What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF: Surf vs Turf - Battle of the Beast Blades!!

Yellow/Pink Flying Eagle #2, Shave #4

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Yellow/Pink Flying Eagle (4)
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Old Spice followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Excellent shave today with this setup, and it's the 4th shave with the y/p FEs. Zero nicks, weepers, or irritation at all. This could be the best shave yet with this blade. Very pleased.

I think I'm shave #4 on the stainless Flying Eagle. The first shave got away from me and I was wounded.

Afterwards I took it easier and got some pretty good shaves. It feels good shaving with this blade but I am consistently ending up with a nick or weeper. So far overall, I would rate Platinum Flying Eagle > Rhino > Stainless Flying Eagle > Swordfish.

All things considered, none of them are bad blades. Of course, I'm only using one razor for comparison. I would not hesitate to buy some of these in bulk for regular use.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7472.jpeg

Surf versus Turf Battle of the Beast Blades 2023.​

Sixth shave on my second dance with the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle Blade. Not a bad shave today. No nicks or weepers but I did have a couple of small red marks on my cheeks and a little more sting when I applied my Alum Block than yesterday. I think for some strange reason changing to Shaving Creams to finish the week out has helped me this time around with this blade.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7488.jpeg

My seventh shave on my second dance with the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade. Not bad today, I stuck with using Shaving Creams and my shave was fine. I did suffer from some sting when I used my Alum Block but I had no weepers, blood etc. This blade second time around seemed to go better with shaving creams rather than shaving soaps. I think it’s second dance with the Rhino blade starting tomorrow morning.

Rhino #2, Shave #1

Razor: Baili BD176
Blade: Rhino (1)
Soap: Frankensoap (1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Another excellent shave. I love this $7 razor. The Rhino did well for the first shave, and I know that it'll smooth out even more over subsequent shaves. I'd gladly buy a 100 pack of any of these blades. I've thoroughly enjoyed this PIF. The Rhino #2 is my last blade, and I've enjoyed every single shave from all of the blades - except the Jaws (because I didn't get on with it last year).

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7505.jpeg

First shave with my second dance of the Rhino Stainless blade. Not too bad of a shave this morning. I think these blades are sort of sleeper blades. They take a few shaves to hit the mark. I had no redness, nicks or weepers. I did have a little sting when I applied my Alum Block and I think last time I used this blade it took a few shaves to hit its straps. Not a bad start to the week for me at all.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7521.jpeg

Second shave on my second dance with the Rhino Stainless blade. Much the same as yesterday, I had a good shave, no weepers, nicks, blood etc but I had a little sting when I used my Alum Block. I quite like these blades so far, as I have mentioned before I think they take a few shaves to hit their straps.

Rhino #2, Shave #2

Razor: Pre-war Gillette Tech
Blade: Rhino (2)
Soap: PdP No. 63
Aftershave: Old spice followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Another very good shave today. I was in a hurry and ended up with a DFS. The blade certainly did its job and was smooth and sharp the whole time. I certainly have favorite blades, but I'm finding that the longer that I DE shave the more blades that I find acceptable. The only one that I have tried multiple times that continually didn't work was the Derby Extra. But these Chinese blades are very comfortable and efficient.

A few were good blades but for some reason the shipping is HIGH:w00t:
I found the Swordfish blades by searching for Shanghai Double Edge Razor blades I believe.?
Has anybody found a handy source for these? AliExpress might have the Jianyus, but I haven't been willing to take the plunge on them.
Interesting development on these blades...back in May, @LooneyToons816 sent me some Super Nacet Blades, which are available from several sources (although they could be NOS but newer NOS). These are Gillette Shanghai manufactured blades with the EXACT same shaped wrappers as the Beast Blades. The coating on the Super Nacets was platinum and I got some really nice shaves from them. They also had the same advertisement for the Vector Razor inside the wrapper. It appears that Gillette may be selling these blades under different names in different regional markets.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7537.jpeg

Third shave with my second dance with the Rhino Stainless blade this morning. A pretty good shave, fairly close and I did give myself a very small weeper in my chin. There was a little sting when I used my Alum Block but overall no dramas apart from the small weeper. I am off work for the rest of the week so I might go back and use shaving creams and see if this works like it did for me last week.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7553.jpeg

Fourth shave with my second time around with the Rhino Stainless blade. A really good shave today, I went with Palmolive Shaving Cream and just had a really good shave. No blood, no redness and hardly any sting when I applied my Alum Block. Funny how shaving creams seem to help me with these Chinese blades.

Rhino #2, Shave #3

Razor: Pre-war Gillette Tech
Blade: Rhino (3)
Soap: Frankensoap (1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh scent)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Not to sound like a broken record, but another excellent shave today. I would say that I haven't had a bad shave with any of these blades from this PIF.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7573.jpeg

Fifth shave on my second dance with the Rhino Stainless blade. I had a pretty good shave today. I did give myself a decent weeper on the right side of my neckline. Apart from that, it was close and fairly smooth. I had minimal sting when I applied my Alum Block today.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7636.jpeg

Sixth shave on my second dance with the Rhino Stainless blade. I had a pretty good shave today, no blood, weepers etc but I did finish up with some red marks on my cheeks. I did a little buffing that I probably didn’t need to do. The shave was close and a did have a little sting when I applied my Alum Block.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7672.jpeg

Seventh and final shave on my second dig with the Rhino Stainless blade. I did something today that I normally don’t do. I changed razors before Monday morning and I changed to an Open Comb razor. Also when doing these challenges I normally stick with the one razor so that I have the same razor to compare the blades with. Anyway, the shave was okay. I am not the best of friends with Open Comb razors so I went gently and the gentleness paid off. I had hardly any sting with the Alum Block.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7675.jpeg

My first use of the Jaws Platinum for this Battle. I have used these blades before in Shark Week and another Blade Battle and found them to be a pretty good blade for me. Normally I would use my trusty Gillette Flat Bottom Tech but I am having a crack at OCtober so I switched to my Merkur 25C. Open comb razors and I are not the best of friends so it will be interesting to see how long I last.

Top Bottom