What's new

2015-16 English Premier League/Champion's League

Great season by The Foxes, and embarrassed by my Spurs. Nuff said. On to MLS!

You shouldn't really be embarrassed by your Spurs. True, they let themselves down badly in the last minutes of the Battle of the Bridge, and they will pay for that. But they have been a revelation all season; and if it hadn't been for the most unlikely of stories with Leicester winning the Premiership, they would have received more media coverage and recognition than they did.

Spurs have the nucleus of a Premiership-winning side, not least in terms of youth, and if they can hold on to key players and come back stronger from what must be a major disappointment for them, they should be contenders next season as well.

They gave us a good run for our money, and I'll admit that I had a horrible feeling they would pip us to the title on the last day. This year was our year, our destiny; but I would seriously fancy Spurs to be in the hunt next season.

The best footballing sides I have ever seen used very few players during their seasons. <snip> I'm a bit surprised due to Ranieri's previous displays of chopping and mixing it up at other clubs (which has definitely cost him jobs in the past), that the Foxes used what seemed like fewer players in the season than most other squads. I'd love to see statistics on how many players were used during the fantastic season they just had.

The great thing for Leicester supporters (and believe me this is something I know about being a Forest fan), your club won the league! That will never be taken away from the club or the fans no matter what happens in the future. Even if 20 years from now they are playing in League 2 and opposition fans are singing "you're not famous anymore", you will always have won the top flight and not all that many clubs can say that.

Well done to the Foxes.

23 players, the fewest in the league.

You're absolutely right about no-one ever being able to take this away. Whatever happens, we will always have at least one star above the club crest, and that will mean something special to me until my dying day.

And thank you for your comments - from a Forest fan, that's very gracious of you!

Liverpool through to the Europa Leauge final in Basel, Switzerland. The Reds take on Sevilla.

Today Liverpool dispatched Villareal 3-0 (3-1 agg) at Anfield. A yellow submarine OG, and then goals by Daniel Sturridge and Adam Lallana sealed the semi-final for Liverpool.

YNWA

Deadspin had a great profile of Liverpool and Klopp the other day. They will be a very interesting team to watch, and I'm really curious to see what acquisitions they make during the next transfer window.

Well, I have to say that Leicester has set the bar really, really high for title celebrations. NBC didn't show much of it pregame, but I'm going back and watching clips of the Sky coverage. This is part of the reason why it was great for them to win it with time to spare, so they could plan a whole program of stuff around it. And boy did they! Andrea Bocelli, free pizza and beer, fans partying inside and outside the stadium...wow.

Great to see Big Wes lift that trophy! He's been overlooked and underappreciated his whole career, well nobody can do that to him now.

I remember many years ago, Michael Dawson being selected for the England U-21 squad, he said in an interview that Morgan should be there with him. I couldn't figure it out either as watching them come up through the youth teams together, they were equally talented.

Sadly, I bet even after captaining his club to the title, Morgan will still be overlooked at the national level. England could really use his strength and passion in defense.

The majority of the England squad for the Euros needs to be made up of Leicester and Spurs players. If Hodgson has any sense, that would be the case. But I fear that player loyalty will get the best of him again.

This weekend was huge for the top 4 and the relegation places. I was stunned that Newcastle only managed a draw at Villa. Sunderland won and has an extra game to play. Squeaky bum time at the bottom.

Meanwhile, Man Utd could sneak into the Top 4 because City and Arsenal drew. Spurs continued their implosion and Pochettino continued to act like a child who didn't get his way, but I think they'll hang onto that 2nd spot. They'll finish above Arsenal and make their fans happy. A year of North London bragging rights for the first time in forever seems decent consolation.

It has been a pleasure discussing football with you gents this season, thank you very much for all the opinions and banter.

I'm going to say this, if England line up with Delph and Carrick in the center of the pitch at the Euros, I will turn off my TV and not watch another match in the tournament. Barkley, Alli and Dier need to play and provide that youthful energy through the middle that England has lacked for SO long after suffering through the Lampard/Gerrard era.

Bit of a sad day today as West Ham United play their last fixture at Boleyn Ground. For those who don't know, they started playing there in 1904 (if I remember correctly) and are moving next season to the modern and bigger Olympic Stadium.

