What's new

PannaCrema Nuavia Passaround - round 2

Now the lather looks perfect for my tastes [MENTION=78901]NyquistRate[/MENTION], it could pass the OPANOR test (neologism :) One Pass No Rinse), just like [MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION] did. In my opinion, don't look for slickness, but for stickyness! At least in the first pass, you want the razor to stick to your skin and with the help of a sharp blade to mow down all the hair, without ever jumping and skipping spots.

For the second pass, what I do is I rinse my face, so the lather thins a bit because of the added water, and that's perfect for going against the grain. Finally for the third and last pass I don't rinse to avoid thinning the lather even more. It works for me with safety razors, especially well with single edges. With straight razors I prepare a slightly wetter lather, but that's because I'm no good with straights and I look for slickness to compensate for the lack of manual dexterity.

No rocket science here, just a matter of personal preferences. Looking after your Rossa shave ;)

That looks like a really good lather to me. Mine is a little bit wetter than that and feels very slick and protective at the same time. Do you have a different razor with an open comb to try perhaps? I think you're so close to a perfect shave just by looking at the pictures. So close!

I do, a Muhle R41 (2013). However, I stuck with the Standard b/c it's my most frequently used razor. Haven't used "The Beast" in a while.

Yeah, when I make the lather that thick I usually tend to get a better shave and it really lets the qualities of the soap shine. My face felt great after that shave and it still does a few hours later. I sometimes go with a little more water but not much more and not nearly what you were showing in your earlier pictures. This isn't a recipe for just this soap as I do the same thing with all of my soaps.

The lather in your later photos looked great.

I generally add just a tiny bit more water than that for personal taste. I am very much a proponent of building the lather by adding water rather than using the Marco Method. And yes, Nuavia is outstanding with how much water it can accept. Regardless of how you like your lather, it can perform quite well if not excellent. I find adding just a bit more than the above gets it perfect for me.

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to make as dry of a lather as possible at the advice here. I usually shave with a much wetter lather (similar to my very first pic) as I'm trying to learn straight razors. The glide helps there.

Now the lather looks perfect for my tastes @NyquistRate, it could pass the OPANOR test (neologism :) One Pass No Rinse), just like @dfoulk did. In my opinion, don't look for slickness, but for stickyness! At least in the first pass, you want the razor to stick to your skin and with the help of a sharp blade to mow down all the hair, without ever jumping and skipping spots.

For the second pass, what I do is I rinse my face, so the lather thins a bit because of the added water, and that's perfect for going against the grain. Finally for the third and last pass I don't rinse to avoid thinning the lather even more. It works for me with safety razors, especially well with single edges. With straight razors I prepare a slightly wetter lather, but that's because I'm no good with straights and I look for slickness to compensate for the lack of manual dexterity.

No rocket science here, just a matter of personal preferences. Looking after your Rossa shave ;)

I missed my shave this morning, so I'll give this a try after work.

Thanks [MENTION=78901]NyquistRate[/MENTION], [MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION], and [MENTION=52339]MrDentini[/MENTION]. The pix and explanation are really very helpful. I practiced loading and lathering today in anticipation.

I still don't see how lather that dries out by the end of the shave is going to stay slick.
I haven't used Nuavia, but with other soaps I find that a thicker lather is less likely to dry out than a thinner one, at least for me. It may be a preference thing, or a water thing, but when soaps are "thirsty" I usually don't care for them. I like my lather to be closer to the consistency of mayo than cool whip. For me, any time a lather explodes in volume, the lather looks awesome, but the shaves are meh.

GAAAAH! I go dark for a couple months and I missed the next one.

Oh well, really enjoying the reviews from everyone.

If you want in I'll let you add your name....

0. dfoulk - shipped 6/24/2016
1. elvergun - shipped box on 7/5/2016
2. xillion - shipped box on 7/11/2016
3. JAM62377 - shipped box on 7/19/2016
4. NyquistRate - in possession
5. Grundi
6. bobmsp
7. Kaidoh
8. David2340
9. Chumango
10. lloydrm
11. paintflinger
12. Smattayu
13. sfeile
14. Lfs70
15. Thundert65
16. Parjay
17. JayEddie
18. Handjam
19. JSouthard825
21. back to dfoulk

Just add your name in spot 20 and repost the list and you're in.

I haven't used Nuavia, but with other soaps I find that a thicker lather is less likely to dry out than a thinner one, at least for me. It may be a preference thing, or a water thing, but when soaps are "thirsty" I usually don't care for them. I like my lather to be closer to the consistency of mayo than cool whip. For me, any time a lather explodes in volume, the lather looks awesome, but the shaves are meh.

I was referencing the photos above when he went with the super thick lather. It was drying out towards the end. I usually test lather by leaving it on my face and letting the beard soften. If it doesn't dry out the way it did in the photos, the lather was good.

