What's new

Why do so many shaving related vendors have such bad customer service?

Hello there! I am a mentholated junkie, so I got to have good quantities of menthol in my shaving diet. I personally use the PAA Chill Mill, which is a menthol mill, similar to a pepper mill, hand grind of course, and uses the PAA frost flakes. Beware of the Yeti, because menthol aint for clowns HAHA Yessir!

proxy.php
proxy.php

PS: I love your avatar, a formulations of pretty triangles! 😍
just wanted to say, i am also a menthol junkie, and after i saw this product i just ordered a big bag of food grade menthol crystals and a glass pepper grinder. saved me a bit of money and i have way more menthol than ill use in a very long time.

it’s about culture… some artisans are too small for their own good, but they can’t scale.

Some distributors try to rely only on their website but mess up with things out of stock and don’t get back to people and try to get a shipment in from a supplier to fill the gap.

All the way around it’s bad if you don’t try to communicate openly.

I’m not a fool, the customer isn’t always right, but being silent when there is an issue is easily a way to self implode.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I pride myself with good communication with my customers. It's an absolute must for me. My whole work life I had daily interactions with customers, personally when I was visiting them for maybe a troubleshoot or introduction of a new product; or On the phone and with emails. Its an important to communicate.
If I cannot get back directly because I am out and have no computer access, then the first thing when I get home. Letting them wait shows the customer that he/she is not important to you.

I guess I'm lucky and, granted, I haven't ordered as many things as some of you have.
But I've had great experiences with Pasteur Pharmacy out of New York (blades), Stirling Soap out of Arkansas (shave soaps) and Maggard's out of Michigan (shave brush).
I've bought several vintage Gillette razors from small vendors in Nebraska and Texas without issues.
I've also ordered blades from the Huge Company Named For A River In Brazil and had absolutely no issues. 🤷‍♂️
Like I said, I guess I'm lucky.
Pasteur and Stirling Soap, in particular, have delivered simply fantastic service.

I pride myself with good communication with my customers. It's an absolute must for me. My whole work life I had daily interactions with customers, personally when I was visiting them for maybe a troubleshoot or introduction of a new product; or On the phone and with emails. Its an important to communicate.
If I cannot get back directly because I am out and have no computer access, then the first thing when I get home. Letting them wait shows the customer that he/she is not important to you.
The fact that you took the time to respond to this thread, shows me exactly how you do business!
👍

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The boots (aka hunting shoes) were made for hunting in marshy places, starting sometime in the early 1900s. They had a rubber foot part, and a treated leather upper part. The company also made specialty clothing for New England outdoor people.
I gave my LL Bean rubber/leather boots rated for -100F to a coworker when we moved to Florida. Those things were great.

I still have 6 thermal long sleeve shirts I bought from them hmmm has to be over 20 years ago now. They show no signs of wear. I've been extremely happy with anything I've purchased from LL Bean without exception.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been trying to remember if I've had poor service from any of the companies from which I've purchased shaving gear, including soaps, etc. I can't think of any. I think I've been lucky... or the companies just did their jobs.

I've made several purchases from European companies as well as the two shaving companies from the UK. They'll all been excellent. I have used many US companies as well. Same results: stellar.

The only problems I've had were packages from Greece and Turkey. The packages from them required a signature (Even though, in both cases, right on the labeling, it said "no signature required" added by Lambda and Rocnel) and both times, we were in Indonesia. We had to have our cat sitter sign the little green card so the USPS would deliver them. I did fret about it a bit but in the end, it all worked out fine.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Rudy, your communications have been excellent, both before the sale when we were hammering out the details of what I needed, and after the orders were placed.

I've mentioned this before but bears repeating. I sent Rudy two ESC Ultimate G4 brushes with two tone aluminum handles I quite liked but synth knots I no longer enjoyed. I asked Rudy to reknot them for me. Rudy took a look at them for me and we both agreed, re-knotting them wasn't possible so we decided they were scrap because the handles were hollow and the knot hole was too shallow to accept a ShaveMac knot. Drilling them out didn't appear to be an option because there just wasn't enough metal there to drill out before you hit the hollow.

Rudy decided to explore things further on his own and came up with a way to make them work. He bored out the holes, filled the handles with cork and resin and then reknotted them. As a result, Eric / @Eric_75 and I have matching badger brushes we both enjoy.

Talk about customer service way and beyond what was expected.

This has been bothering me since I started wet shaving. I've mostly have had great service from the "big & well known" vendors. It's kept me coming back to them. But sometimes I run into items that are sold by others and all I get is silence. Product questions, delayed shipping etc..
It's annoying and frustrating and just makes me look elsewhere for whatever I need (including buying it from Europe). Currently I have product questions from 3 different vendors and days have gone by and nothing!
How do they keep business going with no communication?
If they're like that pre-sale, I can only imagine what it would be like if you'd ever have an issue after you've received the item(s).
Out of common courtesy, I'm not gonna name any companies!
As an avid consumer of goods, I've have bought all sorts of things throughout my life. I've never seen it this bad with any other industry.
If you want to sell, you need communication with your customers!
And I don't want to hear the excuse of: "It's a side business" or "we're a small business".
Communication takes seconds and keeps customers happy!
I know tons of side businesses that service customers as they should.
So that's my rant (from an easy going person)
Let's hear what you think!
Easy. Don't buy from them.
I must mention though. Every time I had business with a seller from the UK in the last 16 years, it was tip top.

Rudy is a fantastic artisan, besides making a great brush you get phenomenal 1 on 1 communication. I think I’ve purchased about 10 brushes from him over the last year.

He is exceptional and I’ll say it bluntly, he is underpriced for what you get.

The PPR (a German thing Price Performance Ratio) is outstanding.

Top Bottom