What's new

My Top Ten Blades

My list so far. The best is on the BOTTOM, not the top. Mind you, my test hasn't gotten to Lord or Personna yet so these are very likely to be revised.

Dollar Platinum
Crown Super Stainless
Asco Super Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue Stainless
EMP800
Gillette Silver Blue
Feather New High Stainless
Bolzano Superinox Inossideabile
Big Ben Super Stainless
Ladas Stainless
Gillette Nacet

My list so far. The best is on the BOTTOM, not the top. Mind you, my test hasn't gotten to Lord or Personna yet so these are very likely to be revised.

Dollar Platinum
Crown Super Stainless
Asco Super Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue Stainless
EMP800
Gillette Silver Blue
Feather New High Stainless
Bolzano Superinox Inossideabile
Big Ben Super Stainless
Ladas Stainless
Gillette Nacet
My list changes from time to time: I've added the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge tentatively to my list although I've only used one blade so far. It was that good. 🤣
I guess out of my list, I'd probably drop the Derby Extra, although it's still a blade I really, really like. It was my original go-to blade when I started traditional shaving, partially because Edwin Jagger shipped a tuck with the DE89 I bought and I liked the blade right from the start. But I've tried so many brands since I began that I confess I'd shuffle a few new ones in and a few out as well. I'll probably update my Top Ten one of these days ...

Happy to see my near-favorite Bolzanos getting some love! It's been awhile since I've check in at B&B, and a few years back it seems they were kind of a niche blade. I've always loved them and stocked up on them back when there were rumors that their German manufacture might discontinue them.

My own list goes something like this:
Top-tier, in no order:
Polsilver
Wizamet
Bolzano (Germany)
Wilkinson Super Sword (vintage UK)
Wilkinson London Bridge (vintage UK)

Excellent, in no order:
Kai
Personna Red
Permasharp
Treet Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux or Swedes

I'm still exploring, but in no particular order:

Wizamet
Dorco (all)
Derby USTA
Treet Durasharp
Treet Carbon
Kai
Treet 7 Days
AccuForge (Lab Prep & Med Prep)
Suneko
Permaharp

I've been collecting for a while to do a study to try and figure some "science" behind the blade, razor, face interaction. Got a BESS measurement tool, digital microscope, skin moisture meter, calibrated microscope slides (for distances and angles), researching how to measure slickness on the skin... it's my retirement project. Oh yea, and a whole lot of blades. Hoping to officially start in March or April.

Attachments

• 20240130_200319.jpg
    20240130_200319.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 304
My favorite blades list hasn't changed much. I'd put the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow) in there in about the 5th slot and maybe drop the Derby Extra.
One thing has changed ... and pretty radically: blade prices.
😢
I was perusing Amazon earlier tonight and was shocked by the rise in blade prices. Mainly Russian blades, of course, like Nacet and Perma-Sharp since they've been moved out of that country due to the war. Astras remain a bargain, having also moved, in their case to India. But many blades have doubled, even tripled in price.
I'm glad I went on a mini-buying spree last year and stocked up on some of my favorites. Because it might be awhile before I buy a lot blades again ... not that I need to buy any for awhile.
I'm glad I got into traditional shaving when I did, ahead of the inflationary rocket ride.

Top Bottom