What's new

New Boker Razor quality, as good as the old ones???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that they are relatively expensive but the price does not mean that they are a good product. Older Bokers were one of the best shavers going and if they were of the same quality they might warrant the price. $250 is not out of this world for an upper performing razor.

Take Care,
R

Everyone goes nuts when you bring up Damascus and how great they are but it is really so much hype. If you are going to have a custom made and looks are a key feature then by all means. To get a Damascus for just the sake of having a Damascus is little silly to me, but that is just me! I was wondering about the one next to it.

Take Care,
R

I have no doubt that Damascus steel should be expensive just from the standpoint of the amount of work that it takes to make one. Folded steel is labor intensive and the price is probably justified but I am looking for another higher end razor. When I bought the B&B Le Grelot I found out what really good shaving razor was supposed to be but would like the same quality shave with a slightly different configuration. I like French points, or a variation, like the Irish point.

Thanks for the link guys,
Richard

How is that supposed to look?

Like this. I know there are variations of French points and some I have see really stick out there. The Boker in the link is a gentle French point and I would not really not think of it as a true French point.

Thanks for the link, I knew it was to good to be true!:frown: It may be that in a couple of years when they do figure it out they will get serious about upholding the Boker name.

Thanks again,
Richard

Personally I think they are a very bad deal. There is a question as to whether they are entirely made by Boker or whether Wacker is doing most of it. Also for that much money you are in custom territory. lastly, I don't think any current production razors are near as good as the older ones.

Think of it this way. Boker stopped making razors a long time ago. Where did they get all these highly experienced razor makers?

Personally I think they are a very bad deal. There is a question as to whether they are entirely made by Boker or whether Wacker is doing most of it. Also for that much money you are in custom territory. lastly, I don't think any current production razors are near as good as the older ones.

Think of it this way. Boker stopped making razors a long time ago. Where did they get all these highly experienced razor makers?

I gather you don't think he should be allowed to work for Boker. He made Puma razors for years they must be bad too.

Think of it THIS way: They use the same steel in the same forge dies and they are ground by the last of the old masters. There is only a couple left but they are becoming busier by the day. Heribert Wacker retired from Dovo where he made Puma razors after Puma stopped making them. Since he made Puma razors for Puma and made Puma razors for Dovo contracts with Puma - Heribert Wacker and now the Boker razors he makes can't possibly be any good. I bet you never thought that since demand is up a few of them might come out of retirement and meet the new demand - so a few of them are coming out of retirement because demand is up. Nope - they can't possibly be as good as the ones they made when they were younger.

I gather you don't think he should be allowed to work for Boker. He made Puma razors for years they must be bad too.

Think of it THIS way: They use the same steel in the same forge dies and they are ground by the last of the old masters. There is only a couple left but they are becoming busier by the day. Heribert Wacker retired from Dovo where he made Puma razors after Puma stopped making them. Since he made Puma razors for Puma and made Puma razors for Dovo contracts with Puma - Heribert Wacker and now the Boker razors he makes can't possibly be any good. I bet you never thought that since demand is up a few of them might come out of retirement and meet the new demand - so a few of them are coming out of retirement because demand is up. Nope - they can't possibly be as good as the ones they made when they were younger.

John, I'm not sure what is motivating your posts, but I think its only fair that you tell people that you are a vendor of Wacker razors before making posts attesting to Wacker's skill/the quality of his razors.

If Wacker's razors are great, folks will say so - making nasty, sarcastic comments neither improves the quality of the razors in question, nor reflects well on you or your business.

Please refrain from promoting items you sell outside of the Shopping forum.

Thank you.

John, you made me wonder why you sell such an extensive range of Wacker razors if you really believe that he makes poor quality razors for Boeker. Why on earth would Herr Wacker make good razors with his own name, Dorko and a few others on the tang and make poor quality razors for Boeker?

My feeling is he either makes crap razors (in which case you aren't doing yourself any favours selling them) or he makes good razors in which case I wonder why you slate the razors he makes for Boeker.

Last edited:
Ok I'll say it again.

Modern production razors whether they are Dovo or a or a TI are simply not of the same quality as their vintage offerings. I have many and the differences are not subtle.

I didn't say Wacker doesn't make good blades or that when he worked for other companies there were any issues. What I did say is if you are going to spend the big bucks for a Boker are you getting a Boker or a wacker? I think you can get a Wacker for far less money. Also as far as guys coming out of retirement to make razors, realize these guys have to be in their 70s or 80s now. I don't think many will be looking to do this work at that age. Wacker is a real exception.

And as to the price why would you buy a Boker when you can get an Ellis or a Livi or a Williams or one of many other custom razors at some of these price points?

The real specific issue here is no different than with many other products where a legendary company reissues a product and charges outrageous prices for products that don't hold a candle to their former products using their name as leverage to extract money from people. You see this a lot in the watch sales arena. Also as I recall most of Boker's lower priced offerings in the knife area are imported from Asia. No I'm not saying or implying in any way their razors are asian.

For that amount of coin, you could get a bespoke custom, made to your measurements. Or you should anyway.

For the record though, I have a Wacker which is a very nice, comfortable shaver.

John, I'm not sure what is motivating your posts, but I think its only fair that you tell people that you are a vendor of Wacker razors before making posts attesting to Wacker's skill/the quality of his razors.

If Wacker's razors are great, folks will say so - making nasty, sarcastic comments neither improves the quality of the razors in question, nor reflects well on you or your business.

Please refrain from promoting items you sell outside of the Shopping forum.

Thank you.

Yes, I sell Wacker razors. So what! I am just posting my opinion just like everyone else. Someone else's opinion seems good enough when tearing them down - what is wrong with my opinion when defending them? The information I posted was either factual or a facetious attempt at humor based on what the post I responded to was about. Not every post, (as a matter of fact not many posts on any of the forums), can be taken as gospel due to politics and alterior motivies. I don't deny I sell Wacker razors - I am prowd of it! I didn't hawk anything! I stated simple fact or a facetious response to BS.

Main Entry: fa·ce·tious
Pronunciation: \fə-ˈsē-shəs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French facetieux, from facetie jest, from Latin facetia
Date: 1599
1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish <just being facetious>
2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>
synonyms see witty
&#8212; fa&#183;ce&#183;tious&#183;ly adverb
&#8212; fa&#183;ce&#183;tious&#183;ness noun

John Crowley

Last edited: