What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - Can You Fffeeeeelll The Difference?!?

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: silver dot WBBL Gillette Platinum #2 (1)
Soap: Frankensoap (1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh)
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Old Spice followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Actually a very good shave with the silver dot GP. On first go round with the silver dot, I didn't like it until I realized that one edge had somehow been dulled. Then on the last shave I only used one side of it, and the shave was quite good. Today, for the second round of the silver dot GP I didn't have that issue and the resulting shave was very good. As per usual, the first shave was a little less smooth than I expect subsequent shaves to be, but the blade is certainly very sharp. I'm also getting over a cold and have been blowing my nose like crazy so my face is pretty chapped from the kleenexes. That being said, I expect shave #2 to be even better. If shaves 2-4 are just as good as the black dot GP I'd be hard pressed to find a winner between the 2 GPs and the SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum. The black dot and the SMBDP are both very good blades with the black dot GP edging it by a whisker regarding sharpness.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9392.jpeg

Blade challenge can you fffeeeelllll the difference.​

Fourth shave this morning on the Gillette Platinum Silver Dot White Box Blue Lettering blade. Another really good shave this morning, nothing to report just a really good shave to start my Thursday. Not much sting when I used my Alum Block so I am sure that this blade will make my usual seven shaves per blade.

Tradere OC, Gillette Platinum Light Blue (2), Wee Scot, Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica, Captain's Choice Bay Rum aftershave

The second shave with this Light Blue was much like the first, but ever so slightly smoother. Once again the blade seems to have improved slightly after the first use.

Razor: Merkur 38c blue
Blade: Gillette Platinum #2 shave #2(silver)
Soap: WSP gaelic tweed w/menthol sprinkles ☃️ 🥶
Pre Shave: PAA menthol cube & Stirling glacial ❄️
Brush: TNS Ghost 👻
Aftershave: WSP Gaelic Tweed

Felt a little tuggy, but not annoyingly so. I think it was because of (at least perceived) razor increased gap. The weight on the blue aluminium 38c is probably the same or less than the bulky r89 twist I think. Everything was smooth maybe a little more buffing, but felt no danger or irritation 8.5/10.

White Dot, Blade 2, Side 1, Shave 5

Razor: Leaf Shaving Twig
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Brush: Omega 10005
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Pre-shave: Stirling unscented soap - Proraso White cream
Lather: AOS Bourbon
Aftershave: Bootleggers Eldorado

The shave was not as close today as on the last couple of shaves. The lather is new and I think, perhaps, that it was thicker than works best for me. Thus it cushioned my face too much. I’ll change things up on the next shave to get more information.

IMG_3111.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9408.jpeg

Fifth shave for the week and fifth shave on the Gillette Platinum Silver Dot White Lettering blade. Another pretty good shave this morning, starting to notice a little more sting when using my Alum Block but the shaves have been really good.

White Dot, Blade 2, Side 1, Shave 6

The blade has reached its end. A little bit of irritation and not close enough. But since I only used one side with this razor, it’s equivalent to 12 shaves using it as a double edge. Not bad at all.

Razor: Twig
Blade: Gillette Platinum (6)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Brush: Butterscotch badger
Lather: AOS Oud
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Balm: Tabac

IMG_3114.jpeg

Razor: pre-war Gillette Tech
Blade: silver dot WBBL Gillette Platinum #2 (2)
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Another good shave. This is my first time to pair the silver dot GP with the pre-war Tech. Ended with a very good shave, and the silver dot blade #2 is better than silver dot #1. Therefore, I'm going to say that silver dot #1 that had one dull side was probably an anomaly.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9424.jpeg

Saturday so of course it’s my sixth shave of the week. Sixth shave on the Silver Dot White Box Blue Lettering blade. Another pretty good shave this morning. I did have a little more zing when I used my Alum Block but if I didn’t use an Alum Block I wouldn’t have any feedback. The shave was still good, no nicks or bleeding or redness. I would rate this a good blade for me to use.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9451.jpeg

Seventh and last shave for this week and seventh and last shave on the Gillette Platinum White Box Blue Lettering blade. I achieved my goal of seven shaves per blade but this blade struggled this morning. It struggled ATG on the final pass and when I was rinsing between passes I could feel more stubble than usual. I would definitely use this blade in a blade rotation as the two times that I used it during this challenge it has worked well enough for me to like the blade.

Razor: pre-war Gillette Tech
Blade: silver dot WBBL Gillette Platinum #2 (3)
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

An excellent shave today. The result was very good and on par with the other 2 blades. I still find the silver dot to be slightly less smooth than the other two, but it's certainly a sharp blade. I'd buy the black dot or the SuperMax Blue Diamond first, but they're all good blades.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9466.jpeg

Sixth and last week for me in the Can you fffeeeelllll the difference blade challenge. Last chance with the Black Dot Gillette Platinum Blue Box White Lettering blade. I had a really good start to my Monday morning. I had a great shave this morning with this blade, nothing to report just a really great shave to start the working week.

Black dot BBWL Platinum, blade #3, shave #5, final shave

Recently bought the Masamune (again). This blade delivers a perfect shave in this razor too. Like I said before, seems to do well in a lot of different razors. This is my last post here in this topic, so thanks again for making this possible all!

full

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I know this is unorthodox, and not officially part of this blade challenge. But the KCG blade is super close to the new Light blue box Platinum blade that it begs comparison. At the very beginning of this blade challenge, I did indicate that I would be including the KCG in my testing, and no one complained about it. So here goes.

