What's new

ROTD Run Of The Day : post yours

One of my longer runs. I kept it slow, I think a 9:15 pace. I am hoping to run the Crescent City Classic 10K in New Orleans this year in under 45 minutes again (7 minute pace). I'm 46 and got into running seriously pretty late, but I'm OK with 7 minute miles.

I am fortunate I get to run through the city's beautiful city park and along our Lakefront.

Got in 14 miles yesterday but shouldn't have. I fell on ice and banged my knee pretty good around mile 3. Hopefully its better in a few days. Hate losing time due to my own stupidity.

First run after a 6 week layoff. I'm optimistic that Spring is going to come early this year in Beantown.

3.25 miles

Well, since the time of this last post, I came down with the flu, and we've had two significant snowfalls here in Boston....Spring hasn't yet....

Got in 14 miles yesterday but shouldn't have. I fell on ice and banged my knee pretty good around mile 3. Hopefully its better in a few days. Hate losing time due to my own stupidity.

I don't know how you guys do it in the cold weather. I rarely have to run in much below 35 degrees and that doesn't happen often. At that point I have my compression shirt, my tights, a thermal, hat, etc.

My bigger problem is the summer in New Orleans. I try to get up early before the heat really hits, but 80 degrees at 100% humidity is a killer.

I don't know how you guys do it in the cold weather. I rarely have to run in much below 35 degrees and that doesn't happen often. At that point I have my compression shirt, my tights, a thermal, hat, etc.

My bigger problem is the summer in New Orleans. I try to get up early before the heat really hits, but 80 degrees at 100% humidity is a killer.

I don't have much trouble with winter, not that I don't prefer fall and spring, but I'll run in any winter weather. It's summer I hate. When it gets into the 70s I really struggle. If I lived in a place like Louisiana, I don't know if I'd be able to run.

I love the heat! I'd take 100 over 30 any day of the week for 6-8 miles. We had a 30-40 mph wind yesterday at 45 degrees, I can't wait for the summer.

I don't mind the winter. Under 15 gets a bit of a challenge at times. The conditions on the ground are more of a concern for me (space to run safely, ice, etc.). The temperature can be offset by clothing. For me it's easier to fight than high heat/humidity day of mid-summer.

Went out on a new trail today. Too much water in the low lying areas to complete the trails, so I look forward to returning. It has been the wettest dry season here. Ever. All of the trails are under water. Lucky to get nearly 4 miles in without backtracking too much. Started out fairly dry...

...but after traversing some ankle to knee deep sections, I had to double back at this hip high spot....

It was pretty obvious where gators cross the trail, and a bit unnerving to hear rustling reeds as I ran by!
Made a mess of my socks and shoes. I swear I started my run with intact white socks!

Sixty degrees, 50% humidity, and a west wind 11 mph. Running this time of year is a pleasure compared to summer's oppressive heat and humidity. When it is >75° with >70% humidity, so much energy is spent trying to cool off.

Last edited:
:thumbup1:
I did the New England thing, with sub-freezing snow runs, for many years before heading south. Don't remember a winter run I didn't enjoy! Exhilirating! I need the beach year round, though...

I'm itching to get back out there (especially after those pics). Been resting my smashed knee from my fall this weekend for the last few days but plan in testing it tomorrow.

4 miles testing knee this morning. Knee is still bruised but I think I'm good. Ready to face the sub zero windchill we have in store for us this weekend.

Top Bottom