What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - Can You Fffeeeeelll The Difference?!?

Silver Dot - Blade 2, Side 1, Shave 3
EXCELLENT

Twig
Gillette Platinum (3)
Yaqi Green Obsidian
Captain’s Choice Copper
Stirling Smoky Grapefruit
Clubman Classic Vanilla

IMG_3091.jpeg

Razor: Muhle R89 twist
Blade: Gillette Platinum #2 shave #1(silver)
Soap: SVC Cubebe with menthol sprinkles ☃️ 🥶
Pre Shave: PAA menthol cube & Stirling glacial ❄️
Brush: AP shave co 26mm independent UHD
Aftershave: Stirling Campania

The added menthol was very refreshing ❄️ The slightly bigger gap and the bulk of the razor might have slowed it down just a touch, but still amazingly smooth 10/10.

Razor- Gillette Red Tip
Blade- Super Max Blue Diamond Platinum
Blade 2 Shave 3&4
Soap- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush- Boti 23mm SHD Horse Hair

Shave 3 was a solid DFS and shave 4 was a BBS.
Can I feel the difference? Yes, each blade has a it's own qualities. The blue dot was sharper out the wrapper and smoothed out with use. The silver dot was consistently smoother and Super Max got better with use. All delivered excellent shaves. Rumor has it Super Max shut it's doors and most likely the Gillette's will no longer be produced in Russia. Glad I got a modest supply of these blades😃

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9305.jpeg

Blade challenge can you fffeeeelllll the difference.​

Sixth shave on my Gillette NDC Gold Ball End Tech and the Super Max Blue Diamond blade for this week. Another great shave this morning, no blood reduction etc and I did notice a little more zing when I applied my Alum Block but the shave was really good. This blade would definitely be a keeper for me.

Black Dot Blade Three, Shave #7

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2-band
Soap: MWF ‘tallow’
Splash: Fine American blend

Comment: Another fine shave from this excellent blade: 9/10 on day 7!!:a29::a29:

Summary of Black Dot Blade Three: 9, 10, 10, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9. Average: 9.5!!

We go to the score cards!! :a11::a11:

Silver Dot
Blade One
: 9.5, 10, 9.5, 9.5. 9.5, 9, 9. Average 9.42.
Blade Two: 9, 10, 10, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5. 9. Average 9.50.
Blade Three: 9, 9.5, 10, 10, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5. Average 9.57.

Black Dot
Blade One:
9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9. Average 9.43.
Blade Two: 9, 9.5, 10, 10, 9.5, 9, 9. Average 9.43.
Blade Three: 9, 10, 10, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9. Average 9.50.

Comment: First, a HUGE Thank You to @Grundi, @Space-Cadet, and @Tathlum!! This was great fun!

Second, these are great blades! Every shave was rated in the ‘good-to-great’ range!! Every shave!

Third, I use a 10-point scale, usually going in 0.5 gradations. To evaluate these blades I had to average results to TWO DECIMAL POINTS. This is within my personal margin of error. And IMHO within the range of batch-to-batch production variation.

In other words, BigJ could not feel the difference!! :a47::a47::a47::a47:

The shave with the Platinum Dark Blue last night initially felt pretty much the same as the shave with the Light Blue felt, but once I started applying the lather for the third pass, I could feel a bit of low grade irritation over the entire shave area. It was barely perceptible, but it was there. It was so faint I almost thought I was imagining it, but the Captain's Rum doesn't lie.

I'm hopeful that this misstep is cleared up in the second shave.

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: black dot BBWL Gillette Platinum #2 (3)
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

A very good shave. I ended up with a few red spots, but that was my fault at the end for buffing too much and without enough lubrication (cream or water). I don't blame that on the blade. It did its job well.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9323.jpeg

Blade challenge can you fffeeeelllll the difference, seventh and last shave for this week with the Super Max Blue Diamond blade. I am very happy with this blade, I did give myself a small weeper on my left cheek but that was my fault. This blade has given me seven great shaves which I aim for with every blade that I use. I would definitely use it again and I would be happy to buy them in the hundreds if I ever need blades in the future.
Max Blue Diamond

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9343.jpeg

Week five of this challenge for me. Back using the Gillette Platinum Silver Dot White Box Blue Lettering blade. First shave was much like the last time round, reasonably good shave and the blade should mellow out like last time into a great blade for the week.

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: black dot BBWL Gillette Platinum #2 (4)
Cream: Palmolive classic
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

A very good shave. The blade has started to slow down a bit, but the end result is perfectly acceptable. I have binned it after 4 shaves, but I enjoyed the black dot BBWL Gillette Platinum. I have one more silver dot GP to go and then I'll render a comparison on the 3 blades.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9356.jpeg

Second go round with the Silver Dot White Box Blue Lettering Gillette Platinum blade. A good shave today, I used Derby Soap and my fantastic little Omega 10777 Boar Brush. No dramas today, just a good shave and a really great start to my Tuesday morning.

⚫️ Dot #2 Shave 1:
1.65 Ti WR2
Melange soap
Wonderful first shave with this blade. Smooth not harsh and sharp, zero tugging even with 4-5 days growth.
I’m leaning towards this blade over the 🔘. Both times this blade has been better for me out of the gate and it has had much better longevity for the first round.

Platinum White Dot - Blade 2, Side 1, Shave 4

Razor: Twig
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Brush: Yaqi 20mm synthetic
Pre-shave: Stirling unscented soap - Proraso White
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Lather: Fine Fresh Vetiver
Aftershave: Bootleggers Bay Rum and Vanilla

Great shave today. Smooth and efficient.

IMG_3104.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9372.jpeg

Blade chaLe he can you fffeeeelllll the difference.​

Wednesday morning so third shave of the week for me. Third shave on my Merkur 34G and the Gillette Platinum Silver Dot White Box Blue Lettering blade. I had a really good shave today, nothing to report out of the ordinary just a really good shave to start my Wednesday.

Today black dot BBWL Platinum, blade #3, shave #1

Paired with the Mühle R106 this gives nothing but a comfortable, smooth shave. Excellent blade, made me use the Gillette Platinums more often again. Thanks again all who made this happen for this PIF, really looking forward to the next (surprise) PIF!

Top Bottom