I know many season ticket holders are already complaining about how far the stands are from the pitch. In some front row seats at the new stadium, they would actually be outside on the road at the old stadium, that's how far away the stands are.

Again for those who don't know, years ago West Ham famously had a stand that was so close to the pitch it was rumored that people could reach out and touch a player as he ran down the line, and was covered with what looked like chicken wire, that's where the name "chicken run" for the stand came from. I never got to see it as they tore it down in the late 60's.

A lot of memorable players graced Upton Park, it'll be sad to see her go.

Unfortunately, it seems that supporters are acting like t*ts today, causing damage and violence before the match.......

Yeah really disappointing to see the Utd coach get attacked, not the best way to spend the last few hours at the Boleyn:mad3:
On a more positive note, it was a great match and although I only watched it on tv it looked like a great atmosphere, pretty much written in the stars that they would get the win today:001_smile

There was a really nice profile on the Guardian's YouTube channel of the area around the stadium and the businesses that have been part of West Ham fan culture for years. It is really sad that those local businesspeople have to suffer with the club moving. I understand that the owners want to be like the big European clubs and moving to the Olympic Stadium will provide a foundation for that, but they're losing part of their heritage in the process.

I couldn't believe the ugly scenes today with the Utd coach. What the heck were they thinking?

St. Totteringham's Day! Oh god, that was hilarious to watch. For most of the last two months, Spurs fans have been talking about how they're the best team in the league. Some of them are STILL saying it in comments sections, like over at The Guardian. One even rationalized it by saying that because Spurs' record was 1-1-1 against Leicester this year, and since they finished with a modestly superior goal difference, that means they were the best team in England.

Yet they finished 11 points behind Leicester, and managed to SOMEHOW finish behind Arsenal. Again. And they lose 5-1 against an already relegated team playing with 10 men. And despite this being their purported "best season", they didn't equal or surpass their record points total.

...Wow. :lol: Best team indeed.

But the game also makes one wonder why Newcastle did not show the same kind of drive and determination earlier in the season. If they had, perhaps they wouldn't have gone down.

And the bizarre scenario at Old Trafford...whatever one thinks about a dummy fake bomb used for training purposes being left behind, I'd like to applaud the "safety first" approach. There are some silly conspiracy theories floating around, as well as some funny banter about how hapless Man Utd have been with match delays over the last month, but all in all, a potentially scary situation was averted.

I must admit to a bit of Schadenfreude at the fact that Spurs managed to implode and finished behind Arsenal again - that will hurt as much as losing out to Leicester for the title. Essentially, Spurs managed to come third in a two-horse race. But they are not far off the finished article and I would expect them to be strong challengers next season with their young and talented squad.

To see my team Leicester and Claudio Ranieri get a Guard of Honour at Chelsea brought a tear to my eye. Ranieri is held in great affection there following his brutal dismissal as their manager by owner Roman Abramovich, so it must have been very satisfying to return as the manager of a Premiership-winning side, something Abramovic said he couldn't achieve.

And so ends the greatest season in my club's history, a season sprinkled with stardust that I still cannot quite believe. Whatever happens next season, nothing will ever compare to 2015-16.

That was a crazy (almost) final day. I hope for ManU's sake that it doesn't hinder their prep for the FA Cup final on Saturday. I give Chelsea a lot of credit for giving Leicester their do, and can't help but wonder if it would have happened were José still in charge. I have thoroughly enjoyed this season, and now have to figure out what I'm going to do first thing Saturday morning for the next 2 and a half months.

Every season, no matter what teams are participating, the football league playoffs usually provide the most exciting football of the year.

No exception this season, if anyone is watching Brighton v Wednesday they will surely agree! Great stuff so far!

Rightly, the Foxes triumph is the story of the season, and I'm very happy for them. However, if they had not managed it I think English football would be talking about little Burton Albion winning automatic promotion to the Championship. Well done to Clough, Rowett and Jimmy Floyd and of course the Brewer's chairmen Ben Robinson. It's incredible that the little club has progressed so high up the league. I think their record transfer is 20,000 British Pounds paid for a player! There are a lot of players in the Championship who get paid that per week!

Top Bottom