What's new

How do you rate Edwin Jagger Razors?

I'm trying to cover the gamut of DE razors. My question is, what is your take on Edwin Jagger razors? How do they compare to Gillettes, Merkurs, Muhles. ect. Also which are your favorites?

The new EJ DE89L with the Muhle head, is the best razor I've owned. It's my go-to razor even ahead of my FatBoy and Slim. Fantastic shaves with any blade I throw into it!

Last edited:
I concur. Once I started using the DE89L, I stopped using everything else and sold most of them. I use Feathers and could not ask for a better shave, no cuts, no irritation. It does not matter what kind of cream I use; the razor is the best.
Larry

The new EJ DE89L with the Muhle head, is the best razor I've owned. It's my go-to razor even ahead of my FatBoy and Slim. Fantastic shaves with any blade I throw into it!

+1 BBS every time. Today I installed the iKon handle on it and it's even easier to handle.

I think the secret is the way the blade is pressed to minimize warp and movement.

S

slather

On the Muhle any difference between the open comb (R41) and bar version (R89) or just a matter of preference? I still don't understand whom the open comb razors are intended for ...

It's a matter of preference but the iKon handle feels safer in my hand because it's diamond knurled and the heavier weight.

I will defer to the members that have also used razors other than Edwin Jagger since I only own two razors and both of them are EJ. I have, however, used both the Merkur head and the Jagger-Muhle head on my different EJ handles and I can say with confidence that they are both fantastic shavers. I give the slight edge to the newer Jagger-Muhle head in terms of fit, finish and performance.
Aesthetically, EJ and Muhle razors are hard to beat.
The quarter lb. weight of my Bulbous lined makes the "no pressure" mantra easy to enforce in application. The shape of my Georgian is unique and it fills my hand, making the heavy head feeling an afterthought.
They are simply splendid examples of precise engineering and a joy to own and to use.

Last edited:
Can anyone chime in as to how aggressive the new Edwin Jaggers are (with the Muhle head)?

Can anyone venture an educated guess of where they fall in terms of aggressiveness?

My go to double edge is a Gillette Slim set at "3". Is it comparable?

IMO only - The new EJ 89 head is just about as aggressive as a 34C but smooooother.
Think of your slim on 5 (I have a '67 slim - another great DE).
I use a cooncatbob handle on mine because I like the extra weight and he does incredible work for a very reasonable price. It's my "go to" now.
HTH
-bob

I have the EJ DE87 and is one of my best razors, the other is the Mühle R106, both are very good shavers, and easy to use for the newbies, but efficient enough for the advanced user.

I have to set my Gillette BH adjustable on 6 in order to obtain a shave as close as the EJ.

I also agree. I'm not much for love fests on products, but the EJ89L has cured my RAD, and gives excellent shaves to boot (I have to say that it somehow allows even mediocre razors to perform well -I love the Red Pack IPs in mine, never used Feathers). Very highly recommend from me.

I also must comment on the finish and quality -it's outstanding and the best I've ever seen.

I concur. Once I started using the DE89L, I stopped using everything else and sold most of them. I use Feathers and could not ask for a better shave, no cuts, no irritation. It does not matter what kind of cream I use; the razor is the best.
Larry

I love my Edwin Jagger DE89L -so much so, I've been debating whether or not to purchase another one so that I can have one downstairs as well (oh, the luxury...).

I just pulled the trigger -in case people don't know TESC are running a promotion where shipping is free -so I ended up buying an EJ DE89L for about $30 including shipping to the USA (once you specify price in dollars and to ship to the States, the tax is removed). A fantastic bargain -especially if you are wondering whether or not to try an EJ razor. I think $30 including shipping is insanely cheap for such a quality razor.

Which is your preferred handle of the EJ razors on The English Shaving Company (and why)? I find the descriptions quite confusing.

I like the lined chrome (on the DE89L, where the L is for Lined). It is a handle with parallel ridges going down the handle. I don't like the idea of the smooth chrome or the imitation ivory or ebony -but to be honest I haven't tried them,so they could be fine.

Top Bottom