What's new

Recommendations for a first Razor but with minimal passes - more info inside

Hi all, new to the DE world and could use some advice with the sheer amount of information and choices out there. (Hope this is the right place to post this)

Up until now I've just been using regular shaving foam and cartridges, looking to make the switch to DE razors. One of the reasons I'm looking to switch is irritation on my neck from cartridges, partly due to the agressiveness of them but also due to me shaving against the grain (something I've only just realised I've been doing on that part of my neck, didn't realise the hair grew different ways)

Had lots of chats with the people at executive shaving, but not sure how much is actual advice vs trying to sell the products they sell so coming here for a second opinion.

The main worry with DE shaving is the amount of extra time it takes over cartridge shaving, so I'm looking for something which would enable me to only do minimal passes and be fairly quick (but obviously taking my time during the pass).

I have been looking at:
Muhle R89
Merkur 34C
Merkur 300C Progress adjustable

From what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong):
The R89 and 34C are both fairly mild razors, with the 34C slightly less mild. Both are good for beginners, and if I wanted a closer shave I could get sharper blades in.
The Progress would allow me to adjust to be more agressive once I get better technique, allowing me to do less passes and thus take less time to shave but comes at a greater cost.

My current plan of products to buy alongside:
Wilkinson Sword blades that have PTFE coating to start, moving on to Feather blades later once I get better
Pre-shave oil and Shave Cream that is applied by hand, again trying to save time to not use a brush + bowl (hope I don't offend anyone by doing this)

Would really appreciate any advice on the above (or any suggestions for different razors, with around the same budget in mind) as well as the shaving routine plan!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to give AN answer and suggestions but not the final answer because for everyone YMMV.

IMHO, the easiest razor that I have found to learn with is the Henson AL13. It's very user friendly and intuitive. BUT you don't need a $70 razor to get a great shave. I get great shaves from my $7 Baili and my $15 pre-war Tech as well. What's my point? The razor itself is MUCH less important than learning good technique.

Some suggestions:
1. Don't try to rush the shave. If you want a good shave, plan to take the time to do it right. Get up a little earlier or shave the night before (if that works for you). But don't rush the shave. Learning to use a DE razor takes time, and eventually you'll spend less time when your technique is dialed in. But coming in by saying, "I want my DE shave to be as fast as using cartridges," might be setting you up for failure. And if you're getting irritation from a hurried cartridge shave, might you get irritation from a hurried DE shave? Probably. So take your time and focus on technique.
2. You don't have to do 3 passes. Just do 2 and see how it goes. You might be perfectly fine.
3. You mentioned Wilky blades, but the best piece of advice that I have seen over and over on these forums is for newbies to get a sampler pack. Find the best blade FOR YOU. Yes, not every blade works for every face. In fact, many of the recommended blades (GSBs, all Astras, all Personnas) were not among my favorites. But give me a Gillette Platinum or an LOI Titanium from Bangladesh and I'm quite happy. I even like the Sharks from Egypt. But don't buy a 100 pack of anything until you've purchased a sample pack and been through it.
4. Regarding blades, I haven't purchased a sample pack in quite some time because the PIFs on here are SO generous. Participate in them and give feedback for others.
5. Try some well-respected (but inexpensive) cream and/or soap. Proraso, Palmolive, Arko, etc. are all great. You don't have to pay a lot of money to get a great shave. You mention hand-lathering without a brush, but using a brush doesn't have to take a long time. You can take a shave stick right to your face and face lather in a short amount of time. (But I do prefer a bowl, but again YMMV.)
6. No pressure. If you take it slow, you'll be fine.

I'm sure that there are other things to suggest, but this is where I would start.

4. Regarding blades, I haven't purchased a sample pack in quite some time because the PIFs on here are SO generous. Participate in them and give feedback for others.
That should have said, "I haven't purchased any blades in quite some time..." My first sample pack was the newbie PIF here on B&B (ask @dmshaver about those), and I've been participating in many of @Grundi 's PIFs as well as a few others and I haven't needed to purchase any blades in the last 3 years! (I shave every other day and generally use a blade 4x and then bin it.). I've also had the good fortune that when I started some forum members here have volunteered to send me some blades, and I have reciprocated as well when I found myself stocked up on some blades that others liked but they were just ok for me.

