What's new

What blades to try next?

Hi
Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before.

I have just started DE shaving, and the setup that I got included 100 Derby Extra blades. They seem to be doing an ok job on my cheeks and chin, but my neck gets red and blotchy after each shave.

I realise that it is likely to be a result of newbie bad technique, but after reading some comments on these forums, can't help but wonder whether the blades might at least be partly to blame.

One of the local-ish suppliers offers sampler packs of blades; one pack has:
Astra SP
Astra SS
Shark
Rapira Platinum
Big Ben
Derby Extra

Another has:
Feather
Bozano Superinox
Croma
Gillette 7 oclock
Polsilver
Polsilver super iridium

I can't afford to get both at the moment, and was hoping that there might be a consensus about which would be the better of the two to get to try find out whether it is actually a blade issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.
regards
Sean

With Feather, 7 o'clock and super iridium in the second pack, that sure looks like the better option to me. But those are some of the sharpest blades out there, so coming from a Derby it might be quite different than what you're used to using.

With Feather, 7 o'clock and super iridium in the second pack, that sure looks like the better option to me. But those are some of the sharpest blades out there, so coming from a Derby it might be quite different than what you're used to using.

Thanks for that advice! I have to admit that when I decided to ditch the cartridges I never realised how many choices and variables there were in this DE shaving game. On the plus side, even given the issues that I am having, there are no regrets. My worst DE shave has been better than my best cartridge shave.

I had similar problems with Derby blades, I got smooth, close shaves with them, but they always left my face feeling hot, red, puffy and unbelievably itchy, cold towels, alum and aftershave always soothed it, so I think I'm probably allergic to one of the chemicals in the coating.

The 1st sampler has blades that are mild to medium aggressive - my 2 favourite blades are Astra SP and Rapira Platinum Lux, the only disadvantage with this sampler is that it contains Derby blades

The 2nd sampler has Feather, which are the sharpest, and although they're very good blades, you need a lot of care and attention when using them or they'll bite you !! I've got no experience with the rest of the blades in this sampler

I had similar problems with Derby blades, I got smooth, close shaves with them, but they always left my face feeling hot, red, puffy and unbelievably itchy, cold towels, alum and aftershave always soothed it, so I think I'm probably allergic to one of the chemicals in the coating.

The 1st sampler has blades that are mild to medium aggressive - my 2 favourite blades are Astra SP and Rapira Platinum Lux, the only disadvantage with this sampler is that it contains Derby blades

The 2nd sampler has Feather, which are the sharpest, and although they're very good blades, you need a lot of care and attention when using them or they'll bite you !! I've got no experience with the rest of the blades in this sampler

thanks Adam!

You might want to check out Tryablade. They're in the U.S., but their international shipping is pretty reasonable. You can buy blades one at a time, which is a huge plus for me. I'm done with sampling 5 and 10 packs; I wound up with way too many blades I don't like.:thumbdown If anyone in NZ offers a similar service, then that would obviously be a good way to go.

Last edited:
You might want to check out Tryablade. They're in the U.S., but their international shipping is pretty reasonable. You can buy blades one at a time, which is a huge plus for me. I'm done with sampling 5 and 10 packs; I wound up with way too many blades I don't like.:thumbdown If anyone in NZ offers a similar service, then that would obviously be a good way to go.

I was going to make the suggestion, but then I noticed the $5 international shipping before adding in the cost of blades. If picking up more than just a few blades, that could get to be more expensive if there are some local (and cheaper) sampling options available. However, it's still a good site to visit just to see the plethora of blades that are still on the market.

For 'budget' blades nothing beats the Astra SS for me. I find them much smoother than the SP. For 'premium' blades I like GSB.

IMO you have two issues:

#1. Technique. As you improve your blade preferences will likely change.
#2. Derby has never bee more than acceptable for me. For me it is neither sharp nor smooth.

My preference would be the second sampler, but it contains some of the sharpest blades. For a new shaver, the first sampler (minus the Derbys) may be a better option.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

I've spoken to my 'dealer' :) and they are going to swap out the Derbys in the first sample pack for something else (wilkinson sword, I think).

I figure that given it is likely a technique issue as much as anything else, I will save the ultra sharp blades for a little further down the road when I am less like to slice my face off! If the blades in this sample pack don't resolve my issues then I will be a lot more confident that it is technique than tools.

Thanks again for your help.
Sean

Thanks Daveho, that is very kind.
I'm quite serious.
My preferred blades aren't on these lists though if you enjoy a sharp blade you will love what I've got;
GSB
Nacet
Rubie
Perma-sharp
As you can see I have a soft spot for Gillette made Russian blades but I've used many a blade and these are the cream of the crop in my opinion. I've got a vew other odds and ends I'll chuck in for you but those are my favourites.

Top Bottom