What's new

Rank These Blades in Sharpness

As in title. If you haven't tried them all, please participate with the ones you have used. Don't worry about being "right" or scientific - I'm interested in subjective opinions. Feel free to slot in your own benchmark blades too, if that makes sense.

In no particular order:
Astra SP
Lord Platinum
Shark Super Chrome
Derby Premium
Dorco ST300/ST301
Sharp Titanium
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India)
Treet Platinum

These types of threads are near impossible to answer.

In short, they are all sharp and 50 replies will get you 50 different answers. Sharpness is only one of many factors in how well a blade performs.

Feather is the only blade people generally, not all, agree is the sharpest.

More info here.

Thread 'Please order this selection of blades from sharpest to least sharp' Please order this selection of blades from sharpest to least sharp - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/please-order-this-selection-of-blades-from-sharpest-to-least-sharp.644478/

Thread 'Blade ranking in order of aggressiveness ?' Blade ranking in order of aggressiveness ? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/blade-ranking-in-order-of-aggressiveness.648536/

Last edited:
How about dullest and work your way up....sorry, had too...

Or do the tomato test....
Later utilize those tomato slices & add bacon, lettuce, mayo, cheese (YMMV) on two great slices of bread!

BFX

if you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong

In short, they are all sharp and 50 replies will get you 50 different answers. Sharpness is only one of many factors in how well a blade performs.

More info here.

Thread 'Please order this selection of blades from sharpest to least sharp' Please order this selection of blades from sharpest to least sharp - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/please-order-this-selection-of-blades-from-sharpest-to-least-sharp.644478/

Thread 'Blade ranking in order of aggressiveness ?' Blade ranking in order of aggressiveness ? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/blade-ranking-in-order-of-aggressiveness.648536/
Sure, I understand that. I did note I was interested in subjective opinions, particularly with the blades I listed. Thanks for the links though.

Genuinely interested. Please offer your rankings. I am very curious what the perceived sharpest blade is from the above list.

As in title. If you haven't tried them all, please participate with the ones you have used. Don't worry about being "right" or scientific - I'm interested in subjective opinions. Feel free to slot in your own benchmark blades too, if that makes sense.

In no particular order:
Astra SP
Lord Platinum
Shark Super Chrome
Derby Premium
Dorco ST300/ST301
Sharp Titanium
Treet Platinum
Let me try

Astra SP
Lord Platinum
Derby Premium
Dorco ST300/ST301
Treet Platinum
Shark Super Chrome
Sharp Titanium

Still all give me just fine shaves. Full week worth. Hard to rank them.

I find it very hard to rank sharpness, either the blade cuts really well for me, fairly well or not well at all. Given that, of the blades you listed here is my ranking so far of the blades I have tried.
- Astra SP(Russian) - this blade works great for me and I have been using them for about 12 years, seems plenty sharp and really smooth, blades often go at least 15 full face multi pass shaves. I bought some Astra SP (India) but have not used them yet.
- Sharp Titanium - this blade also works very well for me but I have only used one blade so far. It also seems plenty sharp and very smooth. Just a whisker below the Astra SP(Russian) for me.
- Derby Premium - this blade also works very well for me. It also seems plenty sharp and very smooth. Just a whisker below the Sharp Titanium for me.
- Treet Platinum and Gillette Wilkinson Sword(India) are tied for me. They both work pretty well for multiple shaves. Just a whisker less sharp and smooth for me than the above blades are.
- Lord Platinum - works barely ok for me but not great, I bought these a long time ago.
- Dorco ST300 - I just bought some new ones(Vietnam) but have not used them yet. The old ones(Korea) were pretty lousy for me.
- Shark Chrome - These do not work well for me. They are somewhat tuggy and rough. I bought them a long time ago though.

None of the above :)

for me all those blades did not make my top 5 even so as others said this should be good :)

its a ONLY for your face after you find what works or not works for YOU :)

If I were to ask you what are the sharpest non-Gillette/non-Feather blades that you have tried, what would you say?

