What's new

Blackland Osprey vs Rex Konsul vs superslant L3++OC

For anyone whos tried 2 or all of them how do they compare? Which do you like and best? I know the price diffes so not too interested in that point! Thank you in advance!

Personal favorites Muhle r41 with razorock sloc top, slim at 7-8 and fatip sorto open comb.

I've never tried the l3 open comb but I've tried all the others super slant permutations. They'll all cost you quite a pretty penny if you want all the options, even the super slants. The osprey is amazing, almost as good as the super slants. And would probably be more than enough for most. The konsul is to me the weakest of the bunch. The way it holds the razor blade is not clamped fully edge to edge. An irrelevant detail to some, but a factor my beard notices immediately. Butbthat being said all three offer good shaves, the osprey is probably the smoothest, the slant the most efficient, and the konsul less smooth and less efficient than both options.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve mentioned this ad nauseam, but I’m trying to find a base plate match for my face and whiskers. I’m stuck in the middle. The L1++OC is a bit too mild and the L2++ is a bit too efficient. I’m going to try a few different blades to see if I can dial it in that way as my next step. I’m a huge fan of the design.

I’ve mentioned this ad nauseam, but I’m trying to find a base plate match for my face and whiskers. I’m stuck in the middle. The L1++OC is a bit too mild and the L2++ is a bit too efficient. I’m going to try a few different blades to see if I can dial it in that way as my next step. I’m a huge fan of the design.
Ever tried the standard l2++? I'm shocked that thing is too mild for you man. The l2++ feels like the wunderbar to me which was the opposite of mild.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I use the L3++ OC and find it much safer than the Wunderbar, also feeling milder. I like both, the L3++ OC is more to my liking. I gave the L3 SB to a friend who is murdering himself with it.

It is quite a feature of the Superslants that they are perceived so extremely differently!

I have not tried the other razors, I am sceptical of the Konsul but find the Osprey pretty interesting, particularly after some very satisfied customer reports.

From what I have used, the Razorock Superslant/Wunderbar design is so far by a large margin my favorite type of slant design, also in general among my favorite razors. I particularly didn't like the Yaqi Slope and the iKon B1 Slant is not bad perhaps, but simply doesn't compare favorably to the Superslants, unless one wants it really mild, but I guess that's what the L1/L2 plates are for.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ever tried the standard l2++? I'm shocked that thing is too mild for you man. The l2++ feels like the wunderbar to me which was the opposite of mild.
I probably failed to communicate.... again.... I have the L2++ and I get 15 hour shaves from it... and my skin suffers. It's too much for me... My musing was... if I get the OC L2++, could I back off the pressure more easily than I seem to be able to do with the L2++? I don't think the middle L2 or L2+ would make enough of a difference for me to try them.

I think, if I'm going to keep a SuperSlant, I have to make one of the two base plates I have work... the L1++OC or the L2++. Wider blade like a Kai or sharper blade like a Feather in the L1++OC... and a less sharp blade in the L2++... Maybe a Wizamet would work... or a Astra SP green... I have some of each. Perhaps my technique is stagnant and I need to let both razors talk to me and tell me what they want.... That's always a good possibility.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Maybe a Wizamet would work... or a Astra SP green... I have some of each.
I shaved in the morning already (yep, that's unusual for me) with the SuperSlant L3++ OC and will compare a Dorco Prime to Feather, BIC Platinum, Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum and Voshkod. I rather appreciate the more cushioned blades for this one, though, as the Feather as sharpest of the bunch can be nasty with Wunderbar and at least the L3 SuperSlants. It's the one shave I always refer to, where the Wunderbar sliced away a whole slab of skin on my chin and I didn't notice right away...

My report is planned for tonight, have to take a photo, but here it is already for you:
The Dorco Prime makes the L3++ OC very safe, but I had to do some more corrections at the chin. The place where I usually go slow, see above. I think a Wizamet should work if they are really like the Polsilvers of old. I used Polsilvers to tame the R41. My forum name is derived from Polsilver Super Iridium.

