What's new

Henson Ti +++ Razor – I am a fan!

H.jpg

One line summary: A very efficient, yet mild feeling razor

Was jonesing for a nice Ti razor and came across a comment from an avid enthusiast which
likened the Henson to "a cross between Blackbird and Timeless".

Picked the +++ head which Henson calls "aggressive"...the full razor arrived in flawless
condition from Maggard. The stock handle is actually very nice and grippy but I was blown away
by the pairing of the Timeless Crown Ti handle with this head...very elegant, a modern classic.

Spectacular shave with not one iota of irritation or any nicks whatsoever. I had a very unsightly
4-day growth of coarse beard and this device scythed through it with consummate smoothness.
The angle is to simply rest the slope of the head on your skin and go. If you overcompensate,
it will just result in the head sliding harmlessly over skin. I can see why this design was picked
to appeal to cartridge users...it's very intuitive and risk-free.

Caveat: if you do not appreciate the phenomenon of stiction (some call it "drag", which I feel is
not accurate for me), you will find this razor odd and perhaps not like it. I don't mind it at all...in
fact, the stiction is what informs me that it is cutting well.

In terms of efficiency I find this a relatively mild-feeling razor that delivers a high level of efficiency.
This mild face-feel may well be due to the Ti factor. I am about 18 hours out and am just beginning to
feel the faintest of stubble emerging. This could easily be a daily razor for those who have very fast
regrowth...for an alternate day shaver, ideal.

Wanted to address the comment about cross between blackbird and Timeless. I can see where the reference
to Blackbird comes from. The flat and sloping top cap reminds me of the BB and also the Sailor...the baseplate
looks pretty unique to me. Top marks to the Henson team for making this. Definitely a keeper for me...in fact,
I might consider emailing them to see if I can get just a "medium" head.

I don't buy razors just to test, as I have many other vices to fund.
From past experience, I think "aggressive" is a term all razor makers
use to cover themselves from any backlash (ie.why didn't you warn me
beforehand etc?)

If I see a gap that is about 1mm or thereabout, I know it is not going to be
aggressive for me (unless the exposure is crazy high). The head geometry,
to me, makes this razor shave like a razor with a higher gap. Also, the razor
is not very loud with high pitched feedback...quite calm and relaxing, actually.

This "aggressive" version is mild, and I would say, quite perfect for me. The
Wolfman WR2 1.55...now that is where aggressive starts to take shape.

Last edited:
When I first started using a Henson I wasn’t too keen on the handle and immediately started looking for an alternative. But I never found anything I wanted, and now I actually really like the OEM handle. It’s super grippy without being uncomfortable, and the length doesn’t bother me like I thought it would. I tend to prefer ~85mm/3.25in handles, but I don’t even notice the Henson handle when I’m using it (maybe due to its low weight).

I really enjoy using the titanium version, but every time I do I kinda wish I were using the aluminum one - and visa versa for different reasons. I really can’t say a single negative thing about Henson.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Congratulations @Fiddler on your new Henson Titanium +++ razor, modified with the famous Timeless Crown handle. I am not surprised about your comments about smoothness, that indeed comes from the titanium material. Also, the low danger from a Henson razor, is indeed due to the low exposure and small blade gaps. The fixed razor angle, low exposure, small blade gap, are what make Henson razors ideal for cartridge razor users yes. If you want a cartridge razor to convert to traditional wet shaving, you don't pass them an Muhle R41 with a Feather blade in it! Just saying lol.

I am glad that you had a wonderful shave with your new Henson Titanium +++ razor with the Crown handle modification. I personally only own 1 titanium razor, and its my Timeless TI95 razor with the famous Crown handle. Titanium does indeed feel good on the skin, its got a soft feel to it, and its not heavy like SS or brass. But at the end of the day, when recommending a mild razor for new users to use, I'd recommend the Henson over the Timeless, simply because if your not careful with my TI95, it becomes a potato peeler real fast, and you discover you now have lost skin and weepers to contend with. LOL!