The KCG blade has been compared to the light blue box Platinum since day one. There was a lot of speculation early on that it was a repackaged light blue box Platinum. I don’t think so. The performance is quite similar, so I can see why that comparison comes up often. However, it’s the endurance that is so incredibly different. The light blue box Platinum gives me 3 excellent shaves. After shave 3, the Plat will reliably lose its edge. Every time. It just falls off the cliff. The KCG, however, will last me 7 to 9 shaves. Even though they perform the same, and feel the same during the shave, the KCG will last for up to three times as many shaves. Sort of makes the ridiculously high price worthwhile. But I still can’t bring myself to pay over $50 for a hundred KCG’s. So, the blades can not be the same. There is no way.

My last two shaves have been with the KCG. They do feel the same as the Platinum. The only mystery with the KCG is that there was a bit of tugging around the mustache and soul patch areas on both shaves. But, these two shaves did have a couple extra days of growth. At least 4 days before each of those shaves. So that might be the cause. But the rest of those shaves were silky smooth and ultra close. Further testing is going to be needed.

Those last two shaves were exactly the same kit, except for the razor. Shave 1 was a CG Gen 2 Level 2. Shave 2 was done with the Wolf 1.15. They both have very comparable performance and closeness. The Wolf is so much smoother though. It’s the king.

Stay smooth!

20240103_165328.jpeg

IMG_1598.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9482.jpeg

Second shave for this week and second shave on the Gillette Platinum Black Dot. I had a good shave this morning, no blood and very little zing when I used my Alum Block. Just a good start to my Tuesday morning.

Razor: Merkur 38c aluminum blue barberpole 💈
Blade: Gillette Platinum #2 shave #3(silver)
Soap: WSP gaelic tweed w/menthol sprinkles ☃️ 🥶
Pre Shave: PAA menthol cube & Stirling glacial ❄️
Brush: AP Shaveco G5B
Aftershave: WSP Gaelic Tweed

Felt pretty close to last shave, maybe a touch better because of 🚿 8.8/10

Blade: silver dot WBBL Gillette Platinum #2 (4)

Well, darn it all. I was all set to declare the silver dot as less than the other two blades and then magic happened today - on the 4th shave with this blade! This was the best shave that I've had with the silver dot to date. I was going to bin it after 4, but I put it back in the stash to shave again with next time to see.

So end of the day after 8 shaves with each blade (4 shaves with 2 blades of each line), I'm going to say that they all perform fairly evenly. Now back to the original question. Can I pfeeeel a difference? I'm going to say yes I can feel a difference. The SuperMax is very smooth, but less sharp than the GPs. The black dot is sharper, but less smooth than the SuperMax on the first shave and then smooths out after that. The silver dot takes a shave or two to completely smooth out but is very sharp. Now if I were handed one of the blades in a blind test and were told to shave and take a guess, could I get it right? 🤷‍♂️. I doubt it. So, yes, I feel a difference. No, I likely couldn't pick them out. Yes, they all give very good shaves. IF I were to rank them based upon my preferences and experience, I'd go: black dot = SuperMax > silver dot (by a whisker).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I believe I have been remiss in reporting on my shaves! Can you believe that @fast shaver ?!?

I THINK I have used the blade with a silver dot for 8 shaves, this last one in the shower, with an old bar of Irish Spring as a lubricant.

It SEEMS like this shave was a TINY bit less satisfying. Kind of left my incredibly handsome face feeling dry. Maybe it's the weather?

I also used the @matwho Titanium Timeless. Finally figgering it out, I believe.

I'll use it another time, or two, before I switch to the black dot Platinum. Should give it two uses, to be sure I tried it 10 times at least.

It's been a really great blade, besides this last time.

On the official @BigJ rating scale, I'd have to give an 8 out 10.

Thanks all of you Gents that put this on!

Blade: silver dot WBBL Gillette Platinum #2 (4)

Well, darn it all. I was all set to declare the silver dot as less than the other two blades and then magic happened today - on the 4th shave with this blade! This was the best shave that I've had with the silver dot to date. I was going to bin it after 4, but I put it back in the stash to shave again with next time to see.

So end of the day after 8 shaves with each blade (4 shaves with 2 blades of each line), I'm going to say that they all perform fairly evenly. Now back to the original question. Can I pfeeeel a difference? I'm going to say yes I can feel a difference. The SuperMax is very smooth, but less sharp than the GPs. The black dot is sharper, but less smooth than the SuperMax on the first shave and then smooths out after that. The silver dot takes a shave or two to completely smooth out but is very sharp. Now if I were handed one of the blades in a blind test and were told to shave and take a guess, could I get it right? 🤷‍♂️. I doubt it. So, yes, I feel a difference. No, I likely couldn't pick them out. Yes, they all give very good shaves. IF I were to rank them based upon my preferences and experience, I'd go: black dot = SuperMax > silver dot (by a whisker).
And a big thank you to @Grundi , @Space_Cadet , and @Tathlum for making this PIF possible.

Top Bottom