My point is that if you participate in these forums, you'll have plenty of opportunity to try some various blades and you'll learn what you like and what you don't.

Not sure what your typical cartridge shave consists of, but you can accomplish the same with a DE.

That is to say:

If your typical cart shave is a single-pass shave WTG, there is no reason that a single-pass DE shave will take longer or result in an inferior shave.

A single-pass DE shave done correctly should result in a socially acceptable shave, good enough for a daily "work" shave, and every bit as presentable as a single-pass cart shave.

Where the DE razor shines is the multi (2-3) pass shave, which allows for a wonderfully close and comfortable shave, but admittedly does take a bit longer.

Regarding the razor choice, I would start with a "traditional" style, 3-piece razor. The options are many, though a Gillette Tech or Superspeed wouldn't be a terrible starting point.

Not sure what your typical cartridge shave consists of, but you can accomplish the same with a DE.

That is to say:

If your typical cart shave is a single-pass shave WTG, there is no reason that a single-pass DE shave will take longer or result in an inferior shave.

A single-pass DE shave done correctly should result in a socially acceptable shave, good enough for a daily "work" shave, and every bit as presentable as a single-pass cart shave.

Where the DE razor shines is the multi (2-3) pass shave, which allows for a wonderfully close and comfortable shave, but admittedly does take a bit longer.

Regarding the razor choice, I would start with a "traditional" style, 3-piece razor. The options are many, though a Gillette Tech or Superspeed wouldn't be a terrible starting point.
Excellent advice, all the way around.

The main worry with DE shaving is the amount of extra time it takes over cartridge shaving, so I'm looking for something which would enable me to only do minimal passes and be fairly quick (but obviously taking my time during the pass).

The difficulty here is that while some folks do get away with doing fewer passes using a more aggressive razor, those types of razors aren't usually ideal for learning the ropes with. And some folks need multiple passes whatever razor they use, due to how their hair grows.

Also, with a traditional wet shave, it isn't really the passes that take more time compared to a cartridge & goo shave, it's the prep (which you arguably ought to be doing anyway), lathering and clean up. Sure, you might be able to knock a pass off if you get an R41 instead of a de89, but that will save you <2 minutes in a 20 minute process - it's not significant enough to be a consideration when weighed against the requirement for a comfortable shave with a razor that allows you to achieve closeness via multiple passes, which is how DE razors are meant to work.

On that basis, I think your plan is good. And you may well find that a couple of passes with a de89 and a Feather is all you need.

Also, get a brush. You can lather directly on your face. Splodge of cream, smear on face, lather with brush, ready to shave. Either that or buy brushless creams - I understand there are some available in the USA that don't actually suck, although I never used them myself as they aren't available in my country (at least, not at a sensible price compared to a good, traditional shave cream).

As above, try to get your hands on a Tech. It is mild and efficient as well as inexpensive and there are plenty floating around at flea markets and antique stores.

For the time being, I'd try to work on your lather making skills. Pick up a quality synthetic brush, some Proraso cream or other easy to lather product. Concentrate on face lathering, it's easier to control how the lather feels and is less wasteful and quicker than bowl lathering

Pick up (on eBay) a Gillette Guard single blade cartridge razor. It shaves as well as a DE. No lube strip, no multi-blade, no rollerball head. It's a fantastic razor.

I never cared for Merkur razors. They felt cheap to me and the plating usually sucked. The 89 is widely regarded as mild, but I don't care for how it shaves.

My all time favorite razors are the RazoRock Mamba 53, Gillette Tech and Gillette FatBoy.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community.

When I started out, I chatted with Brian Mulreany, the former owner of The Executive Shaving Company. Man, I miss that guy.

I do have the Progress 500, the shorter handle Merkur Progress... as well as a few more Progress options you'll see pop up from time to time, as well as the long handled Progress 501. It wouldn't be a bad starting place.

