What's new

Shaving House or Value Brands (newbie question)

Hello everyone. As I type this, my first shave kit is on the way. The point of this thread is to learn. I tend to be the person in life that seeks value for money, quality at a fair price. I want to avoid the no name, poor quality control junk....yet do not care about luxury items. I am the no frills guy. My shave gear means more to me as a long lasting quality tool, and not a collectable item. Having typed that, in your opinion, which brands are the house or value brands of the shaving world? I have come across Razorock.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Value for money? A vintage Gillette Tech, Proraso cream or Arko! soap, a cheap boar brush - I recommend Semogue, a selection of cheap blades - Astra, Lord, Shark etc., some drugstore aftershave - Mennen Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Old Spice. All you need for a lifetime of great shaves is right there.

Value is largely in the eye of the beholder IMO.

That said, most everything in ‘traditional’ wet shaving provides great value compared to shaving with carts and foam, etc. from heavily advertised brands. For example, I have some expensive kit that I get to use and enjoy on a daily basis. Amortized over the years I have used them, I have saved $ compared to my years of shaving as a daily chore with carts!! Just my $0.02! :popc::popc:

@BlindFarmer what did you get as part of your kit?
I would probably recommend trying what you have for a bit before going wild on buying more stuff. See how the software performs for you, and determine if there’s elements that you hope would be better (for example are they leaving your skin dry or too oily, is there irritation, are you overall enjoying the results of that soap/splash).

There are definitely inexpensive soaps and splashes that get the job done, and if you’re happy with the results you get from those that’s great and you don’t really need to worry about spending more for something different. If you decide you’re looking for something different there will be a bunch of options that are a step up in cost of a few bucks, and you might enjoy more. Like @BigJ said above, you get enough use out of these things that the difference in cost gets spread out over a good amount of time/usage.

@BlindFarmer You can check out razors made by Baili and Weishi. Baili and Weishi are OEM manufacturers for a variety of companies selling safety razors. I have a $10 Baili purchased off Amazon I think is high quality. The head is Zamak, so not it's not a high end heirloom razor, but it shaves well and feels good in the hand with enough heft so you don't feel you have to press on the razor. I noticed the same razor was being sold by another brand for $35-$40 and the only apparent different was brand etching on the cap.

As for shaving soap, you don't have to spend a lot if you don't want to. A 1 kilogram brick of Vitos or Cella will last you at least a couple of years even with daily shaves, and they cost about $45. That's $22 a year for some high quality lather.

Top Bottom