If you want in I'll let you add your name....

Just add your name in spot 20 and repost the list and you're in.

THANK YOU! :w00t: :w00t:

0. dfoulk - shipped 6/24/2016
1. elvergun - shipped box on 7/5/2016
2. xillion - shipped box on 7/11/2016
3. JAM62377 - shipped box on 7/19/2016
4. NyquistRate - in possession
5. Grundi
6. bobmsp
7. Kaidoh
8. David2340
9. Chumango
10. lloydrm
11. paintflinger
12. Smattayu
13. sfeile
14. Lfs70
15. Thundert65
16. Parjay
17. JayEddie
18. Handjam
19. JSouthard825
20. WildWest74
21. back to dfoulk

It's difficult to tell from pictures until you go back and shave with the identical soap for comparison. Luckily I did that tonight and realized I like this soap much dryer than I thought according to the pictures I took in the 50+ thread. [MENTION=78901]NyquistRate[/MENTION] that is definitely too much water by about 10 drops or so. Do you face lather or do you have a lathering Bowl so you can load from the ceramic jar and then lather in a bowl with a small amount of water added to produce a creamier but dryer lather? Great pictures and reviews, I have learned a lot thank you!

It's difficult to tell from pictures until you go back and shave with the identical soap for comparison. Luckily I did that tonight and realized I like this soap much dryer than I thought according to the pictures I took in the 50+ thread. @NyquistRate that is definitely too much water by about 10 drops or so. Do you face lather or do you have a lathering Bowl so you can load from the ceramic jar and then lather in a bowl with a small amount of water added to produce a creamier but dryer lather? Great pictures and reviews, I have learned a lot thank you!

I face lather ~98% of my shaves as it provides a denser, creamy lather for me. This morning I bowl lathered, just for the sake of trying it and had a nice creamy lather. I usually introduce too much air with a bowl and it turns out foamier than face lathering. Not today. :001_smile

Pics of last night and this morning's shave to come.

Tuesday night's shave with Nuavia Red, starting at 644.9g:
$IMG_20160726_210525.jpg

SOTD including a new GSB. The B&B Essential boar even made an appearance:
$IMG_20160726_211127.jpg

Loaded dry & heavy, adding drops of water as I went:
$IMG_20160726_211552.jpg
$IMG_20160726_211601.jpg

Tuesday night's pass 1 (sticky) lather. I felt the blade but no irritation. Tried to work a little more water in than Monday night:
$IMG_20160726_212002.jpg$IMG_20160726_212011.jpg$IMG_20160726_212031.jpg

Did you catch the hand soap in the background? Oh, yeah. We 3017 ALL that stuff. :001_tt2:

Tuesday night's pass 2 ( added a little water so a little less sticky) lather. I felt the blade and min irritation. Check out this scary guy:

$IMG_20160726_212636.jpg

Okay, I was as little bored. We don't have to be serious ALL the time, right?

More lather shots:
$IMG_20160726_212643.jpg$IMG_20160726_212654.jpg

And some " One Pass No Rinse" pics for @MrDentini

$IMG_20160726_212925.jpg$IMG_20160726_212941.jpg

Tuesday night's pass 3 ( No additional water) lather and impressions. I felt the blade and min irritation:

$IMG_20160726_213300.jpg$IMG_20160726_213325.jpg

I applied lather to the face but didn't want to waste that creamy goodness so i squeezed all the larger out of the loft and threw it on top. It wasn't as nice as the first lather but still have a nice shave.

Razor pics:
$IMG_20160726_213554.jpg$IMG_20160726_213605.jpg

Look at that lather hanging on. I kept expecting it to fall but I was tired before it was.

Shave log notes:

Shave: okay shave at night despite steamy towel instead of shower for prep. felt blade, little irritation during shave. Protection: similar to Tabac and AoSt. Slickness: less than AoSt, no buff passes, less than KMF. little residual slickness. Lather: dry method. Used slung brush and loaded until pasty. face lathered. few clumps of soap. creamy yogurt lather on the face but thinner than first Nuavia shave. Face feel: little stubble left. some neck left hairs. skin soft, minimal tightness. min or very minor irritation, no dryness felt. no alum.

Night, all. Tomorrow I'll take my last shave of the pass around, ship the box and post my last two reviews of Nuavia.

Great pictures (love this one) and reviews!!! I've made that exact same face after nicking myself!! :straight:

Lol, thanks @Grundi. I've been wondering if people were tired of seeing my lathering pics so I took a few shots of the lather elasticity for the last two reviews. On the road today for college visits so i was rushed this morning. I really wanted to do a head-to-head with Nuavia vs AoSt/Valobra/C&S or Haslinger but didn't have time. Maybe someone after me will make a comparison to a well-known and top performing soap?

Last edited:
Top Bottom