What's new

Heirloom quality razors. Some thoughts.

I’ve been (over)thinking a lot lately about heirloom quality (stainless) safety razors. Do I want one? Do I really need one? Will the next generation even want “dad’s old razor”? And if not, will it end up in the second-hand shop for the next guy to pick up for little money? Or worse, will it simply end in a landfill?

My conclusion is that I don’t want a heirloom quality razor. I returned the Rockwell I recently bought. The semi-disposable (mostly) zamak razors I currently own, do just fine. They’ve been doing fine for years in fact. And if one breaks or I happen to cross-thread one on a busy morning, I simply buy a new one. No crying. It also frees the next generation of the burden of having to care for my old stuff because “dad paid good money for it back in the day”.

Now don’t get me wrong, many of those ‘heirloom quality’ razors like a Rex are very nice indeed. And I don’t judge anyone who buys them. Do what makes you happy, YMMV and all. But for me and my life, they’re not meant.

Just some thoughts.

I don’t really think of any razor as heirloom quality, but perhaps a really nice and collectable straight razor might qualify for those who are into such things.

I buy razors for my own use and I don’t give any consideration to things like collecting, selling, or passing on to a future generation. I actually don’t think any of the high price safety razors will have any additional collectable value. I buy razors only because I think they will give me an excellent shave and some pleasure in use, and then I use them. I’d like my wife to get some money back selling them after I die, but that’s all.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don’t really think of any razor as heirloom quality, but perhaps a really nice and collectable straight razor might qualify for those who are into such things.

I buy razors for my own use and I don’t give any consideration to things like collecting, selling, or passing on to a future generation. I actually don’t think any of the high price safety razors will have any additional collectable value. I buy razors only because I think they will give me an excellent shave and some pleasure in use, and then I use them. I’d like my wife to get some money back selling them after I die, but that’s all.
I am in the same camp. I'm not a "collector," but if I find something I think will work better than what I have I make a purchase - which has resulted in a small pile of stuff one might call my collection.

Nothing is too good for me, so I like top shelf stuff. But I don't have the money (or the wife) to do this with everything. I own no 4 figure suits and generally buy way too much middle of the road stuff to suit my philosophy, but I get by surprisingly well. But my shaving and musical instruments are places where I dig deep into the wallet - just because that's the way I like it. I am 100 percent fine with anyone who decides that anything over $xxx.xx is crazy. Heck, I've got friends who use Arko! :barbershop_quartet_

Do what brings you joy and enjoy everything. Nobody gets out of this world alive.

I worry about production stopping in my favorite models at some point in the future. I find a razor I love and then buy two of them just in case, heirloom quality razors included.

I don't plan to have kids so I've got no idea where all my spares will end up. I'm sure at some point in the next 60 years for some or other razor I'll be glad I have a spare.

Only time will tell.

I’ve been (over)thinking a lot lately about heirloom quality (stainless) safety razors. Do I want one? Do I really need one? Will the next generation even want “dad’s old razor”? And if not, will it end up in the second-hand shop for the next guy to pick up for little money? Or worse, will it simply end in a landfill?

My conclusion is that I don’t want a heirloom quality razor. I returned the Rockwell I recently bought. The semi-disposable (mostly) zamak razors I currently own, do just fine. They’ve been doing fine for years in fact. And if one breaks or I happen to cross-thread one on a busy morning, I simply buy a new one. No crying. It also frees the next generation of the burden of having to care for my old stuff because “dad paid good money for it back in the day”.

Now don’t get me wrong, many of those ‘heirloom quality’ razors like a Rex are very nice indeed. And I don’t judge anyone who buys them. Do what makes you happy, YMMV and all. But for me and my life, they’re not meant.

Just some thoughts.
Ok

Given that you can still find excellent usable brass razors from the 1920s-30s -as is and fully refurbished- today, why shouldn’t current highend pieces be the trophies of tomorrow’s collectors? Anything with a proven provenance, paperwork, packaging and in good shape can be a collectible.

