What's new

Heirloom quality razors. Some thoughts.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The bigger question is which razor will I take with me to heaven?

I’ve been (over)thinking a lot lately about heirloom quality (stainless) safety razors. Do I want one? Do I really need one? Will the next generation even want “dad’s old razor”? And if not, will it end up in the second-hand shop for the next guy to pick up for little money? Or worse, will it simply end in a landfill?

My conclusion is that I don’t want a heirloom quality razor. I returned the Rockwell I recently bought. The semi-disposable (mostly) zamak razors I currently own, do just fine. They’ve been doing fine for years in fact. And if one breaks or I happen to cross-thread one on a busy morning, I simply buy a new one. No crying. It also frees the next generation of the burden of having to care for my old stuff because “dad paid good money for it back in the day”.

Now don’t get me wrong, many of those ‘heirloom quality’ razors like a Rex are very nice indeed. And I don’t judge anyone who buys them. Do what makes you happy, YMMV and all. But for me and my life, they’re not meant.

Just some thoughts.

I really like some zamac razors, in particular, at the moment, the Mergress and the Opgress. Both are modifications of the Progress.

(As far as I know having not used one, the Progress shaves just the same as the Mergress or Opgress; if I'm wrong please let me know.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

All of my razors can fit in shoe box, childern's shoe box, tbh. They don't take a lot of space, when I die, I'm dead, I don't care of they sell them, use them or throw them away.
My father used DE razor, he then swithed to Mach3 and threw his DE razor.
My grandfather used to have leather case for brush, DE razor, alum block and blades, he used that until he died. That went to trash also, that being said, I wish I had that shaving kit, well nothing I can do about it. I have SR razor from my greatgradnfather, that one I managed to keep, I don't remeber when I "stole it" but it something

About 10 years ago I started dealing with my uncle's estate. As we were going thru the contents, I found 5 straight razors, going back a ways. One was a brass back razor, probably dating to mid 1800s. I shipped them out for resharpening, and gifted them to my nephew (who's into the whole straight razor experience).
He said the brass back was actually the best shaving of the lot. So, he liked an 1850s design better than stuff from the early 1900s?

I’ve been (over)thinking a lot lately about heirloom quality (stainless) safety razors. Do I want one? Do I really need one? Will the next generation even want “dad’s old razor”? And if not, will it end up in the second-hand shop for the next guy to pick up for little money? Or worse, will it simply end in a landfill?

My conclusion is that I don’t want a heirloom quality razor. I returned the Rockwell I recently bought. The semi-disposable (mostly) zamak razors I currently own, do just fine. They’ve been doing fine for years in fact. And if one breaks or I happen to cross-thread one on a busy morning, I simply buy a new one. No crying. It also frees the next generation of the burden of having to care for my old stuff because “dad paid good money for it back in the day”.

Now don’t get me wrong, many of those ‘heirloom quality’ razors like a Rex are very nice indeed. And I don’t judge anyone who buys them. Do what makes you happy, YMMV and all. But for me and my life, they’re not meant.

Just some thoughts.
I agree. Early on, I "collected" a variety of relatively inexpensive DE razors, new and vintage, but only to see which type worked best for me. Maybe that wasn't entirely valid since I didn't buy any of the high end over $100 vintage or new models that many here insist are the best. Oh well. I discovered a number of things that turned out to matter to me. For example, the basic three-piece design, as in the vintage Gillette Tech, may or may not be the best design for shaving, but it is simple, durable and easy to use and maintain. Also, I like titanium. It is as tough and durable as steel (maybe more so) but lighter, yet not as light as aluminum. And while vintage razors can be very good, I like the greater precision and durability of the new ones.

At some point, I suppose I'll sell the whole collection, though I won't get enough money back to pay for even one of the "high end" models.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Don't worry about future generations, just let yourself enjoy the products you like.

So go if you like zamak razor.
Try Rex/Walfman if you're curious... who knows if we'll live till tomorrow.

There is no need to worry about "children don't like to eat" and give up buying food for yourself and enjoy it. Shaving is a reward for yourself, only for yourself.