That said, our youngest son got me into wet shaving and his first razor was the Merkur 38C barber shop HD handle... longer handle and a bit heavier razor. He loves his... and ended up buying another one with the black resin handle.

I don't know exactly what I'd do in your situation. I think I might start out with the Merkur 37C slant razor. I have a couple more expensive double edge slants but I've used my 37C a few times and have to say... it's one of the most gentle, comfortable razors I've used.... I get 12 hour shaves from my Top Razors but I still get 8 to 10 hour shaves with my 37C. I notice ESC doesn't stock them but I'm sure one of the other UK companies does.. I'm going to look right now..

I was wrong: ESC does carry them: Merkur 37C Chrome Slant Safety Razor – Executive Shaving - https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/products/merkur-37c-chrome-slant-safety-razor

Another site: https://www.traditionalshaving.co.u...ar-37C-Safety-Razor-Chrome-4045284011157.html

If you google "Merkur 37C for sale in the UK".. those popped up with a few others

It might just give you that tad more efficiency than the razors you listed and I'm pretty sure it would be comfortable for you. It sure is for me.

First off, a massive thank you to everyone who's replied here - I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me advice.

3. You mentioned Wilky blades, but the best piece of advice that I have seen over and over on these forums is for newbies to get a sampler pack. Find the best blade FOR YOU.
5. Try some well-respected (but inexpensive) cream and/or soap. Proraso, Palmolive, Arko, etc. are all great. You don't have to pay a lot of money to get a great shave. You mention hand-lathering without a brush, but using a brush doesn't have to take a long time. You can take a shave stick right to your face and face lather in a short amount of time.
Thank you for the advice, I'll search up variety packs to buy. Any particular brands that I should be aiming to try? Also, what is a PIF - is that like a blade trading scheme?
Regarding cream, I was looking at the Body Shop Maca Root cream as I saw someone in this forum recommend it and it seems reasonably priced (not sure if anyone on this thread has used / knows about this one?), but someone also mentioned here starting out with my usual spray foam until I get used to the DE which could be a good option as well.

Would the "King C. Gillette Double Edge Safety Razor" also be a good option as I guess a modern version of these? Or is it best to hunt on eBay etc for an old Tech / Superspeed

I don't know exactly what I'd do in your situation. I think I might start out with the Merkur 37C slant razor. I have a couple more expensive double edge slants but I've used my 37C a few times and have to say... it's one of the most gentle, comfortable razors I've used.... I get 12 hour shaves from my Top Razors but I still get 8 to 10 hour shaves with my 37C. I notice ESC doesn't stock them but I'm sure one of the other UK companies does.. I'm going to look right now..

If you google "Merkur 37C for sale in the UK".. those popped up with a few others

It might just give you that tad more efficiency than the razors you listed and I'm pretty sure it would be comfortable for you. It sure is for me.
Thanks for the recommendation, never seen a slanted one before. Does this require a different technique to handle the slant but shaving at an angle or do you shave as normal with it just shaving at that slant?

General questions for others, has anyone used the below products and have any opinions on them?
1. The Body Shop Maca Root and Aloe Softening Shaving Cream
2. Viking Revolution pre-shave oil (most reasonably priced I could see)
3. Do brushes need to be any particular type or will any standard one do? Concious of budget so ideally something quite cheap would be ideal
I'm based in the UK so may have different products available / not available to me

Last edited:
I'm based in the UK so may have different products available / not available to me

I didn't notice at first that you were in the UK.

That being the case, Body Shop Maca Root is fine, but it's about £14 a tub. In Sainsbury's you can get Palmolive cream for £2, which I personally prefer - I have sensitive skin and the Maca Root is borderline too fragranced for me to use without a skin reaction.

You also mentioned a modern Gillette razor, which is probably the King C Gillette. A few weeks backs they were on sale for just £10 in Superdrug. Bargain! This is basically the same head design as the de89 / Muhle r89. If you can get one at that price it's a no-brainer.

So that's a razor and cream for £12.

By all means go to Executive Shaving for other stuff - their own brand gear is good quality. However, many of us in the UK have a long standing relationship with Connaught Shaving. You might also look at getting a Razorock synthetic brush from Shaving Time, or a Yaqi synthetic brush from their Aliexpress store. If you don't end up ordering stuff from elsewhere, razorbladesclub is a good source for blade samplers.

