What's new

Are we seeing the end of animal based products

As long a people want meat to eat, be it game they hunt, be raised on ranch, or buy people because they enjoy being self sufficient.

Product with animal bi products will be available.

I tell those who talk about going green, or being vegan, or vegetterian.

You are free to do as you wish, by the way I am also free to do what I wish as long as it was and is lawful.

On the morbid side of things with the obesity epidemic maybe there’s a market for fat harvesting and use that fat to make soaps. Just saying. I know I could sell a few pounds of my fat to help the cause.

Tyler Durden already beat you to it 😉.

(For those unfamiliar with the movie Fight Club, there was a character in the movie who stole the remnants of liposuction surgeries and used it to make expensive soap)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It has not been an issue for me to date. I buy soap based on performance. I'm currently using MdC and SV - both wonderful soaps without tallow, but I really don't care about the tallow one way or the other.

My favorite brushes are badger. I have a Wald and it wouldn't end my world if I had to use a synthetic of that quality daily, but it's my #4 brush, so it wouldn't make my socks roll up and down either.

I respect everyone's choice. I'm not a vegetarian (although I was for about 5 years back in the day) and like my badger brushes and leather coats, but it's not a life or death matter for me either way. Plastic doesn't grown in the garden either. Everything has a cost. I respect anyone's fervor on the issue, but it's not at the top of my list. I have other things I'm ardent about and I only have so much ram to work with.

I personally am not comfortable with how badgers are treated when farmed so I switched to synthetics.
Perhaps you already knew this, but just in case you did not, there are at least two makers in Europe which use ethically harvested badger hair coming from badgers raised in European farms.

Perhaps you already knew this, but just in case you did not, there are at least two makers in Europe which use ethically harvested badger hair coming from badgers raised in European farms.

I was wondering if someone would shave some badgers like sheep.

Then it would be some kind of beautiful cycle of shaving.

I saw some gorgeous handbags made of shell leather for 500-600$...and then I see the PVC embossed bags going for more...people aren't stupid, some people know what quality is.

My pre de provance soap is not tallow based and it has a fine glide quality and its easy enough and cheap enough to get...so I'm rolling with it loyally.

Who are they?
Current production from Thiers-Issard, they use badger and boar sourced from Europe. Also, Plisson has some offerings, although they do have knots from China as well.

I was wondering if someone would shave some badgers like sheep.

Then it would be some kind of beautiful cycle of shaving.
If that would be possible, it would be great, indeed. Horse hair is harvested like this.
But then, at least where I live, badgers live in the forests nearby (1-2 minutes away from me) and there have been cases where dog owners killed them because the badgers would run after their (unleashed) dogs, so the badgers died for nothing. Killing an animal for no good reason is simply not okay.

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, the dopey cows will eat dry hay before eatin green grass? you rather nice fresh lettuce? or dry bran?
and ya better get a good dentist, chewin ya cud is gunna be a bint onya teef :p
I was a diabetic, I guess I’ll just have to keep eating the cow rather than have diabetes return AND lose my teeth.

Coming back to the forum after a while and running out of several old classics, I notice several things are shifting. Kent had stopped making badger before I stopped posting but now I read that you might not be able to buy them in Australia anymore. Several of the old tallow soaps are reformulated to exclude them. Tabac, MWF, etc. Are we in the last days of animal products in shaving products? If so, what do you think about it?

sorry if this has been discussed, my feeble search fu didn’t find anything.
FWIW, the very short answer is: Yep.

That said a bit more information is warranted. Based upon what I'm seeing around the world, world economy and the literal war on eliminating small scale farming, ranching, as well, factory farming you will see a shortage of both animal and vegetable based products. As I see it the first casualty will be animal based products used in niche spaces like wet shaving because of the regulatory infringements on raising livestock and the skyrocketing prices surrounding production. Further veggie based alternatives are more varied and available from a formulation perspective and I think because of this, there's a longer time frame in which to see these available.

My "opinion" is not simply what I think. See for yourself and watch the news. Do a bit of poking around and you'll find the foregoing has been going on for a bit of time now. It is getting worse almost by the day. It is not my intention to be alarmist, I think this is simply a realistic view/conclucsion based upon world events and what we're being told.

This is a knotty topic overall and there are many branches that contribute to the complexity of it.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Not in my house. 100% of my brushes are boar and 100% of my soaps are tallow based. Also one of my brushes (on order, actually) has an elk horn handle.

I saw some gorgeous handbags made of shell leather for 500-600$...and then I see the PVC embossed bags going for more...people aren't stupid, some people know what quality is.

My pre de provance soap is not tallow based and it has a fine glide quality and its easy enough and cheap enough to get...so I'm rolling with it loyally.
Haven't seen a Pre de Provence bar of soap for a minute now. That said my favorite for the shower was Lemon Verbena and Lavender. Indeed a very satisfying soap to use for washing up. Would love to find one and take it for a shaving ride.

Ah...memories.

Top Bottom