What's new

2015-16 English Premier League/Champion's League

I would love to see the Hammers sneak into top 4. For all of the years where the same 4 EPL teams cycled through the Champions League, if we had 3 of the 4 this year make it in based on coaching and performance rather than the size of an owner's chequebook, that would be a great thing.

Klopp has a lot of work to do with the Liverpool roster after the season. There is some real talent there, but so, so inconsistent.

$image.jpg

Her Majesty The Queen has been graciously pleased to lend Her support to Leicester's unlikely title bid.

What a decisive weekend in the PL that could prove to be. This time last year, Leicester were bottom and seven points from safety; now, they're seven points clear at the top with six games to play. Personally, I'm a nervous wreck: I could hardly watch the match today. Tottenham are still looking good and could have shaded the win at Liverpool yesterday, but the footballing gods were not with them.

That's Leicester's fifth 1-0 victory in six games, and that ability to grind out results like today's might just lead to....well, I'm not going to say it quite yet!

Credit to the Southampton fans who stayed behind after the game to clap out the Leicester fans, singing "You're Going To Win The League". That was classy.

What a decisive weekend in the PL that could prove to be. This time last year, Leicester were bottom and seven points from safety; now, they're seven points clear at the top with six games to play. Personally, I'm a nervous wreck: I could hardly watch the match today.

Same here. As my own club toils in the Championship year after year, usually when I follow the Premier League weekly, I keep one eye on Arsenal. This year, for the first time since probably the 2000 season, I am actively involved in a title race, and it's excruciating! I'm Leicester all the way. It's an odd mix of excitement and nerve-jangling.

I mean, back in February I could watch Leicester easily dispatch City and Liverpool with glee. Back in October, I could see Leicester 2-0 down against some team, and I just KNEW they'd win 3-2/ Not now. I can't even watch the matches because they aren't free-scoring anymore. They're very solid and play well...but these 1-0 results aren't easy viewing at all. I thought that after his goals in the England friendlies, Vardy found his scoring boots again, but yet another team bottled him up. I'd feel a lot better if he was a marauding threat like he was a few weeks ago.

That being said, these aren't really nervy 1-0 wins. They're solid wins. And there's nothing wrong with that. The POINT of this game is to score and not concede. So when I look at the ever-increasing number of trolls on message boards who mock the 1-0 scorline and say Leicester is the weakest title contender in years and they're going to get smoked next year in the Champions League, I really have to wonder how long these people have watched football. It seems like they're all 18-year olds who can't remember anything before Messi's Barcelona and the age of the Galactico teams. Leicester is winning games through pure teamwork. Everyone does their job, and they're fighting till the end. What else can they do? Futhermore:

1) Have people forgotten that Chelsea won the Champions League just 4 years ago using a "strong defense + swift counterattack" approach? And they did so by defeating everyone's darling Barcelona and Bayern teams, too.
2) Back in 2000/01, Leeds United took Europe by storm, going all the way to the UCL semifinals, back when the tournament had 2 group stages and was harder to win. And they played with the same sort of flair and style and teamwork that Leicester are displaying now.
3) Sir Alex Ferguson, winner of 13 PL titles, didn't care if his Man Utd teams ground out results 1-0. They won that way several times back in the 90's. Plus, Arsenal used to do the same thing.
4) And perhaps most importantly, they mentioned in the US coverage for today's game that if you take all the games played since the final run-in from last season till now, no one in the league has accrued more points than Leicester City. By a country mile, something like 20 points ahead of the nearest team. So why on earth are some people saying that Leicester aren't worthy leaders?

Two or three additions to the current squad in the offseason (assuming they can keep ahold of Mahrez and Kante) would make Leicester a VERY interesting prospect in the Champion's League next year, too. This is not a weak team.