But only problem with that recommendation is, most new users are never going to put down 200 dollars for a razor, which is why most of us recommend them to buy the Merkur 34C as their starter razor. Even 70 dollars for a standard aluminum Henson AL13 is too much for most new users to buy. I was the weird newbie who started out with a Feather AS-D2 razor, I don't think I need to tell you how much that was lol. But great comments and review on your new Henson Titanium, I enjoyed the read, and the lovely picture! 😍

It's interesting to me how a tool aimed at newbies or beginners has me quite giddy and I would
not call myself a newbie by any stretch...but hey, the newbies' loss is my gain.

Jokes aside, I think the +++ was designed for a shaver who has a bit more experience with
larger gaps and such. In fact, I read that +++ is only sold in a couple of shave enthusiast online stores,
they don't stock it on their own website either.

My feelings on AL in general is that I find it too light...and I seem to remember the AL Henson makes a hell
of a loud scraping sound in a youtube video I saw....I like audio feedback but there was a bit too much
going on.

Last edited:
A great razor for sure!

The Henson Ti +++ addresses the misgivings I had about the Blackbird in SS.
(A fairer comparison would be Henson Ti +++ vs BB in Ti...but I haven't tried the latter)
Almost identical in efficiency that can be felt after post-shave face inspection.
And the essential bonus of hitherto unexperienced levels of comfort.
Seductive combination!

I don’t know if we’re doing blade recommendations, but try it with a Treet.

They’re all great, but the Treet Falcon blades have recently beat out the black beauties as my favorite blades with this razor. I can’t get them to work well in other razors, but in a Henson +++ they’re absolutely fantastic.

Everyone here should watch/listen to this:

You come out with an even greater appreciation for the titanium Henson. It was that interview that made me buy one.
Ignore the part about the RK blades since those things are absolute trash :)

The part that's interesting to me, where he starts to talk about the Ti aggressive model, starts at 24:55" mark.
Impressive detail about the tolerances and knowhow that go into it.

There's definitely something different going on when you screw the handle tight
on this razor. The final 360º turn has an almost hydraulic kind of effect that
you encounter when you tighten or loosen the razor.

Some commentators said that you can loosen the handle a 1/4 turn to get a larger
blade gap and the blade is still tightly clamped...I think the above hydraulic motion
is the reason why. Anyway, I wouldn't loosen the handle just to get a more aggressive
shave...the standard setting is fine.

It is very interesting to re-listen to Daniel talk about the Ti22 vs the Al13 at around 28 minutes and beyond. Let it be known that I have a Ti22 in addition to all three Al Hensons and he makes good sense.

Some commentators said that you can loosen the handle a 1/4 turn to get a larger
blade gap and the blade is still tightly clamped...I think the above hydraulic motion
is the reason why. Anyway, I wouldn't loosen the handle just to get a more aggressive
shave...the standard setting is fine.

While the high clamping and low blade reveal means that one could open it up a little, Henson doesn't recommend it. It still may have a more rigid blade edge than some, but it is also less predictable.

There was a bit in above video where he makes a bit of a big deal about how the handle on the Ti model has
a Tungsten insert in it...and that lost me a bit.

Are there any metal experts who know how Tungsten would aid in a handle?

I know Tungsten coatings have been used on blade edges but first time to hear
it in the context of a razor handle.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Fiddler I read what an Australian razor enthusiast named Errol wrote in an Aussie forum:

"Titanium threaded on titanium has a likelihood to gall (picking up) so to alleviate this Henson have fitted a brass centre post to the cap. Henson’s current model Ti22 claims to have a stainless steel centre post, but the original is surely brass."

Well, seems it is now tungsten. Errol's insert caused problems, but he could fix it himself.

It is about galling, i.e. the threads picking up material and usually getting a whitish coating like mold. I will quote a bit from Wikipedia:
"... a material's resistance to galling is primarily determined by its stacking-fault energy. A material with high stacking-fault energy, such as aluminium or titanium, will be far more susceptible to galling than materials with low stacking-fault energy, like copper, bronze, or gold."

Now there is this thing. Dozens of Blackbirds, Timeless, Chisrled Face, or DSCosmetic or Boti titanium head on titanium handle simply ignore this, and so far nobody complained about galling.

Maybe it takes decades to happen, if at all.

@Rosseforp knows more about this and IIRC posted already some insights about this.

Top Bottom