What's new

Fatip Razor Quality

Just got my first Fatip Razor. Upon opening the box and inspecting the item I see this -
A bad gash on the inside of the cap
How did this pass quality check I dont know. What I do know is I am returning this first thing tomorrow and most likely never buying one again.
No way this should have been sold like this. Not only that the razor felt really cheap and janky compared to my King C Gilette, Merkur 34G and Parker A1r.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    951.8 KB · Views: 179
  • thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 174
  • damage.jpeg
    damage.jpeg
    928.7 KB · Views: 172

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Given what Fatip sometimes delivers a gash inside is for them no problem at all. They often let worse issues pass.

Give it another go, the gash is annoying, but it should not affect the shave. Quality is not guaranteed with them, Merkur and Paker also often let razors pass that have some scratches.

They're all brass under the plating so at least it won't corrode.
Fatip has been hit or miss for me. If you get a good one they are great. Fit and finish is just okay with them. Blade alignment was my biggest issue.

ya I mean I didn't expect it to be perfect but all the other razors I have bought some even cheaper looked and felt nicer. Idk. And a blade alignment problem would be horrid. I just recieved a Merkur 15c today and it looks perfect . I will probably try to order another Fatip but for me personally little things can bug me. So a gash is gonna drive me crazy always thinking about it. Hopefully the next one looks better cosmetically, I already returned this one.

Attachments

• Shave.jpeg
    Shave.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 53
I have had at least half a dozen different Fatip razors over the years and have something of a love/hate relationship with them. All except for one has required me to adjust the blade slightly after loading it. I don't find this to be a serious problem, or really a problem at all. It takes just a couple of seconds, and since I do not open the razor in between blade changes, it is not a frequent occurence. Today was my first shave with my newest Fatip, a nickel plated Piccolo. It was under $20 from The Razor Company, so I wasn't looking for perfection. That said, the plating was excellent and the blade required only a tiny adjustment from side to side so that both edges had the same exposure. As has always been the case with Fatips and me, the shave was very smooth and comfortable with a BBS finish. Where I've always had trouble, and we'll see if it happens again, is that after using it for a few days I tend to develop irritation on my neck.

I've had the special edition for 9 months. There haven't been any alignment issues, but the coating has been flaking off the top cap. This has been an issue others have had. Since it's brass I'm not worried.

View attachment 1801101
I don't think the zinc or chrome plated ones have issues with coating coming off as bad as the black/gunmetal coated parts of the special edition.
My SE went from looking immaculate to looking like it's been in the wars in maybe 5-7 shaves.

It doesn't affect shaves or longevity of the razor, but I can understand how it would make people doubt the razor.

I don't think I would even have noticed this.

I realised the other day that my Mk1 Fatip has a slight dink out of the edge of the top cap, which is presumably a casting blemish. It doesn't affect the shave at all, and it's taken me 10+ years to spot it. I am very fond of that razor.

Given what Fatip sometimes delivers a gash inside is for them no problem at all. They often let worse issues pass.

Give it another go, the gash is annoying, but it should not affect the shave. Quality is not guaranteed with them, Merkur and Paker also often let razors pass that have some scratches.
True. My first Parker Variant had a noticeable scratch on the knurling that happened before they applied coating to it. The replacement Variant is my most favorite razor.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
True. My first Parker Variant had a noticeable scratch on the knurling that happened before they applied coating to it. The replacement Variant is my most favorite razor.
Yes, that's the important thing. There are many Parkers, Merkurs, Fatips that are totally flawless. But it simply isn't guaranteed, and Fatip is even more notorious in this regard than Parker or Merkur.

Also, the Parker Variant OC is also on my list. But I am holding back - for now. Sooner or later I will give in. :)

Yes, that's the important thing. There are many Parkers, Merkurs, Fatips that are totally flawless. But it simply isn't guaranteed, and Fatip is even more notorious in this regard than Parker or Merkur.

Also, the Parker Variant OC is also on my list. But I am holding back - for now. Sooner or later I will give in. :)
I just got the OC last week.
My advice - just give in ;)

Top Bottom