What's new

Razor Burn Question (newbie)

In my case helped:
- proper lather, I used first too thick and sticky lather, only after longer time learned to ad much more water, to work much more with brush and finally now prefer thin and slicky layer, first months also my skin get irritations from some brushes
- razor with positive blade exposure, not have to be aggressive, but at least +0.03mm better around 0.05mm (like Overlander, or cheap Dovo Primo), it helped me because easier to find right angle and to more precise feel of blade, how does it cut, and to find what works best for me, it is also little different on different part of face and also I use different angle for WTG and ATG this all is much more difficult to find and understand with mild razor and neutral blade exposure (for me it was so, YMMV of course)
- don't do changes every day, do as little variables as possible, if I learn new razor I try to use daily same brush, same soap same blade for at least 3 days and slowly change only angle of cut, starting with known milder blades and after couple days with sharper, some razors works much better with sharper blade as with Astra SP for example
- it needs time, probably months … winners never quit, & quitters never win…

So ironic you posted this (I will go check it out in a few) because I just had the best wet shave since I started!! I had to take a picture of my sink area when I finished I was so happy. I deviated from the norm since I got so much razor burn last time. I used the Henson (mild) with a feather blade and products seen in the picture. I took advice from everyone here special thanks to @blethenstrom, @musicman1951, @Hopalong, @Proper Irish, @D T Law, @Jay21, and everyone else I missed that I’ve read posts and received comments from. The biggest thing I did differently, besides the blade change and new soap/cream & brush/bowl from @dotKomo was I used the lightest of pressure, so much so that I didn’t think it would work but it did and the razor and blade did their jobs beautifully with no nicks, weepers, or irritation (other than a mild sting from the alum). It wasn’t a BBS but I would say a DFS for me! So back to your comment, I was wondering if I used a more aggressive razor - eventually - would I get a closer to BBS shave. I don’t need BBS but just a bit closer because this time took me 3 passes and a couple touch ups but I am so happy and am hopeful that by decreasing pressure I can eliminate the irritation and redness while getting a DFS. Thanks again!
View attachment 1818840
Thank you for those kind words. I'm happy that we can be of assistance. I'm also very happy that you have had some very good shaves. For the time being I still would be careful to introduce to much variability. I would work on your lather and make sure your get a nice slick lather. Also play a bit with the angles of your razor like like @tomas1870 suggested. By doing this you will get closer and closer shave with the same razor that you have. This is not to say that you might not prefer a more aggressive razor in the future, but for the time being work on technique. You will get there much quicker if you do that first. Hang in there. You are getting there.

I won't mix things up too much now that I know I can accomplish a DFS but I will work on technique and angles. As far as the lathering is concerned, I haven't decided if I like a thicker or thinner lather yet but have tried both. :clap: Thanks again!

Just my two cents....

I got my worst razor burn with carts. I think it was too much pressure, but more importantly too many passes. I couldn't nick myself and definitely not cut myself with a cart, so, I whacked-away at my face....pass after pass.

I get very little razor burn with DE. When I do it's from Pushing-It....trying to get a total BBS. I get BBS all the time, but, sometimes not. I try not to push-it on those nights.

Ain't This Fun!! :biggrin1:

Just my two cents....

I got my worst razor burn with carts. I think it was too much pressure, but more importantly too many passes. I couldn't nick myself and definitely not cut myself with a cart, so, I whacked-away at my face....pass after pass.

I get very little razor burn with DE. When I do it's from Pushing-It....trying to get a total BBS. I get BBS all the time, but, sometimes not. I try not to push-it on those nights.

Ain't This Fun!! :biggrin1:
It is a blast and I’m psyched, I just got another amazing shave tonight! I don’t have anything to compare it to but I think I hit the BBS mark on the cheeks (not the neck or mouth area) but this is 2 nights in a row with an amazing shave, the best shave ever last night and tonight. No nicks or weepers last night and a tiny little weeper on the fold of my chin that went away after alum tonight. I totally changed the amount of pressure I use and slowed down. It’s literally like retraining my muscle memory on how to wet shave with DE vs cartridge. The new gear I won on here has been amazing too - courtesy of @dotKomo (the brush, bowl, and Castle Forbes shave cream have elevated my experience). I took some tips from folks on here especially @blethenstrom and things are falling into place. Thanks for the guidance. 👍🪒

It is a blast and I’m psyched, I just got another amazing shave tonight! I don’t have anything to compare it to but I think I hit the BBS mark on the cheeks (not the neck or mouth area) but this is 2 nights in a row with an amazing shave, the best shave ever last night and tonight. No nicks or weepers last night and a tiny little weeper on the fold of my chin that went away after alum tonight. I totally changed the amount of pressure I use and slowed down. It’s literally like retraining my muscle memory on how to wet shave with DE vs cartridge. The new gear I won on here has been amazing too - courtesy of @dotKomo (the brush, bowl, and Castle Forbes shave cream have elevated my experience). I took some tips from folks on here especially @blethenstrom and things are falling into place. Thanks for the guidance. 👍🪒
Another win on the books! Fantastic!

Welcome to the brotherhood!

I used to get a lot of irritation with the Henson. It actually never got it to work properly, it just scrapped my face or I had to do many passes to get a decent shave. I finally tried a different razor and works like a charm. I don’t even have to be too mindful of prep anymore

I don't have too much experience with differently aggressive razors, but i do with blades. With milder blades, i found myself having to go more often over the same spot, than with the more aggressive one.

So it might be that you go more often over some trouble spots, now that you're using a milder razor.

On another note, if razor burn persists. Have you tried using cold water? Everything changed for me when i started to use cold water. It makes the skin tighter, personally giving me a closer, smoother shave. Making razor burn way less likely to happen

I have to say, I changed my pressure a lot and angle a bit and wow I have had some really good results and progress over the past week! I'm not using "cold water" but I am also not using super hot water like I was initially. I really toned the temperature down, except for my initially hot towel to the face I use just warm water and cold for the finish rinse. Thanks for the tips!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have to say, I changed my pressure a lot and angle a bit and wow I have had some really good results and progress over the past week! I'm not using "cold water" but I am also not using super hot water like I was initially. I really toned the temperature down, except for my initially hot towel to the face I use just warm water and cold for the finish rinse. Thanks for the tips!
I used hot towels for a while, but now I just have a shower before a shave. In the warmer months I use a cold towel, I find it's nice and refreshing.

Top Bottom