Pick up (on eBay) a Gillette Guard single blade cartridge razor. It shaves as well as a DE. No lube strip, no multi-blade, no rollerball head. It's a fantastic razor.
Interesting suggestion this, what are the pros / cons of using this compared to a DE? Seems a lot cheaper!

That being the case, Body Shop Maca Root is fine, but it's about £14 a tub. In Sainsbury's you can get Palmolive cream for £2, which I personally prefer - I have sensitive skin and the Maca Root is borderline too fragranced for me to use without a skin reaction.

You also mentioned a modern Gillette razor, which is probably the King C Gillette. A few weeks backs they were on sale for just £10 in Superdrug. Bargain! This is basically the same head design as the de89 / Muhle r89. If you can get one at that price it's a no-brainer.

By all means go to Executive Shaving for other stuff - their own brand gear is good quality. However, many of us in the UK have a long standing relationship with Connaught Shaving. You might also look at getting a Razorock synthetic brush from Shaving Time, or a Yaqi synthetic brush from their Aliexpress store. If you don't end up ordering stuff from elsewhere, razorbladesclub is a good source for blade samplers.
Thanks for the advice, will try out that cream and look for that razor, hopefully discounted somewhere! Will check out those other places you mentioned, thank you. Seems like a huge amount of options of Yaqi (only one I've searched so far) - any particular recommendations?

- any particular recommendations?

Go for something in 24mm or 26mm. I would also go for a plissoft style knot (the creamy coloured hair with grey tips) rather than something with black hairs to begin with. The dark knots (tuxedo, timberwolf, etc.) tend to be a slightly stiffer brush and may or may not suit you. We can't link directly to products here, but if you google "plissoft brush" you will be able to see what the hairs look like and get a matching Yaqi option.

Go for something in 24mm or 26mm. I would also go for a plissoft style knot (the creamy coloured hair with grey tips) rather than something with black hairs to begin with. The dark knots (tuxedo, timberwolf, etc.) tend to be a slightly stiffer brush and may or may not suit you. We can't link directly to products here, but if you google "plissoft brush" you will be able to see what the hairs look like and get a matching Yaqi option.
Seems whenever I go to pay on Ali it adds on another £5 when I go to a payment provider, very sneaky. Will look at the other options you suggested!

Interesting suggestion this, what are the pros / cons of using this compared to a DE? Seems a lot cheaper!
Cons: It doesn't look as cool and hip in shave pics. Cartridges are not easily found outside eBay for reasonable prices. Your DE skills will not improve as you don't have to worry about angle.

Pros: No fuss shaves. No worry about angle. Perfect shaves until the blade starts to dull. You will be able to go ATG fairly quickly compared to DE/SE.

I buy them in 100 lot. Works out cheaper that way (25-30 cents). It shaves as well as an DE.

Welcome to B&B! Lots of great advice given so far. I’ll add mine to the mix.

Switching from cartridges to DE razors was a struggle for me at first until I finally found what works.

Master one thing at a time. I recommend the razor first and then the lather. That means sticking with your current lather, which may be canned goo, until you have mastered the razor. Then, work on making your own lathers from soaps and creams with a brush.

I recommend a medium aggressive razor that is shaved at a shallow angle. This mimics a cartridge at first. Once you get better, you can experiment with different angles and more aggressive razors. Avoid shaving against the grain until you have mastered everything else.

Would the "King C. Gillette Double Edge Safety Razor" also be a good option as I guess a modern version of these? Or is it best to hunt on eBay etc for an old Tech / Superspeed

I've never owned the King C Gillette razor, but I think it is a copy of the EJDE89, and different from both the vintage Gillette Tech or Superspeed.

It may suit you very well, but only you can determine which is best.

As stated, Techs and Superspeeds can be found easily on ebay, at least in the US. You may also find one here in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum, but will need to meet the requirements to post there. You can immediately browse there, and PM seller's once you have 10 (?) posts.

Good luck. 🙂

Top Bottom