What's new

Review for Terry's Soap

5E49A0EF-7BFD-44D8-BE95-298A397C2C2B.jpeg

Review for Terry's Soap

Hi guys.

I am from South Korea and have been wet shaving for about two years.

I would like to introduce one of the sets from Terry's Soap, which is from Korea.

As I mentioned before on SOTD section, in South Korea, there is no soap artisan but Terry.

Terry, the only Korean soap artisan, makes incredible soaps and aftershave splashes and the one I want to talk about is Silent Season.

• General Look

When I got the package, I cut open the box, took the set out, took a photo of it and edited with Photoroom app.
I think that the label describes winter suitably.
It is the image that describes very moody, lonely winter very well.
When it is cold, streets are quiet so very silent, which means people tend to stay inside.

• Scent

The scent is inspired by L’immonsite from Louis Vitton.
I didn’t think that it would suit winter this much.
When we say winter, we imagine heavy, warm feeling from woody notes, vanilla, tonka bean and so on. However, it breaks that prejudice. Personally, I think it surely suits winter very much.

The scent starts with citrusy notes followed by floral and herbal notes giving off aromatic and green smell. Lastly it ends with warm amber, which is said to be made from a mixture of labdanum, balsam, benzoin, vanilla, fir and so on. That’s why I feel a little bit of woody smell. So in general, it smells gorgeous with the various categories of scents well mixed.

As I said above, the label represents loneliness but at the same time, the general scent makes me think that if someone gave off this smell, he must be a splendid gentleman.

IMO, the strength of the scent is 6 out of 10 and longevity is 8.

It is a well balanced performance.

• Lather

IMG_3526.jpeg

When it comes to the lather, we can make thick, sticky lather or thin lather depending on the amount of water.
Most of soaps show some weakness when they make thin lather but whether it is thin or not, Terry’s Soap provides great quality of it, which leads to high slickness and therefore wonderful gliding of razors.

I guess it is because of the features of horse fat(oil).
Horse oil, the base of Terry’s Soap, is so safe on our skin.
It is said to have unsaturated fatty acid, contain protein, water, and lots of vitamin E, have smoothness and good spreadability to make thin film on the skin surface. It is also similar to human's fat so very human-friendly. Finally it has some ingredients which constitute a skin barrier.

That's why the performance is that good thanks to those features and it doesn't irritate the skin at all.

output_3631604009.jpeg

Anyway, even if the lather is thick, its slickness is killing. I dare compare it with the one from Macduff's Soap. I prefer the soap from Terry's Soap in some respects.

Residual slickness is also so good that I can touch up some hair left without any irritation. I believe that this is a very important factor because I often cut mostly with just mediocre soap when touching up.

• General Review

Everybody has different tastes, levels of sensibility of sense of touch, sense of smell and skin conditions, etc. Therefore I intentionally searched for any weakness of the soaps and splashes from this brand. But nothing has been found.

I have put this brand to my Top 3 brands even though I have used its soap only a few times. I guarantee that you won't get disappointed when you use some products from Terry's Soap.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I will get back to you.

Thank you for reading such a long review.

Your review is much appreciated. Good to see a local Korean artisan. Spicy Wood sounds interesting.

The website is HWAYEON SOAP CO. - https://www.hwayeon.co.kr/

Thank you brother

According to the artisan, the soaps are under improvement for the new base which has been applied to Christmas Edition recently. It is amazing I will leave another review for it soon.

And the webpage is being developed for overseas customers for soaps which are already on sale on another platforms that is only in Korean.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It is a well balanced performance.

This is a poor review that reads like an advertisement.

All the rest is something that reads like scent, lather, etc is ‘WONDERFUL’!

I am all for new makers with new products, but this review will make me run away.

I am all for new makers with new products, but this review will make me run away.

well very sorry for that

But honestly I don't lie at all.

If the soap didn't work well, I would say it is bad or I wouldn't leave this review at all.

I leave reviews when products are very good because I don't want shavers to experience bad products.

I want all shavers to experience wonderful products.

I like ETHOS Grooming Essentials, Macduff's Soap Co., Joserra, etc.

I have plans to leave each review for each brand. And I am sure that I will say wonderful wonderful wonderful again.

Thanks for the detailed review!

I've heard a lot of great reviews of Terry's Soap, I know it uses a lot of high-end ingredients. The Wet Shaving Store carries a few scents, this soap is on my list to try at some point.

Oh have you??

yeah TRC and TWSS have some of them.

You won't be disappointed once you use some.

Thank you for the reply!!

Maybe this (review) could satisfy you:) -

BTW Mare Milk (horse fat) is also used in TGFS "Re Nero", so I can imagine how it "works" here :) .. and really can expect the "wow" effect :) ..

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I've never heard of this maker. I'll see about ordering some.
BTW Mare Milk (horse fat) is also used in TGFS "Re Nero", so I can imagine how it "works" here :) .. and really can expect the "wow" effect :) ..

Thank you guys for reading my review.

Mare milk is amazing. I didn't expect it to be that good because I had been used to only tallow base but this milk broke my bias.

I hope you guys shave joyfully!

Thank you guys for reading my review.

Mare milk is amazing. I didn't expect it to be that good because I had been used to only tallow base but this milk broke my bias.

I hope you guys shave joyfully!
Shannon's has goat milk, but it also has tallow. I think a number of makers use fatty milks of one kind or another. Women have been putting it on their faces for centuries, probably.