I probably failed to communicate.... again.... I have the L2++ and I get 15 hour shaves from it... and my skin suffers. It's too much for me... My musing was... if I get the OC L2++, could I back off the pressure more easily than I seem to be able to do with the L2++? I don't think the middle L2 or L2+ would make enough of a difference for me to try them.

I think, if I'm going to keep a SuperSlant, I have to make one of the two base plates I have work... the L1++OC or the L2++. Wider blade like a Kai or sharper blade like a Feather in the L1++OC... and a less sharp blade in the L2++... Maybe a Wizamet would work... or a Astra SP green... I have some of each. Perhaps my technique is stagnant and I need to let both razors talk to me and tell me what they want.... That's always a good possibility.
L1+ man. Idk why but all the other plates irritate me a little. But l1 and l1+ do not. This coming from someone who enjoyed the wunderbar. I also wonder if the top caps not being mated with the baseplates like the wunderbars were effects things. Like I have a few super slant top caps and some of them fit the blade a little different. With my original one loading a blade isn't an issue. But with two top caps I purchased recently the blade doesn't fall neatly onto the posts. I have to sort of crunch it down as I tighten the threads

I also find L1 and L1++OC very good (autopilot) razors. No weepers, no irritation. Robust shaves. L1 for speed, L1++OC for a nice close shave.

I sometimes think about getting L2++OC ... and Osprey ... just because ... whereas I cannot say the same about Konsul.
Osprey is fantastically well clamped for a non slanted razor. I wanted to love the konsul because an adjustable slant seems like my dream razor on paper but there's just too much top cap overhang and not enough support from the baseplate. Don't get me wrong I can make it work, it's not unusable. But if an Osprey feels better clamped than a konsul than I feel as though the slant is pointless. A slant is only as good as its clamping, hence why the 37c and razorocks slants are so good. I actually bought the konsul 2 times trying to love it. But it's plainly an inferior product for my face.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I like the Konsul and can get some lovely shaves with it. I'm an inveterate fiddler, though, so I'm always tuning that thing to whatever conditions I find in the moment. I can do none of that with the Superslants, but that's fine. As I've said, I can do it with technique or technology. Or both, of course.

I tried the L1++OC and found it very mild. I don't really like mild razors so somebody else has that plate now. I have also tried the L2++OC and the L3SB, both of which I adore. The L2OC is a very good shave for me and good enough for a daily driver, while the L3SB is just a barely noticeably closer shave.

In the taxonomy of the Superslant the L2OC is just under the L3SB, so it's interesting to see that the design criteria play out in real life. I've said I'd like to try the L3OC, but it's not like I'm struggling with what I have. I'll do it eventually, I'm sure, but for now I'll keep that hundred bucks in my sock.

O.H.

I get very smooth shaves from the Konsul xl and enjoy using it. I don't have a Super slant but I do have a Wunderbar, and it's one of the closest shavers on the shelf, and still quite comfortable. I wouldn't part with either.

Waiting for my Osprey. That seems like it would check a lot of boxes.

So...perhaps this is irrelevant. But I was evaluated my super slants side by side last night and realized that the l1 has smaller and narrow lather channels than the others. The way the razorock slant works is that it has the center band of steel supporting the blade and then the side vertical bars that protrude outward and downward. The only thing support the edges of the blade are those two pieces of metal that then form the guard of the baseplate. The l1 has a narrower lather channel and the sides of the blade seem to be slightly better supported. Could be why I get along with it better. Idk. Could be irrelevant.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So...perhaps this is irrelevant. But I was evaluated my super slants side by side last night and realized that the l1 has smaller and narrow lather channels than the others. The way the razorock slant works is that it has the center band of steel supporting the blade and then the side vertical bars that protrude outward and downward. The only thing support the edges of the blade are those two pieces of metal that then form the guard of the baseplate. The l1 has a narrower lather channel and the sides of the blade seem to be slightly better supported. Could be why I get along with it better. Idk. Could be irrelevant.
I finally decided the SuperSlant and I just didn't get along well enough for me to add it to my Top Razor list... So it moved to a better, more loving home. <eg>

Top Bottom