What's new

Which Shaving Soaps still contain Tallow?

The old Speick stick had tallow, the new formulation does not. I have and use both, and they are both excellant performers.
Well, I guess that's sorted out for the list right there, then. I use both Speick stick and cream occasionally, both perform well, but I actually never payed attention to the tallow question before in the case of Speick.

Good to know. I read on a thread here that it was going vegan.
I will not guarantee that Vitos are not planning to change things. I am just referring to the Gifts&Care web site, where it (still) says that Vitos contains tallow.
I would like to stock up on Vitos with Tallow, but I already have 5 kg of Cella brick just in case Cella starts changing things, and I think Vitos and Cella are a lot alike. Storing 10 Kg of Italian Croap for personal use is getting to be a bit ridiculous ...
But certainly, if you know of Vitos being about to change things, do keep us posted.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I will not guarantee that Vitos are not planning to change things. I am just referring to the Gifts&Care web site, where it (still) says that Vitos contains tallow.
I would like to stock up on Vitos with Tallow, but I already have 5 kg of Cella brick just in case Cella starts changing things, and I think Vitos and Cella are a lot alike. Storing 10 Kg of Italian Croap for personal use is getting to be a bit ridiculous ...
But certainly, if you know of Vitos being about to change things, do keep us posted.
Do you freeze it? I’m only at 1 kilo of each, but, I’m thinking about a kilo of the Vito’s + Coco since I have the basic red now. Vito’s is my favorite soap, but, I’m 60 and shave every other day… 2 kilos of croap, 24 sticks or Arko, and 7 Arko pucks… pretty sure I already have a lifetime supply of soap.

I am just referring to the list I cited. It has "Potassium tallowate" as the third ingredient for the Speick stick. Whether that listing has been updated recently, I don't know. So I guess it is important to have a discriminating eye to the quality of the sources of information. I don't have a new stick of Speick at home in its cardboard box with the ingredients listed on it.
I don't have a strong desire for or against putting the Speick stick on the list, but I wonder where you get the information from that Speick does not contain tallow ...?
Potassium tallowate is tallow that had been saponified with Potassium hydroxide. 👍

Interesting conversation. I plan on making some shave soap for myself and haven't been focused too much on Tallow just because it's not popular these days in the handmade soap business. I think it has a place in shave soaps due to it's high stearic acid content which contributes to that great, velvety, stable lather we all crave, and the goodwill for Tallow in a forum that celebrates tradition. Most current recipes just add straight stearic acid as the main ingredient. Coco butter and Soy wax and some other vegetable waxes have super high stearic acid content but they can cause the soap to be too hard if not properly used.

I'll have to source some tallow from the internet!

I spent a bunch of time researching soaps with tallow last year and eventually a pattern emerged: my favorite soaps contain tallow and coconut oil.

Tabac with tallow (Connaught still has) and D.R. Harris (contains coconut acid) are nice. Right now, I am stuck on Stirling Unscented with Beeswax.

I spent a bunch of time researching soaps with tallow last year and eventually a pattern emerged: my favorite soaps contain tallow and coconut oil.

Tabac with tallow (Connaught still has) and D.R. Harris (contains coconut acid) are nice. Right now, I am stuck on Stirling Unscented with Beeswax.
Do they really? It's showing up as vegan for the tabac puck refills on the site for me.

Darn! Connaught is now out of stock. I checked last week and they still had stock.

1706384292625.png

Ok, i’ll bite. What does ‘easier to saponify’ mean, and why does it make a difference? Not bing flippant, just want to understand the reason why this makes a difference.

And why would ’easier to saponify’ make any difference in the end product given that the soap maker knows their stuff?

Maybe ‘harder to saponify’ yields a superior product? There is some evidence to support this, like non-tallow SV, MdC, Acqua di Parma, ABC, SMN, and almost every cream in existence.
Tallow isn't a magic ingredient that guarantees an amazing soap and veggie soaps can be just as high performing as established tallow soaps...That said, it's much easier to make a good soap with tallow than it is with vegetal alternatives. A talented soap maker can absolutely pull it off, but nonetheless their appears to be a higher skill ceiling to pull of veggy soaps. This can easily explain your being able to name a handful of upper tier veggy soaps compared to the plethora of incredible tallow bases, most of which are far more affordable to boot.

Most of the trash soaps I've ended up using as bath soaps have been tallow free formulations from hobbyists. Among those same hobbyists I don't often encounter tallow soaps that aren't at least decent even within the same brand. I'd wager that discrepancy would taper off and perhaps even eventually disappear as you moved away from hobbyists and toward established professionals.

My aunt is the owner of Sego Lilly soaps said something along the lines of the following when I asked her about this "tallow isn't necessary better, just less fussy.

P.S. creams don't undergo the saponification process.

I only use Tallow soaps didn’t realize there was such a push to go without the tallow really.
Tallow costs me $5 per pound, Palm Oil $3, and pure stearic acid costs $2 per pound. Tallow is just less profitable. Now Lard is cheap. Interested in some lard soap! :)

If it were only about cost...
MWF was a £9 soap sold for £5. They could have easily mark it up to £7 or £8 and keep us happy. In my uneducated opinion.
As @Dtownvino said, I don’t mind paying more for something I enjoy. It is all about value. And some soaps have been devalued after reformulation.

Top Bottom