Hmmm... I see that I need to correct my post... in one of the reviews of the soap I read that it contains Mare Milk and in another review/description - Horse Fat, and I went too far in my interpretation, thinking that they were one and the same... unfortunately not: (

So I apologize for misleading you.

As for Marek Milk, I am delighted with the properties of Re Nero both during and after shaving :) - but this is a different story .. - better described in thread regarding TGS soaps :)

As for Horse Hat - you can read here on Wiki... Horse ointment - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_ointment in general, it is a very fashionable ingredient in Korean cosmetics (sample of descriptive text) WTH is Horse Fat and why is it in our skincare? — Project Vanity - http://www.projectvanity.com/projectvanity/horse-fat

Hmmm... I see that I need to correct my post... in one of the reviews of the soap I read that it contains Mare Milk and in another review/description - Horse Fat, and I went too far in my interpretation, thinking that they were one and the same... unfortunately not: (

So I apologize for misleading you.

As for Marek Milk, I am delighted with the properties of Re Nero both during and after shaving :) - but this is a different story .. - better described in thread regarding TGS soaps :)

As for Horse Hat - you can read here on Wiki... Horse ointment - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_ointment in general, it is a very fashionable ingredient in Korean cosmetics (sample of descriptive text) WTH is Horse Fat and why is it in our skincare? — Project Vanity - http://www.projectvanity.com/projectvanity/horse-fat

the ingredients listed on the label on Terry's Soap has Mare Milk so you will be delighted again :)

I will ask Terry and make sure that the base is mare milk.

I will leave another review on HP&S soap and splash.

This is the first soap and splash from Terry's Soap I bought and have used since last year.

Let's take a look first.

• Appearance
1706448350.930575.jpeg

They are what I got last year, pre-shave oil, shaving soap and splash.

They look very simple but have a classy design and a colour impression.

I like chestnut colour so much that I have a suit in that colour lol.

Let's look at some photos I used for SOTD.

1706448452.332926.jpeg
1706448481.10845.jpeg

They are very beautiful, aren't they?

• Scents
The scents are inspired by Sauvage of Dior.

Below is the notes.

IMG_4136.jpg

It has bergamot and pepper but I can't feel pepper at first.

The sweet but a little bit sour citrus scent comes first.
When I smell this top scent the beach in summer comes to mind.

Anyway, the festival for flowers is held in the middle note. Pepper I couldn't feel in the top feels here clearly but it is not strong.
In my opinion, pink pepper, pachouli and geranium boost the floral smell with rosy nuance.

Spicy and aromatic floral scents mix fantastically.

If we smell sweet, floral notes a lot, we will be sick of them so some woody and complicated scents from Cedar, ambroxan and labdanum prevents the whole scent from being boring.

Smelling this soap and splash, I feel as if I were lying down on a sun bed on a beach, drinking Bergamot Martini and Flower Shop, and relaxing and enjoying watching the sea.

When I go to work smelling the splash applied on the skin, I get very relaxed and it reduces stress I get from work.
Actually it serves as aromatherapy to me.

If you are the ones who wear perfume after shaving, then Acqua Essenziale Blu of Salvatore Ferragamo will suit this scent.

• Lather
Let's start with the formulation of this soap.

It is not soft at all but not firm. It is somewhere between soft and firm.

What I can tell is that you can load directly from the jar.

I prefer to scoop some out, put it in a bowl and start to lather.

output_2114614814.jpg

The lather is made very easily. I have used Macduff's Soap, ETHOS, Noble Otter, Haslinger and etc but I haven't been able to lather as easily as this soap.

You don't have to worry about the amount of water because both thick and thin lather perform greatly.
That's why I recommend some beginners to get some soap from Terry's Soap.

output_2442644557.jpg
output_1920242281.jpg

On the left you can see the thick lather from less water and watery one from more water.

But whatever formulation it shows after lathering, I had no problem with shaving.

Nice slickness but not greater than the 'Silent Season' I posted above because the residual slickness is slightly weaker.

The soaps including Silent Season released since last November have a better formula than previous ones including HP&S.

In my honest opinion, the performance of this soap is very similar to that of Noble Otter.

When I shave with Two Kings of NO, I feel just like that, good slickness but weak residual slickness a little bit.

But I still think that it is STILL good soap compared to many different soaps out there.

The previous soaps have been released with the new same formula as new ones so this one will be better if I buy the new one.

• After-shave Splash
The splash is what I highly recommend. It can be comparable to the one of ETHOS.
Witch Hazel, allantoin, aloe vera extract, hyaluronic acid, panthenol, glycerin, and madecassoside moisturise and soothe the irriated skin and have anti-inflammatory action.

After getting the splash on the skin, it quickly becomes very soft and smooth.

• Conclusion
Some will not like this soap and splash if they don't prefer spices in scents but can try because floral scent is stronger.

But the performance of both is great but the latest version is much better than the previous one.

I have plans to review the sets of the new version in the near future so I can compare to each other.

Some may think that I'm advertising a brand but trust me. I don't get anything from Terry for this review.

The items I have reviewed are what I bought with my own money.

I'm just writing my thought about this set and this brand. I want to share another good brand to shavers around the world
because the soaps and splashes are worth try, very nice.

Thank you for reading the long review folks!

Attachments

• output_1920242281.jpg
    output_1920242281.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • output_1920242281.jpg
    output_1920242281.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Top Bottom