Regarding the match today, Southampton could've maybe gotten a draw out of it but Leicester were always in control. The two penalty shouts...well, the Simpson one is never going to be a penalty. That's as clear a case of "ball to arm" as you'll ever see. And just where is he supposed to place his arm as he's running in 2 milliseconds to avoid being hit? Koeman was talking nonsense when he said "Penalty and red card." Uh, no. Sorry. The Huth one...I had to watch it a few times, but while it's another close call, I think Southampton easily could've gotten a penalty out of that one. I've seen some referees give it for less. But you still need multiple replays to be sure and even then, you can't prove intent.

So luck, getting the calls (another Fergie's Utd title trademark), and playing with defensive resilience and teamwork...with 6 games left and a 7-point cushion, this could happen. Actually, it NEEDS to happen. Football needs this. Fans of smaller teams everywhere would be given new lease to dream if this happens. Leicester just need to keep their heads down and keep focused on getting 12 more points. And that's assuming that Spurs and Arsenal are perfect, which they very likely won't be.

Spurs are still a threat because there are still 4 potentially-dangerous games for Leicester out of 6. Part of me wishes I could go in a cave until mid-May because even though Leicester are playing like champion's, it'll still be excruciating!

Another win for Leicester today. 9 more points to be mathematically guaranteed the title. Spurs capitalized on Man Utd's Jekyll-and-Hyde syndrome (seriously, can't depend on Man Utd for anything! :laugh:), but they still have 7 points to make up with 5 games to play. They need Leicester to drop points, and that's just not happening at the moment. But it may happen against West Ham next week. Not an easy game for the Foxes, whereas Spurs play Stoke, another team where you don't know which side will turn up any given week.

You have to love the scenes following the Leicester-Sunderland game, though. Tears in Ranieri's eyes, tears in the eyes of the traveling fans, Sunderland fans cheering Leicester even though their team is facing a tough relegation scrap. It touches the emotions, but the pragmatic part of me wishes all this could wait until the last 2-3 games when victory is more assured.

West Ham blitzed Arsenal in a thrilling 3-3 draw. Loved that game, but even though he got a hat trick, I have never and WILL NEVER rate Andy Carroll. He's a misfit. The classic example of an English player with potential that ends up completely wasting it. I still remember when he got a few goals in some international games a few years back, which the English press quickly sensationalized, and instantly crowned him a "world class" player. What's he done since?

Arsenal and City seem to have found their playing boots again now that they have virtually no chance of winning the title. I understand the frustration of Arsenal fans over Wenger, but all they have to do is look at Man Utd as a warning of "be careful what you wish for." Wenger has given this club 20 years of absolute, rock-solid stability. They need a PROVEN WINNING MANAGER to come in immediately to replace him, or else they'll end up just like Man Utd. And who is really available right now?

Good week for Liverpool. Went to Dortmund and got an away goal, and then blew Stoke away. Funny how earlier in the season, the pundits were talking up Stoke as a team to be feared. Now you never know what you're going to get with them. Which is why I'm not holding out any hope of them doing Leicester a favor and beating Spurs next week.

Aston Villa are doomed, and it's a shame. But will BOTH Northeast clubs join them. The pundits constantly talk about how the League wouldn't be the same without northeast football, but I remember the same talk about Yorkshire football when Leeds, Bradford, and Hull were relegated. The League will survive. Newcastle and Sunderland only have themselves to blame if they go down, anyway. ESPECIALLY Newcastle.

Don't worry, there will be some decent football shown on TV from the northeast next season as it looks likely that Middlesbrough will get promoted.

The Foxes where very lucky to get something out of West Ham yesterday, never in a million Saturdays was that a penalty in the 94th minute. Seems like a ref who didn't want to be criticized of ruining their season to me.

Don't worry, there will be some decent football shown on TV from the northeast next season as it looks likely that Middlesbrough will get promoted.

The Foxes where very lucky to get something out of West Ham yesterday, never in a million Saturdays was that a penalty in the 94th minute. Seems like a ref who didn't want to be criticized of ruining their season to me.

