What's new

Discussion thread for Tade 16% Laurel Shaving Soap Review

Is there a USA source where this can be bought?

This is the only US based seller I could find, unfortunately, they only carry the shaving kit, which is way overpriced in my opinion. The shaving soap is excellent, but the brush in the set isn't anything special.
http://www.conranusa.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=Toiletries&language=en-US&pid=9080895
If you do a Google search for Tade Savon a Rasage you should find most of the European suppliers of the soap, chances are one of them should ship.

yes; mine came from cambridge chemists in boston.

You mean Colonial Drug, which was where I purchased it. (Cambridge Chemists are in NYC & they don't carry it.) Picked up the phone Thurs. morning and it was in my hands Fri. night when I got home from work.

I used it for the first time today. This is the only soap I've used so far where, while loading the brush, the soap looked "gummy." There were strands of soap stretching from the brush to the side of the container. It looked like chewing gum, or mozzarella from a slice of hot pizza (albeit with a much thinner consistency).

Alex said in his review how the lather lasts & lasts & takes water very well. I found the opposite to be true. The lather disappeared fairly quickly from my skin, although my skin stayed slick throughout and I got a clean, comfortable, BBS shave. At one point I dipped the tips of my brush into warm water to refresh the lather & was rewarded with an airy, bubbly mess on my face. This is one soap I'll need to practice with. My water is perfect; all I can think is I didn't load the brush well enough. Overall I think this is a very good soap indeed, though perhaps it's better suited to bowl than face lathering.

Evbo, my experience mirror's yours. and i'll reiterate and emphasize the slickness ...which is un-matched ...however fleeting the lather is.

I purchased this at Colonial Drug as well and sold if off very quickly. I got the same gumminess as everyone received. I thought it was a thick, waxy layer on top so I kept at it. Still nothing:( I did shave with it and was able to get a descent shave but refuse to spend so much time and effort on a soap. The concept was nice, with the end result wasnt worth it. It was unfortunate b/c I bought the Cade, Volabra menthol, and Joris soap. All are no longer with me even though I was extremely happy with the Joris. The Cade is probably a mighty fine product, just a bit difficult to use:(

Tade? Difficult to lather? How about impossible? This stuff makes Mitchell's Woolfat seem as easy as Musgo Real to lather. Seriously. I'd send a latte back if its foam was as feeble. If I drank them.

Now onto the positive. When I couldn't get anything other than a thin, foamy mess, I added a tiny snurdle of Musgo Real. Suitable lather in bowl, I proceeded to have a very, very nice shave. A decent lather may be well beyond Tade's abilities, but it was very slick and let my skin in great condition.

First time I used this soap, I had sooooooo much trouble loading the brush with enough soap to make a lather, extreme measures were required. I covered the soap with water and let it sit for days. After a few days a thick, stringy goop covered the soap. I rinsed it off and let the soap sit for a few more days. Finally used it this morning. The good news is that I was able to load the brush and build a lather. The bad news is that the lather was thin and and very unstable.

Any ideas where to go now? Or should I just toss it in the shower and be done with it?

Any ideas where to go now? Or should I just toss it in the shower and be done with it?

That sounds like a plan, and a good one. However unstable it is as a shaving soap I'd bet that it would make a great prep/pre-shave soap. I might go that way myself.

Well Professor, I don't own nor have ever tried it however..... If it has an incredible scent like most of Olivia's soaps do, I would add KMF unscented SC to get the desired lather. If it doesn't, dump it. There are too many great products out there that work right out of the gate and / or smell amazing than to fiddle with a mediocre one.

Back in Oct '07 we found Tade and ordered a sample to try. I cut the puck in half and as was the general test back then, John H and I independently tried it without bias. He tried it and could not get a favorable lather. I tried it, tried it, and tried it again and could not get a favorable lather. I tried soaking it, lathering it excessively, etc. All to no avail. The scent is incredible, but the lather is subpar. I would really like to say that it worked but I can't

That said, I still have a US source for it, if some people want to get some. We can organize a little group buy if there is enough interest. Just let me know.

AJS review sounded great, but if several guys couldn't get it to lather properly that's really too bad. Sorta glad I didn't buy it. I wonder if you guys got a defective batch or something?

After further attempts at getting this stuff to lather, Tade = Bath soap. A shame too, it got many things right. Except for the lather part.

After further attempts at getting this stuff to lather, Tade = Bath soap. A shame too, it got many things right. Except for the lather part.

I'm with you there. But how did you get it out of its plastic container? Mine seems to be hopelessly stuck.

Top Bottom