If I were to ask you what are the sharpest non-Gillette/non-Feather blades that you have tried, what would you say?

The Persona lab blues that are now called accuforge (blades have no markings) are tied to my #2 the Gillete Green 7 blade I would say and are very good
a few threads on this blade now and the confusion of the rebranding they are doing :)

my fav blade is the GSB in the Timeless Ti 68

the treet durasharp for me are really good because they are so so comfy for me of course others do not think so and about the only treet blade I would use and I use over Nacet and way over Astra blades as I am not a fan of astra
but I value comfort big time they are a one and done blade dull super quickly but they are also super cheap

Another non gillette is the Lord Platinum but it has to have that tiny class on the package to me those are better than any other lord and quite confusing in the package as why are they so close to others just that tiny class on it ?
notice package says Platinum but blade says Super Stainless on those lords to :) ahahah confusing for sure and their is a package that is the same but does not have that small class below platinum and is a whole other blade that was not good for me
1711482679804.jpeg

Shark blades in order of best to worse but
platinum (very close to the chrome in sharp but platinum wins in comfort overall)
chrome
stainless (worse by quite a bit for me)

did a lot of side by side shaves comparing :) was fun tedious in a way but fun think it was about 60 blades

doing my top blades again just to see if I am the same months later
and also did the same thing with my soaps and down to just a few favorites
and did it with razors
I truly like just favorite things and not much on variety for variety sake

Hope that helps a bit but truly I found the side by side shaves using the same soap and same razor and same AS splash the only way I could truly get a feel for what each blade was doing and side by side since each day varied a bit and I would just go back and forth for 4 days usually so each blade had a chance on each side a few times :) the YMMV of course ;)

Here's my ranking just for (future) comparison:

Dorco ST300/ST301 (tie)
Treet Platinum (tie)
Astra SP
Lord Platinum
Shark Super Chrome

Derby Premium (not tried)
Sharp Titanium (not tried)

As a generalization, Lord blades tend to feel less sharp on my face than the other brand families I have used (Gillette, Dorco, Treet).

In no particular order:
Astra SP
Lord Platinum
Shark Super Chrome
Derby Premium
Dorco ST300/ST301
Sharp Titanium
Treet Platinum
To me, most of those blades live in the same general vicinity of sharpness. I lump these all into my 'mid-tier/comfortable/usable' blade basket. I'd probably have to use them all back to back to back to refine my preferences.

That said, I've used an Astra SP from India recently, and I thought it was very efficient. If you forced me to answer, I'd probably say the Indian Astra SP, the 'new' Dorco ST300, the Sharp Titanium, and the Gillette Wilkinson Sword lead the pack with the nod to the Indian Astra. The Lord Platinum, and Derby Premium, I recall as more middish sharp, but it's a matter of degrees.

Of course, this is all going from memory and is certainly colored by razor pairings. I'd have to look at my notes, but the Shark Chrome, which I admit is generally probably toward the bottom of my usable list, seems to pair well with one of my razors ( it may be the Slim ) and surprises me in that one particular handle. In most of my razors, it is just fairly passable.

More info here.

+1! I would add that I find Kai as sharp as Feather ‘out of the wrapper,’ plus Kai has better longevity!

Just my $0.02!! :popc::popc:

Now that I have also tried the Indian Wilkinson Sword Gillettes my sharpness ranking is this

Personna Med Prep
Astra SP (Russia)
Treet Platinum
Croma Diamant
Lord Platinum
Dorco Titan
Dorco ST300
Asco stainless
Shark Super Chrome
Derby Premium

Sharp Titanium (not tried)

The sharpest and sharpest of all for me remain the Personna Med Prep.
The Gillette Wilkinson Sword India I am using these days and they have a nice cut in terms of very sharpness, however in my opinion the Russian Astra SP are much sharper.

One step below are Treet Platinum, Croma Diamant (German), Lord Platinum, Dorco Titan, etc in my personal ranking,imho.
This is my $0.02

Top Bottom