost, as stated above, should bring better materials and finishing and perhaps unique styling, but plenty of £30 razors will last for years and shave brilliantly.

Last edited:
My first DE was a $9 Chinese Super Speed knock-off from Sally Beauty. My second DE shave was with the EJ DE89...that I ordered with the toilet paper still stuck on my face from the first DE shave.

I found my ONE RAZOR TO RULE THEM ALL (birth year Super Adjustable ) pretty early, so it's doubtful that I'll set out to buy another modern DE for myself. I'll pick up vintage razors as a collector/picker when I come across them.
LOL, I started with a knockoff of a Weishi. Something like this one:

LOL, I started with a knockoff of a Weishi. Something like this one:
I gave mine to a friend that was going to buy the TV DE. He bought an Edwin Jagger after his first shave, too...lol.

Top Bottom