The referee was inept, but he wasn't biased. I think fans and players can accept a ref who takes a particular attitude, but not one who's inconsistent. Shlupp's was never a penalty, but the foul on Huth a few moments before was nailed-on, and the referee had a first-class view of it. Huth could have given away at least one penalty, but Vardy could have had one very early in the game. Why give some and not others?

Leicester were naïve: Vardy taking a dive when already on an (undeserved) yellow card was stupid, and he may pay dearly for his verbals afterwards. And for Morgan to foul Reid a few minutes after he and Huth had been called out by the referee for pushing was equally crass.

So it felt very much like a point gained in the end, but the referee did his best to ruin it as a game of football.

Incidentally, Nugent and de Laet are guaranteed a very affectionate welcome at the KP stadium next year if Boro' make it!

With Vardy out at least one match, possibly two, and Spurs with a dominant win at Stoke today....things are getting interesting.

The referee was inept, but he wasn't biased. I think fans and players can accept a ref who takes a particular attitude, but not one who's inconsistent. Shlupp's was never a penalty, but the foul on Huth a few moments before was nailed-on, and the referee had a first-class view of it. Huth could have given away at least one penalty, but Vardy could have had one very early in the game. Why give some and not others?

Leicester were naïve: Vardy taking a dive when already on an (undeserved) yellow card was stupid, and he may pay dearly for his verbals afterwards. And for Morgan to foul Reid a few minutes after he and Huth had been called out by the referee for pushing was equally crass.

So it felt very much like a point gained in the end, but the referee did his best to ruin it as a game of football.

Incidentally, Nugent and de Laet are guaranteed a very affectionate welcome at the KP stadium next year if Boro' make it!

I met Morgan a couple times when he was at Forest, obviously he is not a rocket scientist but it is never a question of effort and commitment for him when he is on the pitch, he gives his all which means he gives away silly penalties sometimes.

Someone like that is what England are crying out for at the back currently, but of course the powers that be in the FA would never dream of taking more than 1 or 2 players from "provincial" clubs to an international tournament. Vardy, Drinkwater, and Morgan should all be going to the Euros this summer.

I really hope the Foxes can hold on and win it this year (there is no rivalry from Forest fans btw even though Leicester fans seem to think there is, I would think Coventry would be their main rivals). I used to enjoy going to Fillbert St, but don't care much for the Walkers Stadium as it doesn't have the same feel to it, but maybe it will soon with a bit of history associated with it after they win the league this year.

What does bother me a bit is people saying their achievement would be greater than Brian Clough's Forest and that Ranieri should be knighted (seriously?).

Just to put that into perspective for those who don't know: In order to be even talked about in the same breath as Clough's team, Leicester would be winning the league last season after being promoted the season before while also winning the league cup along the way.

Then this season would be winning the champion's league while beating the reining champions in the first knockout stage, along with the league cup again and the charity shield, and then winning the champion's league again next season along with the uefa super cup.

I'm all for the excitement of seeing Leicester do it, but some pundits are getting carried away.

The only disagreement I would have is that, if the ref is going to call Morgan for that penalty, then he should have been at BOTH sides about the wrestling in the box from the off. I think we can both agree that worse had happened previously than what Morgan was whistled for, by both sides. you are right, it is the inconsistency of decision-making which frustrates players and fans alike.

As for Vardy's "dive", I would agree with calling it a dive if refs could be counted on to call the foul (and award the PK) for the arm drag that the defender engaged in prior to Vardy initiating contact and going down. Grabbing a player by the arm to impeded his progress is a foul, regardless of whether he goes down. Doing so in the area is a penalty, but is (almost) never called without a player going to ground. So call the Laws as written.

I would say that if Leicester win it (and this weekend's game against Swansea is a make-or-break game), it would at least be equal to what Forest achieved. I know Forest fans will disagree all day, and cite their two European Cups, but the sport was different back then. You cannot compare 40 years ago to now. You just can't. It was a lot more competitive back then. I wouldn't say that Leicester winning would be the "biggest story in football history, ever" (as Robbie Mustoe said on NBC coverage back in February), but it would be a huge deal. That I'm seeing ANY kind of pushback, as what's being said on comment sections these days, is stunning to me.