If I pay attention to material durability, it's only because I don't want my beloved razor to leave me, that's all.

Last edited:
That's the kind of karma that matters.

My Dad used electric razors. When he passed away, he left 15 or more of them behind. I started out using electrics because that's what he used. I always disliked shaving with an electric but I used to get a new one for Christmas from the age of 14 to 18, when I left home. I didn't ask for any of the 15 electrics he left behind.

I do have my grandfather's straight razor. I do treasure that.. and it might be something one our sons wants when I'm no longer around. Who knows? It isn't a fancy one but he did use it when he was a barber on the USS Missouri in WWI.
Well, since you mentioned WWI, that would make it the Missouri that was a part of the White Fleet. As opposed to the one that the Japanese surrendered on. Either way, it's connected to history.
Something that would make it an actual heirloom piece would be to get your grandfather's service record and keep it with the razor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, since you mentioned WWI, that would make it the Missouri that was a part of the White Fleet. As opposed to the one that the Japanese surrendered on. Either way, it's connected to history.
Something that would make it an actual heirloom piece would be to get your grandfather's service record and keep it with the razor.
That would be a good idea. "His" USS Missouri was scrapped after WWI and there was a new USS Missouri during WWII.

I have one shaving heir who turns 8 soon. He may or may not want my stuff. I do have two family razors that were bought new when my parents were still alive. I have a 57 Tech which most likely was Navy issue to my dad. I also have a 69 gold Super that I recall getting as a gift (probably for dad, but he eschewed wet shaving for electric early on in my childhood). My first few years getting back into DE razors my acquisitions soared. Now, I have to really be intrigued to pick something up.

Any vintage Gillette is heirloom quality. I shave every week with an Old Type that is 104 years old. My other Gillettes range from 85 to 45 years old and all shave great.
I have two grandsons who may someday be interested. It would be a neat heritage if they could be using a 280 year old straight I restored and a 150 year old Gillette set.

I never give it a thought, and buy what I want. No kids, so no worries about shaving heirlooms...all of my shaving (and other) stuff will go to my nieces and nephews to dispose of as they see fit.

I won't buy a $500 razor, but actually had to buy a third AR15 because I have three nephews. Our trust specifies that each gets one, along with a 1911, and one of my better watches. The rest?...they'll figure it out.

I never give it a thought, and buy what I want. No kids, so no worries about shaving heirlooms...all of my shaving (and other) stuff will go to my nieces and nephews to dispose of as they see fit.

I won't buy a $500 razor, but actually had to buy a third AR15 because I have three nephews. Our trust specifies that each gets one, along with a 1911, and one of my better watches. The rest?...they'll figure it out.
OK, where do I sign up to be one of your nephews? :biggrin1:

Just some thoughts.
My son does not shave with a blade, he only uses electric as he has very little facial hair, so, any razor I could own could probably go to a nephew if any of them ever get into DE safety razor shaving. On the other hand, I do remember my dad shaving with a TTO DE safety razor when I was a little kid but he switched to cartridges decades ago (I ignore the reason why) and I have no idea where his razor ended up; he is gone now, so no there is no one I can ask. So, I got a 1968 Gillette Slim from my wife for my birthday (re-plated in platinum), and every time I use it I think of him and how he shaved, the conversations we had while did so, and the Aqua Velva or the Brutt 33 he used afterwards.
Like someone else said before me, experiences, memories have much more value. But, if there is an object that can bring those memories back, they make it that more valuable.

Happy Shaving!

Why am I picturing the finale of the Good the Bad, and the Ugly?

Heirloom?

This is what I leave behind, in an empty house:

proxy.php

My kids when they get the call from the hospital:

proxy.php

Years ago, I was watching Antiques Roadshow, and someone came in with a bent bamboo cane. It had a fairly plain brass ring on it, on which was etched WC.
They said at first glance, it was worth less than $10. The owner produced a letter written to her father giving him the cane for his service. It was signed by Winston Churchill.
The value went north of $1000.
It's not about the item, it's about the story it tells.

Top Bottom