What's new

Heirloom quality razors. Some thoughts.

Years ago, I was watching Antiques Roadshow, and someone came in with a bent bamboo cane. It had a fairly plain brass ring on it, on which was etched WC.
They said at first glance, it was worth less than $10. The owner produced a letter written to her father giving him the cane for his service. It was signed by Winston Churchill.
The value went north of $1000.
It's not about the item, it's about the story it tells.

I thought you were going to say "W. C. Fields", but Churchill works.

I only have two identical razors I selected to pass down to our sons.. to remember their Dad's ummmm enjoyment of shaving. I bought a second Athena for that reason. The boxes in which they come are, along with the beautiful design, makes them perfect pass down razors. The rest of my razors will probably end up being sold. I have the prices, etc., on my cell phone so they have a general idea what they wre worth, or at least, what I paid for them. My wife knows where to sell them, should I end up getting to my expiration date.
No plan is complete without an exit. Being older with only one child, we don’t want to burden him with sorting/liquidating a house full of stuff he won’t want or need one day when we die or need to move for a next level of care. Been there done that 3 times. When he is off to college, we plan on downsizing, getting rid of everything not essential, and definitely having a list of family history pieces, collectibles and values so he can recapture the most $ he can and decide what is, and is not important to him sentimentally.
1696162804696.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 6 Gillette DE razors. The oldest one is a Tuckaway(unsure of what year). The next one is an L1 Slim that was my paternal grandfather’s. I have been shaving with that razor for over ten years now. I have another Slim from late 60s/early 70s that I sometimes shave with. The third Slim I own is a 1986 with the plastic baseplate and longer handle. I only bought it because it’s my birth year razor. The others are a 1958 Silver tip Superspeed, and a 1960s Travel razor. Recently, dad gave me his old Shick injector. He switched back to using a Slim after I started wet shaving. In my collection are several carbon steel Blue and Thin blades.

Top Bottom