The West Ham game was lucky, sure. Jon Moss did a makeup call, simple as that. But it all evens out. Huth should've had a penalty in this game, just as he should've had a few weeks back when his SHIRT WAS PULLED OFF HIS BACK, but the referee gave nothing. Handballs go for, and against, teams all the time. How lucky were Arsenal of 03-04 in several games? How many times did Fergie's United get 5 or 6 minutes of stoppage time out of nowhere to score a goal? This stuff happens all the time.

Vardy's red card will absolutely cost them, and he was an idiot to dive like that. Even if he doesn't score, his very presence on the pitch puts defenders in knots. Ulljoa just doesn't offer the same thing. Leicester NEED to win against Swansea, because West Brom aren't going to do them any favors against Spurs. Spurs will win that game. If Leicester draw or lose, I fear the fairytale is over.

If they win, then Spurs are probably going to drop points against Chelsea, and Leicester can afford to drop points at Man Utd. Chelsea will be up for that game, and I have a feeling Pochettino will be punching the ground again after it.

I'm a big Napoli fan in Serie A in Italy. I thought that this may be their year to finally win the scudetta after so long. Alas, Juventus being Juventus would have none of that. Oh well, maybe next year. (Spoken like a true Mets fan).

I'm a big Napoli fan in Serie A in Italy. I thought that this may be their year to finally win the scudetta after so long. Alas, Juventus being Juventus would have none of that. Oh well, maybe next year. (Spoken like a true Mets fan).

I know, I thought Napoli had a great shot at it this season. I don't like seeing Juventus winning as they have been caught cheating so many times in the past.

Unfortunately for Napoli, it sure looks like Higuain will be on his way out during the summer for a massive fee. Hopefully for the Gli Azzurri they will re-invest that money back into the playing squad.

I would say that if Leicester win it (and this weekend's game against Swansea is a make-or-break game), it would at least be equal to what Forest achieved. I know Forest fans will disagree all day, and cite their two European Cups, but the sport was different back then. You cannot compare 40 years ago to now. You just can't. It was a lot more competitive back then. I wouldn't say that Leicester winning would be the "biggest story in football history, ever" (as Robbie Mustoe said on NBC coverage back in February), but it would be a huge deal. That I'm seeing ANY kind of pushback, as what's being said on comment sections these days, is stunning to me.

The West Ham game was lucky, sure. Jon Moss did a makeup call, simple as that. But it all evens out. Huth should've had a penalty in this game, just as he should've had a few weeks back when his SHIRT WAS PULLED OFF HIS BACK, but the referee gave nothing. Handballs go for, and against, teams all the time. How lucky were Arsenal of 03-04 in several games? How many times did Fergie's United get 5 or 6 minutes of stoppage time out of nowhere to score a goal? This stuff happens all the time.

Vardy's red card will absolutely cost them, and he was an idiot to dive like that. Even if he doesn't score, his very presence on the pitch puts defenders in knots. Ulljoa just doesn't offer the same thing. Leicester NEED to win against Swansea, because West Brom aren't going to do them any favors against Spurs. Spurs will win that game. If Leicester draw or lose, I fear the fairytale is over.

If they win, then Spurs are probably going to drop points against Chelsea, and Leicester can afford to drop points at Man Utd. Chelsea will be up for that game, and I have a feeling Pochettino will be punching the ground again after it.

Yeah, I'm going to contest that. When the Foxes win the league, 3 European trophies, 3 domestic trophies, in 3 seasons all while competing against the best team in the world on all those fronts (Liverpool was dominant back then), well then we can have a discussion about it.

A very positive note has occurred partly due to the Foxes run this season, and partly due to the I Believe In Miracles film; Clough's team are finally going to be given a spot in the hall of fame for their accomplishments. There were teams already in there who had accomplished much less.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...am-forest-european-cup-hall-fame-brian-clough

You shouldn't count the European Cups in a comparison, because Leicester isn't in the Champions League yet. Just go on League performance right now.

