What's new

Any Sig guys?

My friend has a Sig he loves, and he's a cheap bastard, so if he's ok with paying that much I know it is a gun I might want to consider. The only problem is I know nothing about Sigs, I've got a Kimber 1911 & a Para Ordnance, so I'm familiar with the 1911 platform. Can someone give me a crash course in the .45 Sigs? I live in NJ so I'm not too worried about the smaller 1911s for carry. I looked at the Sig site and there were a hell of a lot of .45s to look thru, I'm mostly interested in full size guns, I'd consider the smaller frame size as well, but frankly I'm worried about overloading myself with information.

Thanks
Mike

Range trip!!! P220's or you could stay in 1911 format. But I find the 220 grip comfortable and an easy point, I can't remember the last failure to rack or fire. Tritium enhanced sights quick pickup, add crimson trace for an integrated laser... you won't be left wanting for a trigger design that works best for you. But, really go to the Range of a SIG dealer it's the only way to know

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The Sig 226 is the classic full size 9mm Sig auto. 228's are the compact model and 229's were beefed up some to better handle the .40, but they are also made in 9mm and .357 Sig.

The 220 is the .45 and is a pretty good sized auto. I have never been much of a Sig guy myself. I have smaller hands and don't prefer the grip and the bore axis is designed a bit high and forward for my taste.

But there are many fans of Sig who swear by it, and no one can argue Sig's quality, dependability, accuracy and excellence in German engineering.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There is no doubt that a SIG is a quality weapon. A P229 was my duty weapon for several years. I also have a P230 in .380 ACP. I rarely shoot either, but will never part with them.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I love my p226, and am a fan of the double/single action in general. If I had any issue with the full size sig format it's that often my right thumb can ride the slide lock, and this prevents the slide from locking back after the last round. I could keep the thumb lower but it's not as comfortable.

I love my SIGs. They're accurate and very reliable. I'm sort of partial to double/single action, so I've not owned any of their 1911s, but I'm sure they're as high quality as the rest of their line. I own one of their AR-15's (M400), and it's been awesome as well.

$image.jpg

Sig P229. Extremely well made and a joy to shoot. It has a totally different vibe from a 1911.
The P227 is very similar. Chambered for .45 and somewhat larger, but the basic platform is the same.
I have thought I'd like a 227 but I have enough handguns really.

I've got 2 Sigs myself. I have the P245 (all German), and the P227. As mentioned, the P220 is the main full size .45 for Sig, but what attracted me to the 227, is that it holds 10 rounds by using a double-stack magazine. They are easy to tear-down, and I like the low recoil on my 245. I haven't shot my 227 yet, so I can't say much about it except that I love how it feels in my hand!

If you're looking for a full size .45, then you would need to choose between the 220 and 227, and then which ever one feels better in your hand, you would move on to pick the type within each: tacops, elite, color, etc.

P245 with a 220 8 round magazine (and extension adaptor)
$x-grip.jpg

P227 Nitron with night sights
$P227.jpg

Last edited:

OkieStubble

There is no doubt that a SIG is a quality weapon. A P229 was my duty weapon for several years. I also have a P230 in .380 ACP. I rarely shoot either, but will never part with them.

I have shot Sig's new polymer/striker fired edition Sig 320. It's a tack driver.

I love Sigs! I own an original P220 in .45, and recently built my own Sig P228-1 using a P228 parts kit and a P229 frame.

You mentioned cost to start with as well; often there are service units which have been factory refurbished... can save a few coin if you're looking for a functional partner over a new romance... many are nearly new cosmetically too - critical components are all factory fresh and aligned.

OkieStubble

NSW (Naval Special Warfare) SEALS Adopt Glock 19

http://www.gunnuts.net/2015/12/10/naval-special-warfare-to-adopt-glock-19/

The Navy Seals have begun to phase out the Sig 226 MK25 and Sig 239 and will be replacing them in favor of the Glock 19. SEALs are following the same trend that other special operations forces such as JSOC last year and other SOF units in the SOCCOM community, in adopting the Glock 19 as their new standard issue sidearm.

Several reasons stated for the change, is the 19 can fill a lot more roles without taking up as much real estate on an operators kit and the move away from a traditional sized “duty pistol” and a move to an “operators pistol” has been a reason behind the popularity of the G19.

A friend of mine had a P220 SAO. I found the grips a bit large for my hands (I'm a 1911 guy at heart), but the thing was accurate, reliable, and had a nice trigger. When my only complaint is "it didn't fit me right," I've nothing about which to complain--not every pair of pants fits me right, either.

OkieStubble

I just purchased a Sig P320 compact in 9mm. Great gun!

I shot the full sized P320 and was impressed with it's accuracy. They did a great job with this striker fired pistol. The modular trigger system which can switch frame to frame is pretty cool also.

I shot the full sized P320 and was impressed with it's accuracy. They did a great job with this striker fired pistol. The modular trigger system which can switch frame to frame is pretty cool also.

Yes, I love the fact that I can switch the caliber to .40AUTO & .357SIG. Also, by switching grip modules, I can switch between back and forth between different sizes as well.

Went to the range and tried the Sig P320, Glock 19 gen 4, H&K VP9, & FNH FNS 9 in one afternoon and I liked the P320 the best. Followed by the FNS 9, H&K and then Glock 19.

Top Bottom