What's new

Next Razor

Hey everyone,

Since getting into the DE razor scene it took me a while to become happy with using a DE safety razor.

I started out with an Edwin Jagger DE89 which I did like, but not love. I transitioned to a more aggressive razor with the Muhle R41 and did like that also but found it left me with razor burn.

Finally, I landed on the Gillette New LC and I have found this razor to give me the best balance with a 2 pass shave with minimal razor burn or irritation. I also developed my technique to a greater extent with this razor.

My beard is a somewhat coarse and heavy type, and I wish to give another razor a try to see if I can experience an even better shave. I like to use Gillette Silver Blue blades too.

Could anyone provide suggestions on some other razors to try?

If you like three piece razors, you get much better than a Gillette "Old". If you want to try an adjustable, the Fatboy is one of my favorites. You're going to get a lot of opinions, just take it all in and make up your own mind, or you can buy all of them.

If you like efficient open combs, you can never go wrong with the Fatip Grande/Piccolo. I have both, the only difference being the handle, and I rarely use anything other than my Grande in gunmetal. I just find myself wanting something more efficient. I do have an Ikon Tech, but it's a closed comb and therefore clogs easily on longer hair.

Gillette Slim/Fatboy/Super Adjustable or a Schick Krona.

I have zero experience with 3-piece razors, but I love these(except technically the fatboy as I haven't tried it yet, but I know it's similar obviously) razors.

I ended up leaving my adjustables set to 9 most of the time, but I love the smooth, close shave they give me, and being able to try it at different settings really helped me figure out what kind of aggressiveness I need/works best for me, and what zero pressure really meant. Before my Slim I'd only had a Weishi for 4 years.

Last edited:
If you like three piece razors, you get much better than a Gillette "Old". If you want to try an adjustable, the Fatboy is one of my favorites. You're going to get a lot of opinions, just take it all in and make up your own mind, or you can buy all of them.

The ball end Old Type was a "sleeper" for me. I bought one, used it once, then continued my infatuation with other razors. One morning I paired it with a Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless and I've been hooked ever since. We all have our varying likes and dislikes when it comes to razors but what I realized that day was how perfect (for me) this razor actually is. From weight and balance to overall length, degree of blade exposure, it nailed it and continues to do so.

Another vote for a Red Tip. Or you could go with the venerable Old Type. I recommend an early single ring 1906-1918.

With a coarse heavy beard, it takes razors with the most rigidity to provide the best shave. I recommend:

Old Type
NEW SC
Postwar Tech
Any Gillette TTO, including adjustables

Not in any particular order.

Get a Slim or FatBoy (depending on your available cash, Slim's are cheaper) and see what sort of blade gap you like. Or any of the vintage Gillettes or other TTO razors, with the caveat that Schick Krona's are rather mild even for vintage.

Open combs of any type may work better with a heavy beard -- I don't have that problem, mine is pretty sparse.

Peter

If you like efficient open combs, you can never go wrong with the Fatip Grande/Piccolo. I have both, the only difference being the handle, and I rarely use anything other than my Grande in gunmetal. I just find myself wanting something more efficient. I do have an Ikon Tech, but it's a closed comb and therefore clogs easily on longer hair.

+1
Plus they are brass, inexpensive and great, efficient shavers.

For a coarse beard nothing is better than R41. If it gives you irritation probably you apply too much pressure.
Also you can try a Merkur Futur.

I agree with EternalBachelor and I fully endorse the Fatip Piccolo....This Italian Stallion punches way above its weight.

Last edited:
I generally agree with the comments and the recommendations above, except for the Schick Krona. It shaves similar to a Gillette Tech. It's a good razor, but I would not recommend it for a coarse tough beard.

I've got a pretty heavy beard. I can grow a full beard in around 4 to 5 days.

Last week I was sick as a dog. I could barely move, much less get out of bed to shave. I let my beard go for 3 full days between shaves and that's at least 1 more day than I will usually go with it (I skip days when I have a day off... just cuz I don't love to shave). I was pretty gnarly on day 3, when I finally went to see the doctor.

I showered (also for the 1st time in 3 days) and shaved for the doctor.... shaving with my new, trusty RR German slant. I had A LOT of hair to cut, believe me. Two passes, and a little buffing on the rough spots and I looked fresh as a daisy. This razor will blow you away if you have (what you think) is a tough beard. Just mows the hair down with ease, no irritation and no weepers.

People on here will tell you that it's all technique and that the tool doesn't make that much difference. I used to believe that until I got this razor 6 weeks ago. A game changer. I won't use any of my other razors. This was a HUGE step up in razor.

For twenty bucks (with a stainless steel handle yet!) you cannot beat this thing. Trust me.

Top Bottom