Would I buy only to squirrel it away for gain? No, certainly not but using a piece and keeping all the the stuff that came with it why not. If it stays in the family great, if not just make it clear that it is a collectible piece that has a certain market value.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have two identical razors I selected to pass down to our sons.. to remember their Dad's ummmm enjoyment of shaving. I bought a second Athena for that reason. The boxes in which they come are, along with the beautiful design, makes them perfect pass down razors. The rest of my razors will probably end up being sold. I have the prices, etc., on my cell phone so they have a general idea what they wre worth, or at least, what I paid for them. My wife knows where to sell them, should I end up getting to my expiration date.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Sadly I do not own a razor that was used by my Father but if I did then the only thing that would make it 'heirloom quality' would be the fact that he had used it himself. Had he purchased a fancy razor and set it aside unused, to give to me in later years, then I would not treasure it anything like as much as a well worn razor he had used himself. For me, doing such a thing shows a complete misunderstanding of what makes something truly valuable. Given the financial position of my Father it is likely it he would have used a very modest razor indeed but I would gladly trade it for any razor I own and a lot more besides.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sadly I do not own a razor that was used by my Father but if I did then the only thing that would make it 'heirloom quality' would be the fact that he had used it himself. Had he purchased a fancy razor and set it aside unused, to give to me in later years, then I would not treasure it anything like as much as a well worn razor he had used himself. For me, doing such a thing shows a complete misunderstanding of what makes something truly valuable. Given the financial position of my Father it is likely it he would have used a very modest razor indeed but I would gladly trade it for any razor I own and a lot more besides.
My Dad used electric razors. When he passed away, he left 15 or more of them behind. I started out using electrics because that's what he used. I always disliked shaving with an electric but I used to get a new one for Christmas from the age of 14 to 18, when I left home. I didn't ask for any of the 15 electrics he left behind.

I do have my grandfather's straight razor. I do treasure that.. and it might be something one our sons wants when I'm no longer around. Who knows? It isn't a fancy one but he did use it when he was a barber on the USS Missouri in WWI.

Heirloom quality is what before we can comment we must define .
Basically any new safety razor that can be bought new online or a in shop that was made to last and could be handed to a next generation. Mostly SS and brass razors I think.

I have 8 razors I really enjoy using. As to what happens to them after I check out...I don't know or worry about. My wife can sell them, gift them, what ever she wants. That's assuming I go first and after reflecting on my actions, habits etc up to this point, I'd say it's a given she gets my stuff.

I suggest teaching him how to use a safety razor. Passed down ideas, skill and knowledge might top physical items.
Exactly this. It is important that the new generation understands why and how to use them. Almost nobody I know in my age group knows how to use a DE or a straight razor.

I was a Mach 3 fan when I started shaving, my father is a DE guy. One day, we had a discussion on why he does not use “the new stuff” and he explained me. Then I gave it a try and I realized why DEs are superior to a cartridge.

I enjoy my SS razor on a daily basis!! Good enough for me (and I will let the heirs worry about to do with it.)

:popc::popc:
This. I spend way more on old shotguns, old winchesters, old colts, and 1911s then on razors. My cheapest 1911 cost more than my BBS1. Just like my razors my pewpews are for my enjoyment. I share the enjoyment of old guns with my kids, but if they decide to sell them when I am gone, oh well they can enjoy the moolah.

I consider all of my razors to be "heirloom quality", as all 5 of them are of the machined stainless steel variety. That's not why I bought them, though. Nor is it why I keep them. For me, they simply shave better than any vintage I've tried (and I tried most Gillette models).

I do, however, recognize that at least two of my stainless razors currently carry some decent collector value (Tradere OC first gen and Tradere SB), and if RazoRock happens to stop producing razors, my others will also become collectible. With that in mind, I simply added a section to my will about which razors I currently have and what they are currently worth and where my next of kin should go to have them properly valued if my son decides he doesn't want to keep them. Just as I've done with all my collectible items.

I'm not overly concerned about whether my son cherishes my razors when I'm gone, but I do want to make sure he at least gets proper value for them.

I have nobody to pass my razors onto, so I don't worry about that aspect.
I like value. I think $62.00 for a stainless steel Game Changer is an outstanding value. Paying $350-$500 for one doesn't interest me.
Most of my modern razors are ZAMAK but I have four vintage brass/nickel plated Gillettes. I didn't pay an arm and a leg for any of them. Unless I do something stupid, I think all of my razors should last a good long time, probably well after I'm gone.

Top Bottom