What's new

September 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

GRUME Day! - "Looks like we made it"

Congratulations fellow GRUMErs! See you all in October as I am going for the coveted double. But I will never forget my first :) It was funnest!

Final shave was a quickie as I was going to skip today and go three days but it was coming in thick and I did not want to have to deal with multiple passes tomorrow as I am a one-and-done pass shaver with targeted touch ups.

Jack Black Beard Lube - Excellent stuff and no brush mess to clean up. Don't be fooled by its thinness
Gillette Nacet (7) - This blade is my favorite for my slants
Piccolo Closed Comb Slant (FCCS) - I love slants
The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Balm - This stuff is really nice, albeit too expensive nowadays
Bloc Osma alum - good for feedback on skin damage and antiseptic benefits

"That's all folks"

Last edited:
Well I sure didn’t make it, but I did show some restraint I almost pulled the trigger on lots of stuff but didn’t and for that little bit I’m proud, I’ll try again next month. But anyway last shave for the month.

SOTD: 09/30/2023

Razor: Gillette Ranger Tech
Blade: Personna Lab Blue, 2nd use
Brush: Rooney Style 3 Size 1 Pure Badger
Preshave: PAA The Cube 2.0
Soap: REX Supply Co. 1955
Aftershave: REX Supply Co. 1955
Additional Care: Thayer’s Lavender WH
Fragrance: YSL Body Kouros EdT
IMG_5974.jpeg

Still in!

I'm not sure if I'll shave today. Perhaps I'll save some stubble for the start of Tab-OC-tober 😊 I'll use Tabac for every second shave, same goes for the open comb razors...

Anyway, another GRUME month is in the books. Nine months straight in terms of restraint will be completed today, too.

I'm pretty satisfied with this result, the journey has been a rather relaxed one for me. The most important part of this enjoyment and distraction from buying just the next best thing is due to you fine guys! This thread absolutely has become a favourite of mine in course of the last two years.
The level of comrady and the sense of community over here is second to none. So I may take the chance to say "thank you" to all the participants...

Now, enjoy your weekend shaves!
Looking forward to meeting you in October (or November) GRUME.

Cheers
Guido
Nine months! Wow. I heartily echo your thankfulness for this thread. Gearing up for a committed October GRUME. Still haven’t selected my SOTM, and no, I don’t own any Tabac…

Well I sure didn’t make it, but I did show some restraint I almost pulled the trigger on lots of stuff but didn’t and for that little bit I’m proud, I’ll try again next month. But anyway last shave for the month.

SOTD: 09/30/2023

Razor: Gillette Ranger Tech
Blade: Personna Lab Blue, 2nd use
Brush: Rooney Style 3 Size 1 Pure Badger
Preshave: PAA The Cube 2.0
Soap: REX Supply Co. 1955
Aftershave: REX Supply Co. 1955
Additional Care: Thayer’s Lavender WH
Fragrance: YSL Body Kouros EdT
You get an A for intent and effort. I want to see some results this October!

We can eliminate November and December already with their anticipated holiday sales so October is your month. Make it happen.

Still in, another successful GRUME! A shout out to all you first timers, part timers or strugglers! See you in October!
I finished September with a bang and a bit of a whimper. I turned again to my fat handled early post war Tech, which I enjoyed so much yesterday I decided to go again with it. I was under the impression that the head screwed down more tightly and secure than my thin handled tech, so I didn’t pay much attention to it. Bad choice! On my final XTG touch up on my chin the head swiveled, leaving me with a 3/4 inch gash. 😱 It took over 5 minutes to stop bleeding! (Blood thinners, gotta luv ‘em!) I’ll probably spot shave that area with an electric a day or two. This puts a bit of a damper on my plans to kick off OC OCtober with my Gillette Old Type. 😞 Oh well, first world problems.

Day 30, 100% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Felt half-asleep, so finished September with the autopilot razor.

I'll give October a try. There are two new Game Changer baseplates I might buy if I see them listed somewhere, but I'm not going to chase them up.

Out, final shave of September

The past few days I've been shaving with old gear I used when I started wet shaving (about 2 years ago I think), inspired by @tjsgarden Proraso, King C. Gillette, etc. I found that I still don't like the King C. Gillette, and that Proraso is really good for the price.

