What's new

Price vs. Quality (newbie question)

Hello everyone, I have newbie question. In life I have noticed you can buy different grades of items. My guess is shaving is no different. When you buy a razor, what are you paying for as the price increases? Lets say you compare a $5 no name razor, a $10 Lord, and a $40 Edwin Jagger or Merkur. Why do the Edwin Jagger and Merkur cost more?

As in everything, yes and no. As a general rule, you do get tighter tolerance and better materials as you go up in price. I know there are inexpensive ones that shave well so it’s a value of enjoyment proposition.

What throws this whole thing out of whack is the vintage razors where the value vs performance and quality ratio is ridiculous.

You get higher build quality---consistency, tolerances, material, possibly better designs, etc---that will lend itself to a smoother shave and longer life. There's no need to spend more than $75 for a razor. A $10 zamac razor may shave as well as a more expensive stainless, brass, or aluminum razor, but it will not last as long.

Hello everyone, I have newbie question. In life I have noticed you can buy different grades of items. My guess is shaving is no different. When you buy a razor, what are you paying for as the price increases? Lets say you compare a $5 no name razor, a $10 Lord, and a $40 Edwin Jagger or Merkur. Why do the Edwin Jagger and Merkur cost more?
So I would look at the $80-$100+ range before seeing clear differences in materials and construction quality.

It is easy enough to find OEM versions of the Edwin Jaggers and Merkurs that are the same or near enough to the branded versions for as much as a 66% discount. I has a low end model of the EJ DE89 ($27) and an OEM version ($10) - they are virtually identical.

It's all up to you to decide. Razors like Merkur 34C or even a $2 Yuma can give you great shaves and you will never even think about getting a more expensive razor. If you get addicted and want to turn shaving into a hobby, then you might want to try more expensive and better made razors. Are they going to shave you better vs the less expensive ones? Again, it's all to you.

Each person is different and some folks are quite happy with their inexpensive razors while others enjoy shaving with high end razors going for $200-$1000 or more and find them better than anything else. If you stick around and you get more and more curious about the different razors, I can guarantee you that you will get the answers of those questions all by yourself. It all comes down to how much you like shaving and how much you're willing to spend and while this hobby isn't as expensive as collecting cars, bikes, watches etc. if you get deep enough, it will cost you a decent amount of money.

So I would look at the $80-$100+ range before seeing clear differences in materials and construction quality.

It is easy enough to find OEM versions of the Edwin Jaggers and Merkurs that are the same or near enough to the branded versions for as much as a 66% discount. I has a low end model of the EJ DE89 ($27) and an OEM version ($10) - they are virtually identical.
Who is the OEM for Edwin Jagger? I thought they designed and made their own razors.

There is price and there is value.

Price is easy to measure.

Value is subjective. And we each get to set where we belong on that spectrum. Great to have choices IMO!!
Absolutely spot on!

The price is a function of utility - how well it is fit for purpose and does the job at hand, and value - the non-utilitarian aspects of its existence. For a starter razor, how long it lasts is immaterial; for something you want to pass on, it's priceless. If your purpose in life is to get out the door, then el cheapo disposable has utility and high value, if your goal is to enjoy the experience then the utility is still there but the value is zero. A vintage Gillette has utility, but its history, preservation, and uniqueness increase its value if a sense of history is part of your Gestalt. Sometimes, you want your team to win; sometimes, how they win is more important. As long as you separate utility and value, then any price can be exorbitant or cheap based on what the individual person sees and appreciates in the razor.

I am currently testing a bunch of under $10 razors (that included blades) as I want to create a "gateway drug" to wet shaving for people I know. Each one has different characteristics - some I would give to those using cartridges, some to those using disposables, some to those using electrics, etc. But net - each one of them give a good DFS. If I was just into shaving to get out the door and save money and help the environment, I could develop sufficient skill with any of these to get BBS and be at the same end point as anyone on the board. However, I have a thing for the intersection of art, engineering, and philosophy so my shaves are experiential as opposed to utilitarian. My collection is utilitarian (gets the job done) but also represents a broad range of experiences and prices, but comparable values to me. My $50 ES Stinger and 37C are as valuable to me as my Cx-Mokume or my Tedalus Velocity-one.
Cheap Razors.jpg

Last edited:
Basically you have to do the research on the item or service you are going to purchase .
It is a consumers choice, just like anything else you are shelling out for.
"What is more important to you?"
Maybe both is , like for me.
I am always hoping when I make a discussion that the product ( service/ company/ support) at least meets my expect and best when it exceeds them.
For me, I usually start with researching the small / local / US business and just move up and around from there.
Sometimes the big ones loose focus and connections with there customers.
Sometimes the small ones, can be more money but may give a great support and connection with there base.
& Yes and also both these examples can fail.

Research first,
Talk with your wallet.
Everyone formula is different....

BFX

dgfv5ry-b2a67562-73a8-4182-9ed8-47412c6563e7.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
In life I have noticed you can buy different grades of items. My guess is shaving is no different.

Lots of choices. A couple of ways to approach that. If you're the kind of person who does a lot of research before pulling out their wallet, this is a great excuse to do some research. (Note that because we're all so different and there are so many options and conditions we can't control, asking for subjective experience on this or that thing isn't good research.) If on the other hand you check out a few options and grab whatever looks good at the time, then you may as well pull out your wallet and get the process started. :) I'm not criticising either way, although I will admit I've held off on the purchase of a rather expensive razor for the last three years while I do additional research to understand what's actually happening under the hood with that one.

O.H.

Razors such as the Lord models are sold inexpensively from blister packs in tens of thousands of small stores and pharmacies. They are made of inexpensive materials. Still, they are designed well and function well. Cost per unit sale is low, profit can be low because the volume sold is huge.

If you want something made from nicer materials, more nicely finished and so on, you pay a premium. Since the volume of more expensive razors sold is less, the cost for each unit sale is higher. Profit needs to be higher to make it worthwhile for the maker.

Like many things, there's a relationship between price and quality but it's complicated and fuzzy. I think there's a bigger difference performance wise on average when you get to the sub-100 and up range, like cranewarrior is saying, but there's plenty of exceptions cheaper than that, and vintage razors throw the whole thing out of whack because most of them are exceptional razors if in decent condition, and many of them can be had for less than 100 USD, often less than 50.

I would highly recommend a vintage razor over any of the razors you mentioned, for example.

Also, so much of this is YMMV so there's that too.

I think that the law of diminishing returns applies here as it does anywhere else.

Though i also believe that in the sub-$100 price range, you can still get increased value, and an increase in quality for a few extra bucks.

For example:

You could buy a Merkur 34c for $50 and have a faily well made, nice looking razor that will give you many years of service, but...

...for $15 more, you can buy a Razorock Game Changer.

So, a decent, chrome plated pot-metal razor, or a razor machined from solid stainless steel for 15 bucks more? To me, the difference is obvious and the choice easy.

After that, IMO, you are getting minor improvements in materials (brass, bronze, copper, Ti), and fit and finish, for a lot more money.

Of course a $5 razor will shave, even better if it is a vintage Gillette.

Top Bottom