What's new

Which Shaving Soaps still contain Tallow?

Several well-known producers of shaving soaps have reformulated their products recently to exclude tallow. This has been discussed repeatedly in this forum. I was thinking that it might be useful to compile a list of shaving soap producers, traditional and boutique, that still do include tallow in their products.

Please submit your list to this thread and I'll compile a list and post it.

Areffa Soap
Ariana & Evans

ETHOS Grooming Essentials

First Line Shave

Gentleman's Nod
Grooming Dept

Hoffman's Shave & Soap Co.
House of Mammoth

JabonMan Eufros

Lodrino
Los Jabones De Joserra

MacDuff's Soap Company

Oaken Lab

Spearhead Shaving Company

Tallow + Steel

WestMan Shaving
Wholly Kaw

Zingari Man

Last edited:
Pardon my lack of knowledge, I am still learning about DE shaving, but what is the advantages/disadvantages in having tallow in the soap formula? Are there other ingredients that greatly affect the soap's performance?
Thanks for sharing your insights.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I was told by a reliable authority tallow is an easier fat to saponify than vegetable fats

Ok, i’ll bite. What does ‘easier to saponify’ mean, and why does it make a difference? Not bing flippant, just want to understand the reason why this makes a difference.

And why would ’easier to saponify’ make any difference in the end product given that the soap maker knows their stuff?

Maybe ‘harder to saponify’ yields a superior product? There is some evidence to support this, like non-tallow SV, MdC, Acqua di Parma, ABC, SMN, and almost every cream in existence.

Ok, i’ll bite. What does ‘easier to saponify’ mean, and why does it make a difference? Not bing flippant, just want to understand the reason why this makes a difference.

And why would ’easier to saponify’ make any difference in the end product given that the soap maker knows their stuff?

Maybe ‘harder to saponify’ yields a superior product? There is some evidence to support this, like non-tallow SV, MdC, Acqua di Parma, ABC, SMN, and almost every cream in existence.

I have no dog in this fight and also don't know the first darn thing about saponification. However, after using many different soaps, I've found that tallow based soaps perform very good to great at a higher rate than non-tallow soaps. And within brands that offer both tallow and non-tallow variants, I usually prefer the tallow.

Good tallow soaps also seem to be cheaper than good non-tallow soaps, in my experience. However, both SV and Abbatte Y La Mantia hard soap perform as well as any tallow I've used and they are both vegetable based.

As always, ymmv.

Top Bottom