SOTD, September 30, 2023

Razor: Rockwell 2C (Plate 3)
Soap: Stirling Baker Street
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Boti Brush, "Wizard of Oz"/DSCosmetic G7 Synthetic 24MM
AS: Stirling Unscented

The Rockwell is the 2nd razor I bought after the King C. Gillette. I still get weepers on my neck if I go ATG, but plate 3 does a fairly good job everywhere else. It was good to revisit, but I still don't like the razor. I think I'm using too shallow of an angle on my neck. Stirling always does a B+ job, not as good as premium artisan soaps, but well enough to make you feel dumb for paying over $20 for a 4oz. puck of something else.

Now, because I absolutely love all the SOTD posts by @Beto Salatini, I figured I would also share what I was listening to during my evening shave, the great Willie Nelson.

IMG_2280.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg

Mission completed. Final shave of September was as follows:
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (6/7/9)
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Shavemac Silvertip Badger
Cream: Trumper Eucris

Post-Shave: Alum Block
Acqua Velva Ice Blue AS
Trumper Eucris Skin Food
Chanel Antaeus EDT

Wonderful shave to close out this GRUME. Wonderful relaxed and enjoyable it was too. Fatboy and Med Prep blade were on point and resulted in a BBS shave. Opted for Eucris as it’s one of my favourite scents from Trumper. Went classic to finish with the Antaeus EDT, which complemented the Eucris admirably.
Now onto October GRUME if I can find the thread.

IMG_0422.jpeg

GRUME Day! - "Looks like we made it"

Congratulations fellow GRUMErs! See you all in October as I am going for the coveted double. But I will never forget my first :) It was funnest!

Final shave was a quickie as I was going to skip today and go three days but it was coming in thick and I did not want to have to deal with multiple passes tomorrow as I am a one-and-done pass shaver with targeted touch ups.

Jack Black Beard Lube - Excellent stuff and no brush mess to clean up. Don't be fooled by its thinness
Gillette Nacet (7) - This blade is my favorite for my slants
Piccolo Closed Comb Slant (FCCS) - I love slants
The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Balm - This stuff is really nice, albeit too expensive nowadays
Bloc Osma alum - good for feedback on skin damage and antiseptic benefits

"That's all folks"
Congrats! Well done 😀

Hi guys
Because I like giving stuff away....
Back in early September I offered some vintage Polsilver blades as a PIF to members of the September Grume. Saving on shipping costs I will send a tuck of these blades to three individuals. Random generator landed on:

@Doti B
@JAHE
@Abz88

If interested, please send me a PM with your mailing address. Thank you.

Guys these blades just don't work for me. Not sure why. I purchased ten tucks from a forum member and honestly I thought Polsilvers would be the cat's meow. I've given some away already and haven't had any complaints so maybe it's just me.

IMG_5509.jpg

Hi guys
Because I like giving stuff away....
Back in early September I offered some vintage Polsilver blades as a PIF to members of the September Grume. Saving on shipping costs I will send a tuck of these blades to three individuals. Random generator landed on:

@Doti B
@JAHE
@Abz88

If interested, please send me a PM with your mailing address. Thank you.

Guys these blades just don't work for me. Not sure why. I purchased ten tucks from a forum member and honestly I thought Polsilvers would be the cat's meow. I've given some away already and haven't had any complaints so maybe it's just me.

View attachment 1731699
Uuuuh. I wasn't even aware you were offering a PIF... nor am I aware I entered the PIF... 🤣
That's awesone @awk_m4

This beeing said, I really would like to try a few of these vintage blades... but, in any case, I would counter-offer to send you some blades in exchange (sort of a trade, if you will :) )

Do we get a legal sign off by the lord of the rules for this? @FoolishMortal

Uuuuh. I wasn't even aware you were offering a PIF... nor am I aware I entered the PIF... 🤣
That's awesone @awk_m4

This beeing said, I really would like to try a few of these vintage blades... but, in any case, I would counter-offer to send you some blades in exchange (sort of a trade, if you will :) )

Yes it's all good. Everyone who entered September GRUME was automatically entered in the draw. Rules were modified to account for unsolicited gifts.

That's awesone @awk_m4

Yes it's all good. Everyone who entered September GRUME was automatically entered in the draw. Rules were modified to account for unsolicited gifts.
Unsolicited gifts are fine. Trades are even better.

It's also okay to do a GRUME-friendly classic PIF, so long as the winner agrees to set up their own PIF to give away something of equal or greater value.

Prep: Hot water
Razor: Parker Shavette
Blade: Derby Extra (1)
Soap: Palmolive
Post shave: Alum block
AS: Blue Stratos

Absolutely quality shave. A teeny tiny bit of irritation.

9.9/10, BBS. Still don't want to buy nothin'.

Top Bottom