What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF: Surf vs Turf - Battle of the Beast Blades!!

I hadn't shaved in about a week so I knew this one was going to be tough. I then found out that my wife somehow got mascara on my new shaving brush. Any thoughts on trying to remove that?

So I found an old bottle of KMF mint and got down to business. Originally I wasn't going to use the Flying Eagle, but try a second shave on another new-to-me blade. It was awful and tuggy and I barely shaved half a cheek.

I switched back to the stainless Flying Eagle. This one gave me nicks and weepers to begin with, but seems to have settled nicely for the third and fourth shave. The blade mowed down a weeks old beard no problem and felt great. Finished with some Aqua Velva.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7691.jpeg

Surf versus Turf Battle of the Beast Blades 2023.​

Second shave with the Jaws Platinum. Not a bad shave at all today. I did have a little sting on my right cheek when I applied my Alum Block but there was no blood, nicks or weepers. I don‘t mind this blade at all. I think at the moment it may be the pick out of all the blades in this battle.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7707.jpeg

Third shave this morning with the Jaws Platinum. I had a pretty good shave, no blood, nicks, weepers etc and very little sting when I applied my Alum Block. I just had a pretty good start to my Wednesday.

Jianyu Blade 2, Shave 2
Razor: RR SLOC
Blade: Jianyu (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Lather: Tabac
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter

Lather wasn’t quite right, not slick enough. Still an effective DFS result

IMG_2777.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7725.jpeg

Fourth shave with the Jaws Platinum blade this morning. I am still using my Merkur 25C and Tallow Tabac soap. I had another really good shave again this morning. No blood, weepers etc and very little sting when I applied my Alum Block. At this stage I could add the Jaws Platinum blades into a blade rotation.

Jianyu Blade #2, Shave #3
Razor: RazoRock Self Lubricating Open Comb
Blade: Jianyu (3)
Brush: DSCosmetics synthetic
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Lather: Tabac
Aftershave: Bootleggers Eldorado

This blade is cruising right along comfortably giving me smooth and efficient shaves.

IMG_2780.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7742.jpeg

Fifth shave this morning with the Jaws Platinum blade. Not bad today, I did give myself a weeper on the left side of my chin. Apart from that the shave was still close with very little sting when I applied my Alum Block. These blades are fine in my humble opinion.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7761.jpeg

Sixth shave this morning with the Jaws Platinum blade. I had another good shave this morning, no blood, weepers etc but I did have a little sting when I applied my Alum Block. These blades are pretty good. Smooth for me after a shave or two and they just seem to work fine.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I finished up my blades from this PIF a week ago and went to a different blade that I have previously very much enjoyed, and the experience was....less than excellent. It's a good blade, but in comparison to the FEs, the Rhino, and the Jianyu, it was much less smooth. I have said this before, and I'll repeat it that I could shave with these daily and be very satisfied. Thanks @Grundi.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7775.jpeg

Seventh and last shave with the Jaws Platinum blade this morning. What a difference a day makes. Todays shave was just okay. For me the sweet shaves for this blade was from shave three to six. It takes a coupe of shaves to mellow out, then it shaves very well and then dies quickly. I had no blood, weepers etc and a little sting when I applied my Alum Block but the shave was just. I could still feel stubble when I showered after my shave and at work when I ran my hand over my cheeks I could still feel stubble.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7791.jpeg

Surf versus Turf Battle of the Beast Blades Final Week.​

Surf versus turf battle of the beast blades final week this week. This Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade is my last blade in this battle. The usual start with this blade, I had a bit of sting when I used my Alum Block. I did have two small weepers on the right side of my chin and cheek but the shave was close. Hope fully this blade will hit is stride in the next shave or two.

Pink and Blue Frying Eagle last blade, last shave(3)

Blackland Blackbird
Grooming Dept Soap
Wald A1

full

This didn't go very well and I don't know why, the eagle used my neck to test its claws on! I had a rough, but bloodless, shave yesterday so I am not sure the Eagle is to blame. This was bloody and I would rather just forget about it and move on. I only did one pass, but put some work into my goatee area after the blood flowed because I needed to get that presentable. These weren't my favourite blade, but maybe middle of the pack. Not as sharp, but not magically smooth either.

I still feel like the Swordfish was my favourite of the bunch, go Team Surf! :w00t:
The Rhino and then maybe the other Flying Eagle would round out the podium. The Jaws gets a very disappointing last place medal, it was the one I was looking forward to trying the most unfortunately.

Thank's again to @AnimalCatcher @lasta @Chard52142 and @Grundi for another fun PIF! I am sorry that my posts have been sporadic as they usually are, but I did use up the blades.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7807.jpeg

Second shave with the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade this morning in the last week of this blade battle. Not a bad shave, I did open up one of the weepers from yesterday but it was nothing drastic. Hopefully this blade will settle down now for the rest of the week and perform well. I will know in the morning.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7824.jpeg

Third shave on my last Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade and the last week of this blade battle. I gave my self two weepers this morning, one on my chin and one under my nose. I also had a bit of sting when I used my Alum Block. I was hoping that this blade would mellow out and I hope that it still does. I have four shaves to go and I hope that all ends well.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7840.jpeg

Fourth shave this morning on my last blade in this Blade Battle. The Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade did not improve much from yesterday. I gave myself two weepers on my right cheek and I had a fair bit of sting when I used my Alum Block. I was hoping for this blade to mellow out in the last few shaves but I am sure that will happen. Oh well, only three shaves to go.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7855.jpeg

Fifth shave on my last blade of this Battle, the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle. No blood today which was great although I did have some sting when I used my Alum Block. I am hoping for the last two shaves to be bloodless to finish off this wonderful Blade Battle.

Top Bottom