Here we go...down to the final 3 games. Spurs to play tomorrow, and should easily win against West Brom. I'd be really surprised if they drew or lost. West Brom can frustrate teams but don't have many weapons. Then it's the final stretch.

Harry Kane posting pictures of lions "hunting" on Instagram? Leicester doesn't care. No Vardy, no problem. 4-0 against Swansea today, and it was an absolute stroll. If I were Pochettino (and I imagine he's already said this to the players), I'd tell them to cut out the banter and keep focused. They might believe they've been the best team in England this year, and some vocal Spurs fans I've seen online obviously believe it, but they haven't looked at (or are completely ignoring) the form table over the last year. They're behind...and behind a team that refuses to lose and do them any favors. They've got work to do. This isn't the 1996 season where Newcastle blew up and let a 12-point lead slip. Leicester is going to fight all the way to the end.

The next 3 weeks will be extremely interesting.

I think the top 4 is sewn up. This season has to be disappointing for Arsenal. They'll get the Champion's League again, but this year should've been them strolling to the title. I know it's frustrating for Arsenal fans, but it could be much worse. To those who want "Wenger out," I see their point, but look at Man Utd after Fergie. Arsenal has to wait until a top quality coach becomes available to fill the power vacuum that Wenger leaves, or it all could unravel. I don't think they'd drop down the table like a stone, but Man Utd should be a cautionary tale for them.

If the title race doesn't go down to the final day, the relegation fight will be riveting to watch. It could literally go anywhere, they're so close at the bottom, and so far away from Crystal Palace in the safety zone.

You shouldn't count the European Cups in a comparison, because Leicester isn't in the Champions League yet. Just go on League performance right now.

That would easily make Forest the better team, in their first season in the top flight after promotion they won the league, not floundering around flirting with relegation. They also won the League Cup in their first season after promotion. Forest also went on a 42 match unbeaten run.

Believe me, I'm not putting down Leicester by any means. I really want them to see out their fantastic season, and I love how they have used so few players.

But anyone can see Forest's achievement was greater on all fronts. Now if Leicester go on to dominate Europe (even though that is much easier now as it's should be called "the top 4 teams from each country play a round robin league" instead of the wonderful knockout champion's competition it used to be) and throw in a few domestic cup wins as well over the next 2 seasons we could reconsider.

I remember watching Ulloa play a couple times for Almeria in the Spanish league cup, and thinking what a classy player he was, especially for a bigger forward he had a very delicate touch on him. Then I was shocked when Brighton bought him, I thought for sure a larger club in Spain or Germany would have snatched him.

I watched him play many times for Brighton, he could dominate a game for them, and he did do a couple times against my Forest side.

When Leicester purchased him for 8 million pounds, I was probably one of the only people who thought it was a deal, and to be honest I was starting to 2nd guess my judgement until the last couple weeks. I would say he has paid back that transfer fee in the last 2 games alone, his performance could be the final finishing nail in Leicester's season.

It must be great to be a Foxes supporter right now, probably the best they've had it since Martin O'Neil was there!

As a neutral, I hope Spurs win tomorrow night to keep the season interesting. The problem with Spurs is they always talk a big game and never back it up on the pitch.

As for the Gunners, well Wenger has to be admired, not only for his past achievements and the style of play he insisted on, but also his restraint not panicking and spending loads of money as many managers do (Villa-Boas Redknapp, Ramos, Rogers, Pardew, Van Gaal, Hughes at Man City and every Manager there since). I would say his greatest accomplishment is the 49 match top flight unbeaten run, that was a record I was sure would have never been topped, but Wenger's lads did it with style.

That being said, I do agree his time is probably up. Well done Arsenal for sticking by him, but if the right man can be found to replace him then it is probably time for Wenger to retire.

Top Bottom